Crawfish Cookers - wanting to upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crawfish Cookers - wanting to upgrade

I am looking to purchase all new cooking gear for the season. Currently I share one of the King Kooker 2 bag beasts. After some experimentation, I am getting away from boiling and going to the steam/slurry method. It is kinda hard to do in the set up we use now, albeit there are nice features on the dumping mechanism.

Some backstory, I will rarely cook over 1 bag at a time. One son is away at college and the wife will not partake so it's just two of us eating and a couple of other buddies.

I am looking at a single burner with fixed legs and 2 pots. My question is can I get by with a 100 qt and an 80 qt set up? My theory is use the smaller pot as my slurry, bigger pot as my steamer and utilize the smaller basket in the big pot for steaming. I want to be able to keep the lid in place during steaming and I think I can get by with the smaller basket inside the larger pot with some "feet" to keep it off the bottom.

I have used an old cooler for the slurry but that doesn't last and I am concerned about the temps and harmful PVC effects.

I can do some shopping at Academy, any place else that has some decent pots?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I borrowed a friends steam equipment and will not boil crawfish again. That water gets soooo nasty! It's hard to tell with all the seasonings but it does.

Comment

I have access to my brother in laws 2 sack cooker from academy but I also prefer the slurry method. I have a 50qt pot I use to make the hot slurry then boil everything. It will do a little better than half a sack a round.

Comment

I'm liking the one bagger from Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that price correct? I thought the one sack cooker was $299 and 2 sack was 399? Seems like a nice piece of equipment

Comment

In on the education of this method.

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
              In on the education of this method.
              me too

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                Is that price correct? I thought the one sack cooker was $299 and 2 sack was 399? Seems like a nice piece of equipment

I hope you're right. That's why I didn't get it yet. $299 it's worth it. Love the way it dumps the crawfish out.

Comment

The best part about cooking crawfish is drinking beer when you're cooking.

I'll stick with my small set up & enjoy the lengthy process

Comment

Interesting. Never heard of the steam/slurry method. Off to google I go...

Comment

I’ve got a single sack cooker. I like it. If you’re doing slurry, just make your mix up in your cooker and boil your crawfish in a pot, dump them in your cooker for soaking, or vice versa.

Comment

Is that from Bucees?

Comment

Steamer

My wife won a king cooker in a raffle that is a steamer boiler. 50 qt and very nice used it this weekend to boil a sack. noticed that the strainer didn't go to the bottom because there is a ring around the pot that holds it up. you can see the shiny spot around the pot. Didn't have a clue that you could steam the bugs until this thread.

Please tell how to steam and then soak or whatever. I want to try it since I have the gear.
                          Attached Files

Comment

We use a 120 for the soak pot and an 80 for the steam pot, it works like a champ. If you want some of the best mud bugs ever I urge you to try this method. Look up smokey ribs steamed crawfish you tube, or Keith Jenkins frog bone spices steamed crawfish, Hospice crawfish boil you tube.

Comment

Someone here posted the thread where I originally saw the slurry method. Iv cooked lots of mudbugs the old way. Never again. The slurry keeps them juicy and adds heat and flavor. Surely someone will post the thread. It isn't any quicker than the normal way so I/we still get plenty time to drink barley pops and listen to some tunes..

Like was posted above. You take a cooler and add in x amount of hot almost boiling water. Enough to cover the bugs when you dump them in. To this slurry add lemons/juice, seasoning and a whole big think of mustard. You can also add your asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower etc in some cheese cloth to this mix. Boil your bugs just like usual in clean unseasoned water. When they're done dump into the slurry cooler and let set 10-30 minutes. Whew weee

Comment

Working...
                              X