East Texas Mountain Lion or Black Panther Sightings/ Killings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas Mountain Lion or Black Panther Sightings/ Killings

We have a recent incident in our area where a freshly killed hog of the 165-200 lbs size was drug through some plantation over a quarter mile in one night. We also allegedly had a black cat with a long tail sighted by our pasture warden, and tracks that were supposed to be cougar-like. I did not see photos of the tracks, and do not know even if photos exist in this alleged case.
    We are in northwest Polk County.

I've been hearing these stories and campfire rumors for years. Finally saw some trail camera photos from Newton County a year or two back, and some photos of a roadside kill somewhere near Liberty last year. Both these we're regular cougars of the brown color phase.

I'm very curious to see any recent real evidence (2012-13) like trail camera photos or kills in East Texas, either of a cougar or the more infrequently reported east Texas black panther-either brown or otherwise. Not hill country or south Texas- but East Texas. As in east of I45 to Sabine River.
    Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM.

Don't exist. Period.

Comment

The only real black panthers are probably marching in Florida right now...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        The only real black panthers are probably marching in Florida right now...
        True dat...

Comment

The great almighty black panther!! He has been on the move lately someone needs to get him

Comment

Pineywoods I grew up in East TX Mountian lions do exsist My brother and I both have witnessed them Black panather i think are a old wise tail

Comment

Originally posted by Cable View Post
              Don't exist. Period.
              Cougars or black panthers or neither?

Comment

A cougar is another word for a large cat. In the U.S. this is a reference to a Mountain Lion. There have been ZERO documented cases of a melanistic phase (black) mountain lion. It is not possible genetically and they do not exist.

There are black cougars in south america such as black phased jaguars. Extremely rare even down there, and their range does not extend to North America anymore - hasn't for a very long time.

If someone sees a "black panther", they were drunk, or it was a house cat they thought looked big at a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by quackNthwack View Post
                  A cougar is another word for a large cat. In the U.S. this is a reference to a Mountain Lion. There have been ZERO documented cases of a melanistic phase (black) mountain lion. It is not possible genetically and they do not exist.

There are black cougars in south america such as black phased jaguars. Extremely rare even down there, and their range does not extend to North America anymore - hasn't for a very long time.

If someone sees a "black panther", they were drunk, or it was a house cat they thought looked big at a distance.
                  Makes sense to me. However, I am still curious about East Texas sightings/ killings of even the normal cougar/ mountain lion/ puma, or whatever we call it these days. Really prefer to see trailcam photos or photos of dead cats so as to sort the rumors from more substantiated incidents.
                  Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

polk county

Saw a young one in Polk County at about 10 yds in late 80's, scared me to death, looking back on it now, the cat was no more than 1.5 yrs and was absolutely no harm to me, but at the time it might as well have been a grizzly! We also had a couple sightings in the early 2000's a week or so apart by different people within a mile or so of each other. I did not see that with my own eyes so who knows.

I do not think there is a such thing as a Black Panther, dark phase mountain lion in late evening, maybe...black panther, no.

But hey, there are people that don't believe there are occasional mountain lions in East Texas.

Got this pick last year in Northern Polk County, don't know for sure what this is, but I sure wish I would have taken a couple of extra whacks with the machete!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	24220252

Comment

Sending PM.

Comment

Chupracabra

Comment

Si Robertson says there are black panthers and I ain't gonna argue with uncle Si

Comment

Just wait by this sign and one will show up

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374006810.066215.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	24220267

Comment

Originally posted by quackNthwack View Post

I've been plenty drunk, and still have never seen a black panther.

Comment

Working...
                              X