Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County
Default Leupold CDS Turrets......

Thinking of putting a different scope on my 6.5 creed. Would like to get into some long ranges. The CDS system looks pretty awesome.

Has anyone here tried them?

Use them now?

Are they any good?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I have the vx3i cds on a 7mm-08 but I haven't sent in the data and coupon for the custom dial yet so I guess I'm no help. Love the scope though.
ColinR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Gobblerslayer
Four Point

I have a 6.5 Creed that has a VX2 CDS on top of it. I did send off for my custom dial and just like it says, dial a distance and shoot. Only been out to 200yds with it but its a keeper.
Gobblerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

i havnt sent my dials off yet as ive been looking for a specific bullet still but i love it so far with the wind plex. i use it like moa at the moment and killing pigs at 300 is easy
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
trophy8
Pope & Young

My suggestion is use it for a 1/4 moa knob. That way you can dial in any elevation,temp,wind, bullet, velocity. This is what I’ve done with mine
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

^^^Agreed, I've had multiple scopes through the years with this option and have never used it.

I tend to make too many little changes in a load to be stuck within the parameters of a custom dial.

I just use a drop chart and conditions of the day to dial for range.

Having said that, I've always found Leupold to be very accurate and repeatable in their tracking.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

[QUOTE=Slick8;13183059]^^^

I tend to make too many little changes in a load to be stuck within the parameters of a custom dial.

This is what I do. Or they discontinue the bullet I use. So I have to change my load. So this is the only worry I have with using a system like this.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I have the CDS dial on my 7mm RUM and my 220 Swift. I do all my own reloading so I had the CDS dials configured for my "go to" load for each rifle. They are extremely accurate and if you are shooting past point blank range for your rifle, I can highly recommend them.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
Thinking of putting a different scope on my 6.5 creed. Would like to get into some long ranges. The CDS system looks pretty awesome.

Has anyone here tried them?

Use them now?

Are they any good?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

I have two. I have a VX-2 CDS and VX-3i CDS. Wind plex reticles. I put one on my 7mm-08 and one on my 6.5 CM. They are great scopes. It takes a little while to get the custom turret...about 3 to 4 weeks. They are pretty accurate. I have shot them to 500 yards. They track well.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
I have two. I have a VX-2 CDS and VX-3i CDS. Wind plex reticles. I put one on my 7mm-08 and one on my 6.5 CM. They are great scopes. It takes a little while to get the custom turret...about 3 to 4 weeks. They are pretty accurate. I have shot them to 500 yards. They track well.

Like what Iím hearing so far.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I stretched my 7mm out to almost 400 yards with my cds dial and it performed as advertised. I love the scope and system.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #12
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I have one that arrived today. From what I've read here and other places I'm even more excited

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #13
McClain
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
My suggestion is use it for a 1/4 moa knob. That way you can dial in any elevation,temp,wind, bullet, velocity. This is what Iíve done with mine
Highly recomend this approach unless you know you will only use one load at one location at similar environmental conditions. If any of those change, then you are stuck with a system that is not as precise as possible. Lack of confidence in your rig can lead to disappointment at long distances.
McClain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #14
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

I prefer actual dope and a piece of pinstripe tape around the turret. I fiddle way too much with loads and bullets to marry myself to a single turret.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #15
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

If you have no experience with long range shooting it is a great option to help you shoot past a couple hundred yards. The guys that shoot long range regularly have mentioned they tend to dial their own DOPE instead of being stuck to a fixed parameter, which I agree with.

If you plan on shooting one type of ammo (Hornady Match for example) then get someone to chronograph your rifle with the ammo you plan on using then send that data to Leupold for an extremely accurate dial.

Easy as pie!
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Merc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

So glad to hear all this, I just ordered two of the ultralight Leupolds for some mountain rifles.

Been reading other places in the interwebs that basically say they are junk.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

In for the input as well. I have a VX-5HD I plan on trying out the CDS dial for. I will chime in when I get it all set up as well.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
If you have no experience with long range shooting it is a great option to help you shoot past a couple hundred yards. The guys that shoot long range regularly have mentioned they tend to dial their own DOPE instead of being stuck to a fixed parameter, which I agree with.

If you plan on shooting one type of ammo (Hornady Match for example) then get someone to chronograph your rifle with the ammo you plan on using then send that data to Leupold for an extremely accurate dial.

