Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Buckley99
Ten Point

Default Volunteering?

How many of you volunteer regularly? What organization do you volunteer with? Is there a specific reason you feel called to volunteer for that group?
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

Local SCI chapter. I feel blessed to have the hunting and fishing opportunities that I’ve come across. It feels good to be a part of something that gives back. Gives me a sense of accomplishment and a strong sense of purpose when I do something that really matters to someone else. Plus the opportunity to meet new people and get new perspectives on things.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Rotary Club
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Our church--I am a committee chair plus I oversee the "Grey Army" (old retired guys who do all the minor maintenance). Also do the archery range when the church goes to the outdoor learning center once a year, and I attempt to do feral hog control for two friends.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
Preacher Man
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Sutton Co.

Usually with the guys in my Sunday school class. I like to help people who are less fortunate or are going through tough times
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #6
Cazador
Ten Point

Boy Scouts, I got involved about 14 years ago when my oldest son joined as a tiger (1st grade). He is an Eagle Scout and my youngest, now a sophomore in HS is working towards his eagle. I wasn't a scout as a youth so I'm living vicariously through them! I enjoy watching the boys mature into young men and being a part of it.

I also volunteer at our church and the school. Not on any specific committee but just help wherever I'm needed and can.
Cazador is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 AM   #7
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

I dedicated 18 yrs. to my local Volunteer Fire Departments.

Just wanted to help my community. Took every training class offered, retired as Deputy Chief.

My wife, son, daughter, and son in law still serve.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 04:45 AM   #8
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

ARC of Fort Bend. Formally known as the Association for Retarded Citizens.
My Brother in law has Down syndrome and it is n organization my whole family takes part in. I do not volunteer as much as I should however, I feel good when I do. Their motto is quality of life for all. The money we raise goes to programs to benefit the mentally retarded citizens which are some of the most loving individuals I have ever met.
https://www.arcoffortbend.org
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 AM   #9
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

I'm a volunteer instructor with TPWD, average 4-5 activities per year, also been helping with TYHP hunts as a camp hey boy.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Boy Scouts. Been in and around it since my son started as a Tiger cub when he was 6 years old. He's 23 now and I'm still there. Same as said above. Watching them grow from boys into men and being involved in that is a privilege and a humbling experience.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #11
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

I volunteer in any program my boys are involved in. I am not one of those parents that likes someone else to raise my kid. I have volunteered at the YMCA, the kids school, cub scouts and boy scouts, youth football, and now at 4H.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #12
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I insist on giving back in this house. Especially to my community.

There is a rehab hospital not far from my home where many soldiers and civilians rehab from great injuries. I am friendly with the athletic director there and he asked me if I would hold a archery clinic at the hospital for patients. I jumped at the idea. So, oldest son, his girlfriend and I run a small archery clinic for those at the hospital a few times a year on Hospital grounds. I would not stop doing that for the world. One of the MOST fulfilling things I have ever done in my life.
5626 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
KIMG0373 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

The other thing I/we do each year run the archery range at National Hunting and Fishing Day in September. It is a nationwide event that takes place the same day throughout the country. Myself and a crew of about eight volunteers are on the archery range(little league field set up for archery) from 9am to 4pm all day teaching kids, women, grand parents and even had a few politicians come and fling a few sticks.
Another very rewarding day promoting the outdoors, hunting and fishing. Also at this day. Every kid that comes get a free cane pole, line, hook, bobber and worms to fish on the lake. Vendors all over showing how hunters, trappers and fishers and NOT bad people. We try to educate the folks who come about what we do and land carrying capacity ect. We have been holding this FREE event for the last 6 years and now towns in our area are fighting to have it hosted in their town because it has become so popular.
KIMG1365 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
KIMG0405 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
KIMG0340 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
Guns_up
Four Point

Hunt In: Pushmataha Co, Ok

When my kids were younger i was known as "coach" now it's Church, I'm a youth leader and mission trip leader. We do VBS and work with the homeless in one of the poorest zip codes in San Antonio.
Guns_up is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #14
bunkered13
Four Point

