Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #51
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
This is what I was wanting.

So 7-08 still good at 20" barrel length?

Also what kind of bbl twist would I need? For .308 I was thinking 1:10 and to keep shooting 165gr gamekings but in 7-08 looking like I could go 160gr gamekings or 162gr ELD-X.

Hmmmmm. May change it up
1:8 or 1:9. 20-22 is fine.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #52
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawkman View Post
http://www.snipercentral.com/308-win...-62x51mm-nato/

Pretty interesting. There Are plenty of calibers that have better ballistics, but That is not that important especially at 300. There are plenty of other things that make 308 a great choice. One of the best for what you described.IMO The biggest for me is it wonít kick like a mule! (280) Not good in the wind or out of short bbl? Really!
280 doesnít recoil any worse than a 308. And yes a 308 sucks in the wind. Iím talking steering a bullet in the wind. Ballistic coefficient.

Vast majority of folks I see recommend a 308 do not understand the ballistics side of things. Thatís fine. Iím just giving the man facts. Shoot that 308 to distance distance and youíll see. Itís like sending a Volkswagen in a hurricane.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #53
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
280 doesnít recoil any worse than a 308. And yes a 308 sucks in the wind. Iím talking steering a bullet in the wind. Ballistic coefficient.

Vast majority of folks I see recommend a 308 do not understand the ballistics side of things. Thatís fine. Iím just giving the man facts. Shoot that 308 to distance distance and youíll see. Itís like sending a Volkswagen in a hurricane.
Everyone is in entitled to there opinion. I completely understand ballistics. I stated there are plenty of other calls that have better. He is not shooting 1200. 308 has been PROVEN to be one of the most predictable cals in the wind. I do shoot 308 to distance. I donít know where your getting your facts. Can you share your source. Thanks
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #54
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Iíll just leave this here:
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #55
hweissert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Fannin, Grayson, Kansas, Oklahoma

An 8 twist 7-08 would be my choice out of many listed. 308 is a great round but doesn’t hold a candle to many listed above. If you have the same muzzle velocity, say 2800 FPS and shoot the same weight bullet say 168 gr vld, in the 308 vs the 7-08 the 7 will be almost 30” higher at 100 yards. There a BC tutorial...it matters. Same reason I’ve never understood many to build thorobred magnums and cut their hooves off with a short 22-24” barrel
hweissert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #56
hweissert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Fannin, Grayson, Kansas, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin05 View Post
I’ll just leave this here:
That’s funny. Hornady knocked one outta the park on marketing that one. Who’d of ever thought a company would build one of the most ballistic inferior 6.5’s to date and itd take off like a rocket. Bravo to Hornady. They finally hit a homer
hweissert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #57
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweissert View Post
Thatís funny. Hornady knocked one outta the park on marketing that one. Whoíd of ever thought a company would build one of the most ballistic inferior 6.5ís to date and itd take off like a rocket. Bravo to Hornady. They finally hit a homer

Agree, I scratch my head every time I see another rifle chambered in it. Canít blame the manufacturers, theyíre selling em like hot cakes.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #58
NatureBoy
Four Point

Hunt In: Montgomery County and Houston County

I have a 6.5 creed, 7-08, .280AI and .308 all built on trued rem actions. I hate going with the grain but gave into the 6.5 and man, does it shoot.

SINCE youre going with factory ammo, I would say go with .308 because good ammo is easy to find and every store will present options. The 7-08 is common enough to find a box of bullets but not near of a selection in the regular stores.

If you get stuck on a 7-08 then I would look at an 8 twist and get your buddy to do some load development with you and then get a few hundred made to your recipe. The reason I say an 8 twist is because this will allow you to shoot the heavier bullets....which are usually longer....which usually have a higher BC.

The .284 bullet is very well designed from a physics standpoint but I feel in order to take advantage of it, one would need to be able to shoot the longer bullets (have to remember OAL length and magazine box length constrictions too)

If you decide on the .284 bullet then maybe look at the .280 rem. Bullet selection is going to be even worse than the 7-08 BUT can get a little extra powder behind the bullet and it would be on a long action and so it just seems a little bit easier to fit the longer bullets (projectile portion) in the magazines.

This may seem complicated but it really isnt. If you have access to a buddy thats really into shooting, then talk to him about it and he can most likely explain things.
NatureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:29 AM   #59
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Talk me out of .308

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweissert View Post
Thatís funny. Hornady knocked one outta the park on marketing that one. Whoíd of ever thought a company would build one of the most ballistic inferior 6.5ís to date and itd take off like a rocket. Bravo to Hornady. They finally hit a homer

Cheap ammo is what sold me on my APR build.