Easy as pie!
Is that an offer?

I want to say I read extra turrets are only 80 bucks. In the grand scheme of it all that's not much if you change bullets for a different hunt. I'll play with the factory turret and see what happens.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #19
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
My suggestion is use it for a 1/4 moa knob. That way you can dial in any elevation,temp,wind, bullet, velocity. This is what Iíve done with mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Highly recomend this approach unless you know you will only use one load at one location at similar environmental conditions. If any of those change, then you are stuck with a system that is not as precise as possible. Lack of confidence in your rig can lead to disappointment at long distances.
^This. Leave it MOA, and then get a good ballistics calculator app or device to figure your dope based on current location and conditions.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #20
splitbeam145
Ten Point

Buy a G7 BR2 RF to use with the custom turret. Then you can dial to whatever yardage the RF tells you. It's a great excuse for needing a new rangefinder and it works great.
splitbeam145 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #21
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

No experience with long range. Except for the ole Kentucky hold hold over and Windage. You know.... walk it in.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #22
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Is that an offer?

I want to say I read extra turrets are only 80 bucks. In the grand scheme of it all that's not much if you change bullets for a different hunt. I'll play with the factory turret and see what happens.
HAHA guess it depends!!
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #23
db@100
Eight Point

If the question is "do they work" then the answer is, they work as well as the information you supply to Leupold. I have them on my .280Rem and they work great to 600 yards.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #24
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

I have the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 on my 6.5 bolt gun. The factory dial for .223 Remington is dead on with the 143 ELD-X out to 400 yards. Past that the 6.5 is flatter, but the turret is also marked in mils so you can dial whatever you want.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #25
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I'm in this boat as well... good system as an MOA dial and if you're only going to use one load, fine with the custom dial. I don't foresee myself ever actually getting the custom dial because I play with different loads and can't decide which one is "the one" for the custom dial.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #26
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Hunt In: Whatever public land I can find game on.

For those of you who recommend learning your ballistics table backward and forward and tailoring adjustments to your specific environment and making adjustments with a standard knob, would your answer change if the shooter used one load and was only interested in stretching his/her effective range to 400-500 yards for hunting purposes?

I know that you can achieve more precision at long range by being very skilled and experienced at determining your scope adjustment and making said adjustment. I just question whether it's really necessary if you are hunting at intermediate ranges rather than attempting to cut the X at 1,000 yards. Personally, I'd like to extend my effective range to 400-500 yards, but I don't have much interest in shooting beyond that. I've run some calculations, and it doesn't appear that environmentals (aside from wind) make a very big difference at those ranges. My plan was to put a CDS dial on my nest rifle. Would I be better suited by doing otherwise given my intended purposes?
Slow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #27
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow&Steady View Post
For those of you who recommend learning your ballistics table backward and forward and tailoring adjustments to your specific environment and making adjustments with a standard knob, would your answer change if the shooter used one load and was only interested in stretching his/her effective range to 400-500 yards for hunting purposes?

I know that you can achieve more precision at long range by being very skilled and experienced at determining your scope adjustment and making said adjustment. I just question whether it's really necessary if you are hunting at intermediate ranges rather than attempting to cut the X at 1,000 yards. Personally, I'd like to extend my effective range to 400-500 yards, but I don't have much interest in shooting beyond that. I've run some calculations, and it doesn't appear that environmentals (aside from wind) make a very big difference at those ranges. My plan was to put a CDS dial on my nest rifle. Would I be better suited by doing otherwise given my intended purposes?

This is the same boat Iím in. I just want to extend my range. Iím never going to be a ďlongĒ range shooter.

Also for you guys that have the dial and use factory ammo, do you use the factory specs from the box? Right now I use the Hornady 140 gr bthp. It will put four shots touching. However I still think I need to chrono my gun as I am shooting it suppressed.
Chasing_bone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #28
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing_bone View Post
This is the same boat Iím in. I just want to extend my range. Iím never going to be a ďlongĒ range shooter.

