Roofs. Metal vs Composite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roofs. Metal vs Composite

Looking for an expert opinion on what's better. It's a new house build and the composite/shingle will cost 8k. The metal R panel is 12.5k. What are the pro and cons of each and is it worth the extra cost for the Metal R panel roof.

Thanks

Metal all the way.

If I could put any roof on my home I would have metal with ice and water shield underlayment. You will prob have to replace shingles in your lifetime but the metal will likely outlast you.

Comment

R-panel, U-Panel, or standing seam all day over shingles.

Comment

agree on the above. I replaced my shingle roof with metal.

Comment

Look at insurance costs as well.

Comment

Metal will pay for itself in insurance alone..plus won't ever have to replace

Comment

Is R Panel that much cheaper than standing seam?

I was quoted $135/square for 30 year composite and $450/square for standing seam metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Is R Panel that much cheaper than standing seam?

I was quoted $135/square for 30 year composite and $450/square for standing seam metal.

Yes, R panel is a lot cheaper than standing seam. Of course, it could just be a conspiracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  Yes, R panel is a lot cheaper than standing seam. Of course, it could just be a conspiracy.

Lol. I was asking because I really have no clue.

I would love to have a metal roof on my upcoming house build but not at 3X the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Lol. I was asking because I really have no clue.

I would love to have a metal roof on my upcoming house build but not at 3X the price.

Yes, standing seam is quiet a bit higher. There are more components necessary to install standing seam.

Comment

Metal! Those shingles say they have a warranty but it never covers labor and you will replace it every 10-15 years more if you have hailstorm.

Comment

I had mixed reviews on insurance from a perspective of repairing say "cosmetics" from a hell storm. Some said you had to have a rider on the policy. Along with things such as will they repair cosmetic damage if it doesn't leak. Just know where you stand with the company you use. Some of the older gentlemen around here have had issues with the rubber washers around the screws deteriorating on their older metal r panel roofs. The house we just had built with a 12/2 pitch we went with composition.

Comment

Metal all the way. We have metal roof on our house. 11 years old and have never had an issue. Keeps things cooler in the summer and also get a discount on insurance.

Comment

In 2014 back in PA we had the roof replaced on our house and garage with metal. It was about $6800 for the small house (24x39) and garage (16x25). Here in Texas our house is only 30x30, but two stories. The pitch is fairly steep, if that matters? The lowest metal estimate we got was $12,500. We had architectural shingles put on for ~$6500 last summer. I really wanted to go with metal but the shingles were a lot cheaper and I was off work from back surgery so we had to go cheaper. The only thing about the metal I did not like was the noise in a heavy rain, and it suffered some dents from hail. I imagine Texas hail is a lot worse. Looking at a dented roof the rest of my life would drive me nuts, so make sure your insurance will fix cosmetic issues.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Looking for an expert opinion on what's better. It's a new house build and the composite/shingle will cost 8k. The metal R panel is 12.5k. What are the pro and cons of each and is it worth the extra cost for the Metal R panel roof.

Thanks
                              I am a project manager for a roofing company in the North Texas area. Metal vs. Composite has several major differences/ reasons to pick one. Obviously cost. People say metal is going to outlast shingles. They are not wrong, but initially metal is usually going to cost double or even triple that of shingles. You have to do the math over the long run on insurance and all that. If you were to have a hail storm insurance is going to pay to have your roof replaced. With most roofing companies you and them can work together to help with deductibles. So you aren't coming out of pocket. Your premiums may go up a couple $'s a month. Also, if you have big enough hail, it isn't going to matter if you have metal or composite. Your roof is still going to be damaged.
                              The next biggest thing to look at is what your roof design is going to be. If you have a very steep, and cut up roof metal isn't a great option. The more places metal has to be cut and bent, and formed in a un-natural way the higher the chance of leaks occurring in the future. Where as shingles are proven work much better on a roof that has many different cuts, angles, and pitch. Don't get me wrong, if I had the right roof I would prefer metal as well. Something about that sweet sound of rain hitting metal. But it entirely depends on the design of your roof, and the size of your bank account. PM me if you have any questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X