Iím a .264 win mag fan for hunting but the 6.5 CM ended up winning out due to ammo cost.

Thereís only so many $60 to $100 boxes of ammo you can buy before you start looking elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Black Ice; 02-13-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #60
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

At the distances you are talking, thereís not going to be enough difference to matter going to a 7-08 over the 308 to justify cutting your available factory ammo selection in at least 1/2. To get the best advantage of a higher BC of the 7mm Bullet youíll need to go heavier and the powder capacity just isnít there in the 7-08.

You could take the 308 all the way down to 16Ē and still do what you want easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #61
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Some good info here some not so good.

.308 vs 7-08

Same parent cartridge so the powder capacity will be about the same. If the bullet weights are the same.....say 168 gr the .308 will be about 200 fps faster but it will have a lower BC .618 for 7mm vs 0.489 for .308.

At less than 300 yds the BC difference will never make much of a difference. Period. Anyone that says it will has not spent much time studying it or at the range. The difference is purely academic. Over 300 yds BC is a HUGE factor.

Do you want the flattest shooting hardest hitting cartridge? Go .300 RUM.

This places a 210gr bullet (G1 0.625) at 3050 in my rifle.

Flat, hits hard and keeps energy down range.

If you want a versatile, economic cartridge that will do everything you want with easy to find ammo and relatively low recoil......the .308 is hard to beat.

The 6.5 is good but you can't go with heavy bullets if you choose. The 7-08 is good but at less than 300 it is no better than the .308.

You asked us to talk you out of the .308. At under 300yds a strong case against the .308 can not be made.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #62
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
I actually see most replies have said it doesnít do well at anything but will get the job done. If I missed something, let me know.

Mark, the 7-08, 6.5, etc in my opinion out perform it. However for a non magnum I think a 280 would be one of the best all around calibers you can get. Nosler makes very good ammo for it. Will you find it in every corner store in Texas? No. But itís easy to buy. For your need to do list, thereís a pile of calibers that will do what you need. Iím not a fan of the 308 as itís innefficient. Itís not good in the wind. Itís slow. It doesnít hit as hard as some I mentioned due to these as well. You can run a 7-08 in a shorter barrel and itíll do fine. As with several others. If a guy wants a 308 then my vote is buy 2!! . But not based on it being a good caliber.
Where is the like button ? My favorite deer round is the plain, old fashioned .280 Rem. Factory loads are great, home brews are greater. The 7-08 is my second choice. I don't own a .308 for the same reason I don't buy vanilla ice cream....
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #63
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
Some good info here some not so good.

.308 vs 7-08

Same parent cartridge so the powder capacity will be about the same. If the bullet weights are the same.....say 168 gr the .308 will be about 200 fps faster but it will have a lower BC .618 for 7mm vs 0.489 for .308.

At less than 300 yds the BC difference will never make much of a difference. Period. Anyone that says it will has not spent much time studying it or at the range. The difference is purely academic. Over 300 yds BC is a HUGE factor.

Do you want the flattest shooting hardest hitting cartridge? Go .300 RUM.

This places a 210gr bullet (G1 0.625) at 3050 in my rifle.

Flat, hits hard and keeps energy down range.

If you want a versatile, economic cartridge that will do everything you want with easy to find ammo and relatively low recoil......the .308 is hard to beat.

The 6.5 is good but you can't go with heavy bullets if you choose. The 7-08 is good but at less than 300 it is no better than the .308.

You asked us to talk you out of the .308. At under 300yds a strong case against the .308 can not be made.
Gotta compare apples to apples. Run the 140 in the 7-08 and 168 in the 308.

FYI I was only pointing out where the 308 lacks compared to the other calibers. I know full well you wonít see much difference at 300 yards. But if I recall he mentioned wanting to play around shooting further. You and I both know what that turns into haha
Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #64
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Everyone is in entitled to there opinion. I completely understand ballistics. I stated there are plenty of other calls that have better. He is not shooting 1200. 308 has been PROVEN to be one of the most predictable cals in the wind. I do shoot 308 to distance. I donít know where your getting your facts. Can you share your source. Thanks
Most predictable cals in the wind.

Lmao. Iím out on this conversation.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #65
Gobblerslayer
Four Point

Do it! I have a nice for sale in the classifieds.
Gobblerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #66
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Gotta compare apples to apples. Run the 140 in the 7-08 and 168 in the 308.