Also for you guys that have the dial and use factory ammo, do you use the factory specs from the box? Right now I use the Hornady 140 gr bthp. It will put four shots touching. However I still think I need to chrono my gun as I am shooting it suppressed.
Definitely send it through the chrono.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #29
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Definitely send it through the chrono.
Roger that. Thatís what I was thinking as well.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #30
kck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Level 3 MLD Golf Course

I don't use a custom turret and don't see myself ever changing to them. However, for those that use them, would you not want to validate trajectory on known distances as well as a chrono before having a turret built. At least that's how I build my charts that are attached to my rifles. Didn't see that in the posts but I apologize if it's already been stated and I missed it.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #31
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:

If youíre only shooting targets then itís not a big deal. If youíre gonna shoot at animals then Iíd tell you itís very irresponsible to not learn it. Youíd be surprised how much difference it makes. What did you change? Just elevation?
Old 02-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #32
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Opened the box of mine today. Being my first gold ring in roughly 15 years all I can say is WOW.

The HD glass is amazing. Even the turret operation vs. The latest Nikon in same price range is night and day.

I might have to think about cutting loose vari x3 on my 7mm

Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #33
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:

I use Strelok Pro app so I don't have to memorize ballistic tables. One thing that I learned a few years ago on a mule deer hunt was temperature MATTERS. I had my data all put into the app (just like I would do if I were ordering a custom turret). I had done my sighting in during the summer. Then when I was hunting mule deer in the Panhandle in November on a cold 20 degree morning, I had a 400 yard shot at a buck. I shot him....6 times before he finally went down. When I got to him, you could almost see daylight and stick your arm through the hole in his upper front leg and brisket. I had a really nice group, but it was about 4" lower than I thought I was aiming. I didn't change the temperature setting on my app. A couple months later, I was reading a thread on here and a comment about temps. I went to my app and put everything back in the way I had it for the shot on that buck and then I changed the temp to 20 degrees. Bingo! It told me to aim 4" higher at 20 degrees for that 400 yard shot with my 7mag.

A custom turret based on warmer temp data would have been just as off as my app was when I didn't adjust it for air temp.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #34
bearintex
Pope & Young

Quote:

Hornady Black 140 bthp run 2645 avg through my gun. Box velocity is 2730 iirc. Drop at 600 works out to ~85Ē at box velocity. At 2645, it is about 91Ē. Easily enough to cause a miss on a deer or pig.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #35
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
Hornady Black 140 bthp run 2645 avg through my gun. Box velocity is 2730 iirc. Drop at 600 works out to ~85Ē at box velocity. At 2645, it is about 91Ē. Easily enough to cause a miss on a deer or pig.

Thank you very much. Thatís the kind of info I need. Now I just need to find someone in dallas that has a chrono.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #36
bearintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thank you very much. Thatís the kind of info I need. Now I just need to find someone in dallas that has a chrono.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...on-chronograph

Well worth the investment if you shoot much at all.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #37
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...on-chronograph

Well worth the investment if you shoot much at all.

Problem is I really donít. I shoot enough to make sure my gun is still good and hunt.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:35 AM   #38
THE UNDERTAKER
Four Point

Hunt In: South T,East T,West T

Go for it . I have one on a leupold vxr 4x12x40 firedot on Ar15 and one on vx6 3x18x50 fine duplex on savage 10 308 and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Took two does this year at good distance . One at 662 yards and one at 709 yards . Really easy to use but like anything need to practice and know your wind. And like everyone else has said , you are stuck to one load . As I do hand load It took awhile to find a load that shoots true in both cool and warmer temps . But if you do change loads you can always order another dial .Just my opinion but good luck with ur decision.
THE UNDERTAKER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #39
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Quote:
If youíre only shooting targets then itís not a big deal. If youíre gonna shoot at animals then Iíd tell you itís very irresponsible to not learn it. Youíd be surprised how much difference it makes. What did you change? Just elevation?
Elevation, temperature, and humidity.

Here's an example of my observation using Hornady's online ballistic calculator.