Volunteer fire department and my wife is a board member for Burleson county Relay for Life so I help her with all of their fundraising events.
bunkered13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #15
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

For several years I was a volunteer judge for the VICA machining contests. Traveled all over the state judging different districts. I was also a volunteer search and recovery diver in N. Texas until I had to quit diving.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #16
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

About 10 years ago we started a group at church that builds wheelchair ramps around our part of the county. Some are built for church members but the large majority of the people are referred to us by county agencies. The group now runs like a well-oiled machine. Someone goes out a few days before to take measurements and draw up the design. The night before build day another crew pre-builds most of it at a member's shop. On build day another crew can get it installed in just a couple of hours. It is a very diverse group of men and women. It is also a great opportunity for kids to serve and learn to use basic tools
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #17
chongo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

Volunteer at church regularly - just another way to stay plugged in at the church and something my wife and I can do together.
Emmanuel Labor - serving homeless in Collin County. Started this fall/winter. A guy at my church runs it, I heard about it and felt God wanted me to get involved.
Football coach for the past 6 seasons for my son's team, if that counts - My dad coached my baseball teams before playing select. I wanted to create those memories with my son and be a positive role model for the kids on my team.
My wife and I are foster parents also - God called us to fostering 3 years ago. Strictly obedience to God, not something I wanted to do by any stretch. In 3 years we've had 11 placements, may get to adopt our current placement later this year; depending on the outcome of a trial in April we'll be adopting a 9 and 4 year old privately too.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
About 10 years ago we started a group at church that builds wheelchair ramps around our part of the county. Some are built for church members but the large majority of the people are referred to us by county agencies. The group now runs like a well-oiled machine. Someone goes out a few days before to take measurements and draw up the design. The night before build day another crew pre-builds most of it at a member's shop. On build day another crew can get it installed in just a couple of hours. It is a very diverse group of men and women. It is also a great opportunity for kids to serve and learn to use basic tools
There's a group up here in the N. Dallas area that does this. They're going to put one in for my dad.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

I used to be much more involved in a number of organizations but life has gotten in the way over the last couple of years.

Currently I volunteer for a number of events with Dallas Safari Club.
Kmart49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #20
brnhtown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county

united way
habitat for humanity
boys and girls club
special Olympics
The company I work for provides many different opportunities to give back to our communities that we serve. I am grateful for it and learn many life lessons a long the way.
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #21
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Myself and another TBR started a Non-Profit Organization called Deployed Family Outdoors, we take the families of our Military on hunting, fishing, and adventure trips.

https://www.deployedfamilyoutdoors.com/

Deployed Family Outdoors is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization dedicated to serving and supporting our military and their families by providing unique and unforgettable outdoor adventures which strengthen family relationships and create valuable, lifelong lessons and memories. Through generous donations and support, we provide for our servicemen and women’s families while they protect our nation.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #22
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

TonyPic---have you figured how to teach them to not curl their fingers and pull the arrow off the rest? I have suggested that the bows all have Whisker Biscuits on them to fix that problem.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #23
hog_down
Eight Point

I did 9 years with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and I am currently volunteering for the Central Houston CCA chapter.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #24
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
TonyPic---have you figured how to teach them to not curl their fingers and pull the arrow off the rest? I have suggested that the bows all have Whisker Biscuits on them to fix that problem.
As you can see/know...that is what happens. We should be getting some upgraded equipment next year. We put in for a grant from the county Friends of the NRA and it looks like we are going to get it. NHFD beats the crap out of our bows and arrows. New strings, sticks and I am going to suggest whisker biscuits I also want some of the Micro Geneisis bows for the little ones who can't pull the 20lbs of the standard Genesis.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #25
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Dust and Tony, we usually suggest (insist) the three finger under the nock, seems to keep the arrows on the rest better. Nothing worse than a Genesis rest and a kid that won't follow instructions. Sometimes we just roll with it, make it fun rather than instructive.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top