FYI I was only pointing out where the 308 lacks compared to the other calibers. I know full well you wonít see much difference at 300 yards. But if I recall he mentioned wanting to play around shooting further. You and I both know what that turns into haha
And with 140 7mm vs 168 .308 the velocities are the about same......and so are the BC

.500 for the 7mm and .498 .308.

So again not much difference with apples to apples.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #67
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
And with 140 7mm vs 168 .308 the velocities are the about same......and so are the BC

.500 for the 7mm and .498 .308.

So again not much difference with apples to apples.
.473 on 308 and .510 on 7-08.

Iíve shot both past 1000. I can tell you the 308 falls on its face much faster than the 7-08. As I said before, any of these calibers mentioned by everyone here will get the job done that the OP asked about. Itís all about personal preference and future use. Now compare the other that I mentioned. The 280.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #68
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Great Choice..308.....I'm partial to all based on 243win/260rem/308/358win and a few more that I cant think of right now
cva34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #69
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
.473 on 308 and .510 on 7-08.

Iíve shot both past 1000. I can tell you the 308 falls on its face much faster than the 7-08. As I said before, any of these calibers mentioned by everyone here will get the job done that the OP asked about. Itís all about personal preference and future use. Now compare the other that I mentioned. The 280.
I was quoting the numbers for Berger Bullets. You know as I do that different bullets perform differently in different calibers. Berger's numbers are the best I have seen as they translate to real work performance.

Velocity were from Hodgdon and I can squeak more performance out of most loads.

Lets compare the 280 to my .300 RUM........LOL
Old 02-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #70
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was quoting the numbers for Berger Bullets. You know as I do that different bullets perform differently in different calibers. Berger's numbers are the best I have seen as they translate to real work performance.

Velocity were from Hodgdon and I can squeak more performance out of most loads.

Lets compare the 280 to my .300 RUM........LOL
Haha. Iíve got my own to compare to the 300 rum haha.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #71
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

The only 6.5 I've shot was a Savage Axis Heavy barrel, and that thing could clover leaf with the right factory ammo at 100 yds. I've got a .308 Weatherby S2 and it does everything I need it to do as far as Texas hunting goes, but that 6.5 impressed me. Not so much the gun, but I like the caliber. Can't beat the availability of good factory ammo in .308 though. Did a lot of messing around with factory ammo with the creedmoor and Hornady and Remington Corp lokts shot best. Shot a big Boar with the Hornady 129gr SST no exit, didn't go far, but still no exit. I'm guessing(hoping) the Corp Lokts would provide an exit.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #72
dustin_mud
Four Point

Have you looked into a 26 Nosler? I just got mine before the last rifle season and never looking back. Only down side is the price of ammo. .308 is a great round but I wanted something a little different.
dustin_mud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #73
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

7mm-08 all day.
I have one in an 18" barrel for suppressed shooting and it performs just fine.
It is MUCH more comfortable to shoot a bunch than a .308.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #74
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Quote:
Most predictable cals in the wind.

Lmao. Iím out on this conversation.
That is what I thought you would say!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #75
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
That is what I thought you would say!
ďMuh seeeeex fiiiii creee mooooor eeez zee best caribur for wong wange chooting een zee word!!Ē ~Confucius circa 450 BC
Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #76
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Quote:
ďMuh seeeeex fiiiii creee mooooor eeez zee best caribur for wong wange chooting een zee word!!Ē ~Confucius circa 450 BC
Thatís why US Army, USMC, and most low enforcement agencies have used 308 since the end of WWII and still do out to 800 to 1000. They have been doing it wrong all this time. You certainly need to go straighten them out.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #77
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thatís why US Army, USMC, and most low enforcement agencies have used 308 since the end of WWII and still do out to 800 to 1000. They have been doing it wrong all this time. You certainly need to go straighten them out.

I was hoping someone would throw that out there. They also make a decision based on financials. I donít

They use 300 win and 338 lapua as well. Soooo.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #78
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
I was hoping someone would throw that out there. They also make a decision based on financials. I donít

I was talking with a procurement officer for a local PD. He said what drives it more than anything is the FBI research and what is considered "Normal". This also drives the need for factory researched, tested and real world used ammo.

If you get outside of that with bullets, or with calibers you open yourself up for litigation if something goes wrong.

