Moving to Portland Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Portland Oregon

I made a thread a while back about moving to Idaho which I was super stoked about due to the cheap housing and hunting/fishing opportunities but my company has flipped the script on me.

Now they want me in Portland Oregon area. I need some advice on where to live, where to hunt, where to fish. The housing market is insane so I have already told them they need to bump my pay in a big way to live out there.

My house I sold in TX for $150k is like $350k out there. I thought it was bad coming to the Austin area.

Give me some info if you have any

Good news, they just started letting you pump your own gas in Oregon....

Comment

A corporate friend of mine from Eli Lilly loved it out there. He is originally from Witchita, Kansas and started using the train and his bicycle for ALL transportation. Hardly ever used his company car or his own cars. They got into the scene big time and want to move back after this latest tour in Indianapolis at corporate. (They are in there late 30's, early 40's) I was shocked as he did not seem like the type of person to like that area........I can say my visits there were nice enough but definitely not somewhere I could live. A small San Francisco is the best I could explain..........and YES, way too pricey on housing!

Comment

Sorry. I just read of a large brewery moving just up the road here from Portland today. The cost of square footage and taxes in Portland was the reason. Good luck with your transition.

Comment

Remember you can’t shoot the tweakers when they are stealing your stuff.Lots of good hunting around the coast and eastern Oregon

Comment

It would have to be a really big bump for me to live there.

Comment

Let me know if you have any questions I lived in the Portland area for 7 years. It’s not Texas, but it’s not that bad either. Elk, black tail deer, salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, smallmouth and large mouth bass fishing all within a 2 hour drive of Portland and most within 30 miles. With the right job I wouldn’t hesitate to move back to Oregon.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Deschutes makes some awesome beer

Comment

I think if your an outdoors man you'll enjoy your stay.

Comment

Hillsboro was a pretty nice area when I was up there for work. It did rain 6 out of the 7 days I was there. Pretty cold too. The coastal areas were magnificent! The most beautiful beaches that I have seen.

Comment

I could live in Portland...for a few years!

Comment

Beautiful place and sportsman's paradise.

Comment

If you see the sun, you have to repent and slaughter a chicken. My friends in Tillamook say it rains about 250 days a year! Even the mold has mold.

Comment

My youngest lives in Seattle. Has a great job there with territory in Portland. They love it. You will be close to skiing / snowboarding in the winter and fishing / incredible hiking in the summer.

Be sure and check out a place called Bend...just southeast of Portland. They loved it and said it reminded them a bit of Gruene. I can't wait to check that one out!!!

Comment

One option you may not have looked at is living across the river in Washington State (no income tax) if you are working in Portland (No sales tax in Oregon).

I was stationed at McChord out of Tacoma, but a few guys moved to the ANG out of Portland and love it. They do a lot of duck hunting up the river there, and in Yakima, blacktail and elk hunting in both Oregon and Washington. Flyfishing all over in the spring/summer and hiking and camping.

Comment

Working...
                              X