Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
Wil Taylor
Ten Point
 
Wil Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crosby Tx
Hunt In: Menard
Default Anyone have a 308 subsonic load data

Just seeing if anyone has any info on 308 subsonic. I ordered myself some thermal today and just getting ready
Wil Taylor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #2
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Taylor View Post
Just seeing if anyone has any info on 308 subsonic. I ordered myself some thermal today and just getting ready
What twist do you have? 1-10 is a minimum.

I shoot 168gr bergers over 9.7gr of Trailboss. This load is in a 20" bbl. You will need to play with it to get the optimum velocity for your setup.

Mine shoots 1 hole at 50 ( you can watch the hole open up in the target after you shoot it) and sub moa at 100.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
What twist do you have? 1-10 is a minimum.

I shoot 168gr bergers over 9.7gr of Trailboss. This load is in a 20" bbl. You will need to play with it to get the optimum velocity for your setup.

Mine shoots 1 hole at 50 ( you can watch the hole open up in the target after you shoot it) and sub moa at 100.
Do you have any issues with it being unstable with so much open case? Iím tuned in for info on this.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
kck
Eight Point
 
kck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: La Grange, TX
Hunt In: Level 3 MLD Golf Course
Default

I have very good luck in a 16.5" 10 twist rock creek barreled 308. My load is 10.1 grains of trailboss in Lapua brass. 175 matchkings sitting .010 off lands with .002 neck tension and federal primers. The 10.1 of trailboss fills the case quite a bit and I hold nice groups out to 100 yards. I shoot a lot of deer on the golf course here (head shots) so all of my shots are 50 yards roughly. This load gives me 1/2"-3/4" 3 shot groups at 50-60 yards.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Do you have any issues with it being unstable with so much open case? Iím tuned in for info on this.
Bullets are 100% stable and the trailboss gives good case fill.

Key things to remember.

1. You need bullet jump to make sure bullets do not stick.
2. Start Supersonic and work slowly backward until you hit velocity,
3. Use a chronograph
4. Use a chronograph
5. Use a chronograph


Some talk about lubing the bullets. I never did that.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
jmeghunts
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Do you have any issues with it being unstable with so much open case? Iím tuned in for info on this.
I was using Trail Boss and it's kinda fluffy so there isn't much open case in there. Mine liked 10.5 grains of Trail Boss for a 220gr bullet. Speeds were around 1020 ish.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
Bullets are 100% stable and the trailboss gives good case fill.

Key things to remember.

1. You need bullet jump to make sure bullets do not stick.
2. Start Supersonic and work slowly backward until you hit velocity,
3. Use a chronograph
4. Use a chronograph
5. Use a chronograph


Some talk about lubing the bullets. I never did that.
10-4!! And I canít imagine having a bullet get stuck haha.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
10-4!! And I canít imagine having a bullet get stuck haha.
I saw a guy on a video that had to hammer a bullet out with a cleaning rod.

I imagine that is not good for a barrel.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
Gunnyart
Pope & Young
 
Gunnyart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mansfield, TX
Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX
Default

Are the 168 Bergers effective at low velocity?
I’m anxious to see some loads for the new Hornady subsonic expander.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
Are the 168 Bergers effective at low velocity?
Iím anxious to see some loads for the new Hornady subsonic expander.
The new hornady bullets are vaporware at this time.

Subsonic bullets IMHO are headshot only as they have the KE of a 9mm pistol (168gr) or a .45 ACP (220gr).

They work awesome for head shooting does and pigs at 50yds. All DRT!!!!!!
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #11
Gunnyart
Pope & Young
 
Gunnyart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mansfield, TX
Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX
Default

Since he mentioned Thermal Iím assuming the OP is planning to hunt pigs with them.

1) head shots at close range only if using subsonic and you actually want to recover the pig.

Or

2) since theyíre going to scatter either way just run a suppressor to be less punishing on the ears and kill the flash and a decent hunting round. Better and longer performance.

Just my two cents.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
Since he mentioned Thermal Iím assuming the OP is planning to hunt pigs with them.

1) head shots at close range only if using subsonic and you actually want to recover the pig.

Or

2) since theyíre going to scatter either way just run a suppressor to be less punishing on the ears and kill the flash and a decent hunting round. Better and longer performance.

Just my two cents.
They also scatter with a suppressor even with subsonics.

But they run away from the hit animal. I prefer supersonics, I hit the last pig and they tend to run toward me, even in the daytime.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #13
chrisk
Ten Point
 
chrisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockville,In.
Default

I have thought about loading sub sonic rounds for my .308
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I have thought about loading sub sonic rounds for my .308
Unless it is a 1-10 or faster I would not worry with it.

It is fun for giggles but I have stuck to supersonic.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #15
Wil Taylor
Ten Point
 
Wil Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crosby Tx
Hunt In: Menard
Default

Thanks guys for the info
Wil Taylor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #16
hoythitman
Ten Point
 
hoythitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Just a dove spot unfortunately
Default Anyone have a 308 subsonic load data

175 Sierra match king over 10 grains of trail boss. Shoots MOA out to 100. We shot it out to 300 yards which was a blast. Went 10 for 10 on a steel 10Ē steel plate once we got the dope right.

16.5Ē barrel. 1:10 twist.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hoythitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com