Condition 1
Elevation: 500 ft
Temperature: 65 degrees
Humidity: 70%
Sight Height 1.5 in
Round: 308WIN Hornady 168gr BTHP @ 2700fps
MOA Adjustment at 500 Yards: 11.12

Condition 2
Elevation: 10,000 ft
Temperature: 30 degrees
Humidity: 30%
Sight Height 1.5 in
MOA Adjustment at 500 Yards: 11.35

This is a functional difference of 1/4 MOA or one click at 500 yards. This will represent approximately a 1.25 inch difference on target at that range. When you are aiming at a 10"X10" space behind the shoulder of a deer sized game animal (much larger for elk, 1.25" isn't a deal breaker. My view is that I can turn the CDS dial to the appropriate range and take the shot in much less time and with much less potential for error than I would if I had to refer to a table before taking the shot. I'm not saying that using tables isn't more precise than the CDS (in fact I would use tables if shooting longer than 500 for sure). I'm simply questioning whether using tables is necessary or efficient at intermediate ranges when, by all accounts I have read, the CDS system is dead nuts if you have good data, and environmentals don't make more than 2" of difference at those ranges.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #40
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Quote:

Call B Tactical in Caddo Mills. They have a great range and I think they may rent chronos.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #41
Stick1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

Quote:
Elevation, temperature, and humidity.

Here's an example of my observation using Hornady's online ballistic calculator.

Condition 1
Elevation: 500 ft
Temperature: 65 degrees
Humidity: 70%
Sight Height 1.5 in
MOA Adjustment at 500 Yards: 11.12

Condition 2
Elevation: 10,000 ft
Temperature: 30 degrees
Humidity: 30%
Sight Height 1.5 in
MOA Adjustment at 500 Yards: 11.35

This is a functional difference of 1/4 MOA or one click at 500 yards. This will represent approximately a 1.25 inch difference on target at that range. When you are aiming at a 10"X10" space behind the shoulder of a deer sized game animal (much larger for elk, 1.25" isn't a deal breaker. My view is that I can turn the CDS dial to the appropriate range and take the shot in much less time and with much less potential for error than I would if I had to refer to a table before taking the shot. I'm not saying that using tables isn't more precise than the CDS (in fact I would use tables if shooting longer than 500 for sure). I'm simply questioning whether using tables is necessary or efficient at intermediate ranges when, by all accounts I have read, the CDS system is dead nuts if you have good data, and environmentals don't make more than 2" of difference at those ranges.
Where is pressure in your calculations? Its a much bigger factor than humidity.
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #42
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Same conditions as above.

Condition 1
MOA adjustment at 500 yards (Barometric Pressure at 29): +10.97
MOA adjustment at 500 yards (Barometric Pressure at 30.5): +11.17

Condition 2
MOA adjustment at 500 yards (Barometric Pressure at 29): +11.22
MOA adjustment at 500 yards (Barometric Pressure at 30.5): +11.44

This is a pretty wide range of conditions, including an elevation change of 9,500, feet, a temperature difference of 40 degrees, a humidity difference of 40%, and a barometric pressure difference of 1.5 inches. At the extreme end, the data I have used shows a 3 inch difference at most. If I were to order a CDS dial, I would either order one for each set of conditions (representing hunting here in Texas, as well as at high altitude), or possibly order a single turret that splits the two. If you split the middle, you are still only off by 1.5 inches at 500 yards at either conditional extreme.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #43
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Same conditions as above.

Condition 1
MOA adjustment at 500 yards (Barometric Pressure at 29): +10.97
MOA adjustment at 500 yards (Barometric Pressure at 30.5): +11.17

Condition 2
MOA adjustment at 500 yards (Barometric Pressure at 29): +11.22
MOA adjustment at 500 yards (Barometric Pressure at 30.5): +11.44

This is a pretty wide range of conditions, including an elevation change of 9,500, feet, a temperature difference of 40 degrees, a humidity difference of 40%, and a barometric pressure difference of 1.5 inches. At the extreme end, the data I have used shows a 3 inch difference at most. If I were to order a CDS dial, I would either order one for each set of conditions (representing hunting here in Texas, as well as at high altitude), or possibly order a single turret that splits the two. If you split the middle, you are still only off by 1.5 inches at 500 yards at either conditional extreme.
Lmao. Pressure change is FAR greater than that. Very low at high altitude. I was at 21-22ish at 8000’ if I recall.

