I think my boy gut shot a deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my boy gut shot a deer

My boy shot a 120-130" at 5:15 tonight. I didn't see the impact, but it walked 30 yards, then hung it's head. It then bedded under a bush. I watched it until it looked dead. I whistled lightly to make sure before we got up and it stood up and slowly walked off. We waited until dark and backed out.

He was using a rage whitetail extreme.

I think we should wait until morning. We didn't even approach the first bedding spot or look for the arrow.

This is my 9 year old boys first buck.

My son shot one in the guts several years ago. He hunched up, walked to a tree and laid down. I think he would have died there but another younger buck came over and started harassing him. He got up and walked down a fence line. We backed out for 6 hours.

Went back and started at last known spot. Very little blood. Found him dead and stiff along the fence about 200 yards from last spotted area.

Good luck.

Comment

Let him go til morning

Comment

Nice and cold tonight. Let him rest. And let your son know that everyone will make a less than perfect shot along the way. Hoping he's empathetic for the wounded animal but not turned off from hunting (I have several friends that made bad shots as kids and they never wanted to hunt again. That right there is sad).

Comment

Sounds like you did the right thing SB.

Best of luck on your recovery in the morning.

I look forward to seeing some LDP's of your son with his first buck.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post

X2

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Good luck, sounds like to didn't spook him much and should find him in the morning.

Comment

Hope you find him

Comment

Y'all did the right thing... He will be there in the morning! Good luck!

Comment

Go find the deer

Comment

Gut shots are fatal, so backing off and searching in the morning will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post

This^^^

Comment

Let him lay over night. Good luck finding him!

Comment

Tell him not to feel bad im 35 and i gut shot one this morning. Got too excited with the old muzzleloader and pulled it i guess. Hope to find mine in morning as well. Its just part of hunting. First for me too!

Comment

Working...
                              X