Questions on hunting with a trad bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on hunting with a trad bow

Okay, so I will confess, I went out on opening weekend with my compound bow. Long story short, I hurt my bow arm shooting too much, didn't want to mess up my shoulder and so I laid off for a bit and didn't get back into it in time to have confidence. I like to hunt, so I chose the compound because, yes, it is easier (BTW, still haven't harvested a deer with any bow, so I would be by no means dissapointed or sad.)

However, I noticed some things this weekend that really made me miss my trad gear tremendously. I hate how heavy my compuond is. I hate that its got all the doodads that go "clank." I hate that I have to clip in to the darn thing, etc. I hate that I can't draw it holding it sideways and rotate it up to my face without fear of derailing it. The only great attribute is that it is short and obviously I can shoot accurately without much practice.

So now come the questions. How do you guys hunt your bows out of a pop-up? Seems like it would be challenging with the length. do you just use a shorter bow? Are there any good "short" longbows/recurves out there?

Forgot my second question:

So obviously these annoyances I have with my compound stem from shooting my recurve all spring/summer at shoots and not really shooting my compound at all (except the past couple weeks.) Are there "gotchas" I need to know about ahead of time when using trad gear? Besides longer limbs in a pop-up?
    Last edited by SwampRabbit; 09-29-2014, 09:02 AM.

Buy a taller pop-up designed for a longer bow, or build a natural ground blind. Sounds like you really want to shoot a deer if you went hunting with a compound but shot a recurve all summer. Why change? So much easier?

One question, what are all the benefits of the compound with gadgets for you in bowhunting?

Comment

If you have standard pop up you can raise it a bit like this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	blindframe.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	24333675
      It a simple frame made from 1x6s with little platforms on the corners - I used screws and fender washers through the corner tie downs. I can shoot a 60" bow out of it with little to no canting. That is about as high as I'd want to raise it though - 6". Much more and the window would be to high for close shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonheart View Post
        Buy a taller pop-up designed for a longer bow, or build a natural ground blind. Sounds like you really want to shoot a deer if you went hunting with a compound but shot a recurve all summer. Why change? So much easier?

One question, what are all the benefits of the compound with gadgets for you in bowhunting?
        Yup, you nailed it, I want to shoot a deer with a bow. My name is Scott and I like to kill animals for food. I also like a challenge and I try my best to balance all the factors that drive my passion for hunting and fishing.

Jerp, I like that idea, thanks.

Comment

Or dig a hole and put your blind over it just taper back to keep the rain out I personaly hunt out of a ladder stand

Comment

Originally posted by little john View Post
            Or dig a hole and put your blind over it just taper back to keep the rain out I personaly hunt out of a ladder stand
            Yep, I prefer ladders and tripods and still hunting... where I can see more. However, I chose to hunt out of some of the pop-up sets this weekend because of the rain (heavy at times) and the wind direction ruled out some of my favorite spots.

Comment

Im using a big blind that I built to fit my boy with me.
              But before that I used to hunt out of a regular pop-up.
              I just sat in the very corner of the blind so that my bow was in the center of the blind when I drew. I never had any problems and shot a bunch of critters, including a bobcat, out of it.
              To tell you the truth, I think I liked it more than my big blind.
              This one is elevated and much more wider and insulated, but my pop-up felt more up close and personal even if they where at the same distance.

Comment

I don't have an issue with my Double Bull Blind; I can shoot all my bows from 58 AMO to 62 AMO. Plenty of room.

Comment

My pops and I have an Ameristep 270 that is 82 inches tall (I think 82 but could be 92). We both can shoot our 62" and 64"recurves out of it fine. If we don't take the blind with us we just use or make a natural blind.

Comment

Don't own a pop up so no advice there. I would like to say that you probably have another problem worse than your pop up problem. You shouldn't have an arm problem from shooting, especially with a light weight bow. While you may be an excellent shooter, you are not a healthy shooter. Your shooting style or form is not condusive to staying healthy through the years. Look at old pictures of Howard Hill and copy his form exactly and you will be able to shoot more weight and stay healthy into your later years. Be especially mindful of his bow arm elbow and shoulder.

Comment

There was some of that and an major overuse issue initially.

Comment

I kinda dig a bowl in mine and use a revival chair that I jam into the ground. And, a taller blind.

Comment

I quit using a pop-up as the deer in the area I hunt are so pressured they can spot one instantly and haul butt. However I had no problem because my longbow is 50"s tip to tip and my recurve is 52"s tip to tip.

Comment

I really don't prefer commercial popups, but will use them if I have to, i.e. on a day hunt or something. They just don't seem to have enough room. It seems like every time I get a shot, the critter is off to the side where my bow will hit the top of the blind on release!

On a lease or where I can leave it for an extended period, I will always opt for a homemade ground blind where I know I will always have enough room!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                            X