Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitcher son's new chapter as a Javelina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    Congrats to him. That is a a tough long outing for a closer. I’m sure he will feel that one for a few days
    Spoke with him just now; said he's all good. Iced a little.

Said he figured he was in for the duration and pitched accordingly.

Comment

Update:
      Eric pitched against East New Mexico and St. Edwards since the last update, allowing no earned runs in both wins. So, he currently has a 3.38 ERA, in 16 innings, allowing only 6 earned runs, with 20 strikeouts. Quite a few family and friends got to see him this week for the St. Ed's game in hometown Austin. (A fine groundout to finish off a lop-sided win. )

Kind of burying the lead, though, as the Javelinas are playing the West Texas Buffaloes this weekend in Kingsville. The Buffs are currently ranked as high as third nationally. The teams split a double-header Friday and play again today and Sunday. Eric didn't appear in either game yesterday. WT took the first game 6-1, while TAMUK won the second 8-0.

Will note that anyone interested in seeing at least live stats (written play by play) and often video streaming of games, can just log onto the TAMUK baseball site, go to Schedule, then scroll down to the particular game and click "live stats" to follow the action.

Here's a link:

Comment

Update:
        Great game today versus highly touted 3rd ranked West Texas. Javelinas won 5-4, and Eric earned the Save, in support of starter Josh Vasquez and fellow reliever Garrett Alexander.

Here's how I mean Earned:

Young man came in with runners on second and third, with one out in the 9th inning, leading 5-3. A fielder's choice grounder to third got an out but cut the lead to one -- and moved the tying run to third.

Intentional walk to a .401 lefty brought a .433- hitting righty up who Eric got to pop up to shallow right for the final out. Only took Eric 9 pitches to get 2 outs to end it.

Season stats for Eric now:
        3 wins, No losses, with 3 Saves
        ERA 3.24
        16 Innings Pitched, 20 Strikeouts

Look at the link posted in the previous post for a very nice article on today's game. Tap "Recap" to see it. I'm techno-challenged to share actual article via phone.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
          Update:
          Great game today versus highly touted 3rd ranked West Texas. Javelinas won 5-4, and Eric earned the Save, in support of starter Josh Vasquez and fellow reliever Garrett Alexander.

Here's how I mean Earned:

Young man came in with runners on second and third, with one out in the 9th inning, leading 5-3. A fielder's choice grounder to third got an out but cut the lead to one -- and moved the tying run to third.

Intentional walk to a .401 lefty brought a .433- hitting righty up who Eric got to pop up to shallow right for the final out. Only took Eric 9 pitches to get 2 outs to end it.

Season stats for Eric now:
          3 wins, No losses, with 3 Saves
          ERA 3.24
          16 Innings Pitched, 20 Strikeouts

Look at the link posted in the previous post for a very nice article on today's game. Tap "Recap" to see it. I'm techno-challenged to share actual article via phone.

Correction: Starter was Joshua Valdez

Comment

Update:

Great game today won by the TAMUK Javelinas 7-3 in the 13th inning on a walkoff grand slam by Pablo Hernandez. Eric got the Win after holding West Texas A&M scoreless for the final three innings. He took over for Garrett Alexander after the 10th.

Eric's Record: 4 Wins, No Losses, 3 Saves
            Season Stats now: ERA 2.75; 19.2 Innings, with 21 Strikeouts

Here's a link to the Recap of today's game:

Comment

Couple of interesting tidbits about that 13-inning Sunday game.

When the recap says the third out came on a fielder's choice with runners on first and third, that's true. What happened was a ball was lined somewhat softly straight to the third baseman (Servin), who had it but the ball popped out of his glove. Meanwhile, the runner at first apparently forgot the out count (2) and dove back to the bag. So Servin just picked up the ball and gently tossed it to second.

Give y'all the second tidbit in a bit. Hint: prayers work.....

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                Couple of interesting tidbits about that 13-inning Sunday game.

When the recap says the third out came on a fielder's choice with runners on first and third, that's true. What happened was a ball was lined somewhat softly straight to the third baseman (Servin), who had it but the ball popped out of his glove. Meanwhile, the runner at first apparently forgot the out count (2) and dove back to the bag. So Servin just picked up the ball and gently tossed it to second.

Give y'all the second tidbit in a bit. Hint: prayers work.....

Btw, this ^^^ was in top of the 12th, I believe.

Comment

Prayers Answered

So, the Javelinas' half of the 13th inning starts with a grounder hit directly to the 1st baseman ..... but -- quite miraculously-- the ball veers two feet right but stays "fair" just before the fielder can glove it and step on the bag.

I have never seen a clearer example of Divine Intervention in my life. Direct answer to prayers for a rally. That's how the inning started, and it ended with a walk-off grand slam.

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but prayers were definitely asked and answered. Who knows if the Lord would actually get involved with a baseball game?

Thoughts?

Comment

Curious. Anyone ever put up prayers related to baseball or sports -- maybe related to your kid? Any recognizable result stories?

That pebble ball-bounce was almost eerie.

Comment

Great Stuff!!! Love me some Fightin' Javelinas!! Good luck and keep posting.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                        Great Stuff!!! Love me some Fightin' Javelinas!! Good luck and keep posting.
                        Thanks, Lance! That was some amazing baseball to watch, and I'm just glad that Eric could do what he does to help the team get wins. Go Javi's!!!

Comment

I pitched at Angelo State 2007-2009, that conference always has some great teams. And I’m getting old...

Funny hearing the name Kasparek, I played in the tx collegiate league with him one summer. Guy was one giant goofball, only UT player I ever met that wasn’t arrogant as hell.

Comment

Two GOOD looking guys here! Dropped by to say hello before todays games.
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is truly awesome! Coach Dave: the fact that you took time out to go find Eric, who you've really only known from my posts on here is awesome. He was impressed. Heck, I am impressed, as well! Thanks so much. Really shows the kind of spirit that exists on TBH among the brotherhood. You rock, sir!
                              Last edited by tradtiger; 03-29-2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

As far as today's games:

We split. The Javelinas took the first game 15-2; Cameron took the second 6-4.
                                Eric did not pitch in either game, although he was warming in the bullpen at the end of the second game, which was tied in the bottom of the last inning but got away quickly with a homerun by Cameron.

Comment

Working...
                                X