I know you’re looking at what your data says. Try shooting in it. And it’s just beginning at 500. Go to 1000 or better.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #44
Slow&Steady
Six Point

I understand it makes a big difference at 1,000 yards. I have no intention or desire to shoot that far. I've shot out to 1,000 with my brother and it's fun on the range, but doesn't appeal to me for hunting purposes. Therefore, I'm not concerned with ranges beyond 500. Also, I've attached a list of record atmospheric pressures below. Further, I looked at the records for Leadville, CO, which is above 10,000 ft, and did not find a pressure record below 29in. I believe the only time you will find pressures below 28 or so is in a major storm.

https://www.wunderground.com/resourc...re_records.asp

Again, if my purpose was to shoot out beyond that, I would fit my rifle with a dedicated long range optic. I don't question that that is the better answer for those purposes. I'm more concerned with whether or not the CDS system provides accurate adjustments that can be relied on from 300 yards to 500 yards.

Last edited by Slow&Steady; 02-19-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #45
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I understand it makes a big difference at 1,000 yards. I have no intention or desire to shoot that far. I've shot out to 1,000 with my brother and it's fun on the range, but doesn't appeal to me for hunting purposes. Therefore, I'm not concerned with ranges beyond 500. Also, I've attached a list of record atmospheric pressures below. Further, I looked at the records for Leadville, CO, which is above 10,000 ft, and did not find a pressure record below 29in. I believe the only time you will find pressures below 28 or so is in a major storm.

https://www.wunderground.com/resourc...re_records.asp

Again, if my purpose was to shoot out beyond that, I would fit my rifle with a dedicated long range optic. I don't question that that is the better answer for those purposes. I'm more concerned with whether or not the CDS system provides accurate adjustments that can be relied on from 300 yards to 500 yards.
My kestrel says otherwise. In person.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #46
RShockley
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Instead of using custom turrets I just use dope cards I place in my cap of my eyepiece cover. I have multiple cards for weather conditions, loads, and even locations. That way if you make a change to loads or the weather is a bit warmer you aren’t stuck with inaccurate turrets.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #47
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Quote:
My kestrel says otherwise. In person.
Then you need to report that reading of 21in to NOAA, since it breaks the current world record low pressure reading by a lot.

Guinness records the following:
"A figure of 870 millibar (25.69 in) was recorded on 12 Oct 1979 by the US Air Weather Service 483 km (300 miles) west of Guam in the Pacific Ocean in the eye of Super Typhoon Tip which involved wind speeds of 165 kts (305 km/h; 190 mph). Barometric pressure is the physical pressure exerted by all of the air above you."

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...etric-pressure

Nobody is hitting anything in that weather, unless they've got the muzzle pressed against it.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #48
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Lmao. Pressure change is FAR greater than that. Very low at high altitude. I was at 21-22ish at 8000’ if I recall.

I know you’re looking at what your data says. Try shooting in it. And it’s just beginning at 500. Go to 1000 or better.
Slow&Steady - You are talking about a record at Sea Level. It changes with altitude.

Last edited by captainsling; 02-19-2018 at 04:57 PM.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #49
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Then you need to report that reading of 21in to NOAA, since it breaks the current world record low pressure reading by a lot.

Guinness records the following:
"A figure of 870 millibar (25.69 in) was recorded on 12 Oct 1979 by the US Air Weather Service 483 km (300 miles) west of Guam in the Pacific Ocean in the eye of Super Typhoon Tip which involved wind speeds of 165 kts (305 km/h; 190 mph). Barometric pressure is the physical pressure exerted by all of the air above you."

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...etric-pressure

Nobody is hitting anything in that weather, unless they've got the muzzle pressed against it.
How it calculates it Iím not sure. But when I input my data my bullet was true. I agree it seemed low. But density altitude changes things a lot is the entire point here.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #50
Slow&Steady
Six Point

Quote:
How it calculates it I’m not sure. But when I input my data my bullet was true. I agree it seemed low. But density altitude changes things a lot is the entire point here.
Understood, but I believe that's covered under the altitude factor of ballistic input, not the pressure factor.

In any case, my question stands. Based on the bullet and muzzle velocity listed above, it appears that even at these environmental differences, a variation of 3 inches seems to be the maximum at 500 yards. Given that information, is that difference severe enough not to use a Leupold CDS system for ranges under 500 yards by splitting the difference in altitude, temperature, and pressure conditions you plan to encounter? By doing so, you would be, presumably, no more than 1.5 inches off due to adjustment inaccuracy related to environmental conditions.

Last edited by Slow&Steady; 02-19-2018 at 05:09 PM.