Shame how lawyers tend to screw everything up.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #79
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
At the distances you are talking, thereís not going to be enough difference to matter going to a 7-08 over the 308 to justify cutting your available factory ammo selection in at least 1/2. To get the best advantage of a higher BC of the 7mm Bullet youíll need to go heavier and the powder capacity just isnít there in the 7-08.

You could take the 308 all the way down to 16Ē and still do what you want easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
x1000 The problem with these threads is that we talk for years about 1% differences between cartridges and completely lose perspective when someone comes in asking about a good all-around rifle.

300 RUM? 26 Nosler? 308 being basically a boat anchor ballistically? Come on guys, he wants a 20" deer rifle.
Balcones_Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #80
starn11gy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora tx. Sutton County

Hard to beat the .308! I do like the .270wsm and the .300 wsm. But .308 is much more all around comfortable choice. Good luck
starn11gy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #81
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was talking with a procurement officer for a local PD. He said what drives it more than anything is the FBI research and what is considered "Normal". This also drives the need for factory researched, tested and real world used ammo.

If you get outside of that with bullets, or with calibers you open yourself up for litigation if something goes wrong.

Shame how lawyers tend to screw everything up.
Yeah itís hard to compare military and LEO rounds with civilian stuff. But you can look st F class, PRS, and cross course calibers to get an idea.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #82
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Quote:

Out past 1000.
The op didnít say I want to spend a lot more money to get something that will do the same thing his 308 would do.
Sometimes we want to be different so bad we do things like that.
Good luck!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #83
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Out past 1000.
The op didnít say I want to spend a lot more money to get something that will do the same thing his 308 would do.
Sometimes we want to be different so bad we do things like that.
Good luck!
Youíre right. He should put a vortex crossfire on the 308. After all it will do the same thing as a Swarovski at 300 yards right?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #84
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:

lol are you trying to bolster your argument with the fact that the government uses the round? because the government is known for being agile and making the most logical decisions based on science and economics... right?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #85
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Quote:
Youíre right. He should put a vortex crossfire on the 308. After all it will do the same thing as a Swarovski at 300 yards right?
Now your starting a whole new argument. 300 middle of the day good light. I donít see why not. haha.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #86
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Now your starting a whole new argument. 300 middle of the day good light. I donít see why not. haha.
Itís like talking about trump with a liberal
Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #87
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
Quote:
I already know what scope is going on it. Not a name that is always paired with quality but it is some good glass and I get a crazy deal on it
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #88
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I already know what scope is going on it. Not a name that is always paired with quality but it is some good glass and I get a crazy deal on it
I was just using it as an example brother. Not making a suggestion lol. Anything you pick for the caliber will be fine at 300. Iím just joking around. No need to get fancy. But itís more of a want. So go fancy
Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #89
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Quote:
Itís like talking about trump with a liberal
Well now youíve gone to far!! The man makes the gun the gun doesnít make the man.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #90
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was just using it as an example brother. Not making a suggestion lol. Anything you pick for the caliber will be fine at 300. Iím just joking around. No need to get fancy. But itís more of a want. So go fancy
hahaha I know. but thanks to some of your input and my buddies I am really thinking about the 7-08. I know most shots will be close but it will be fun to try to hit steel at 1000 and something I would like to work up to. I know shooting factory ammo isn't ideal I am just wanting a good all around gun and think either will work.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #91
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
hahaha I know. but thanks to some of your input and my buddies I am really thinking about the 7-08. I know most shots will be close but it will be fun to try to hit steel at 1000 and something I would like to work up to. I know shooting factory ammo isn't ideal I am just wanting a good all around gun and think either will work.
Regardless of opinion. A 308 struggles at 1000. Most loads go subsonic at 750-800. Iíve shot one a lot further. And know lots of guys that have shot to a mile with them in 16-18Ē guns. But the wind and elevation holds were absolutely insane lol.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #92
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Wait, now it's a 1000 yard gun? I take back my comment about "come on guys, he just wants a deer rifle".

7-08 is a great cartridge but would *not* be my first choice at 1k. Neither would .308.

6.5x284/264WM, 7mag/280AI, or 300W(S)M depending on your preferred blend of BC vs. wind bucking vs. recoil
Balcones_Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #93
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
I can't think of one....proceed.
Quote:
Realize that the 6.5 Creed is guaranteed to do the following.

1. Bring World Peace
2, Cure Cancer
3. Feed the Hungry
4. House the Homeless
5. Solve poverty
6. Clean the Oceans
7. Stop Climate Change
8. Make Cats and Dogs Get along.
9. Make wives approve of any gun purchases.

We all need to embrace this.

joking aside
I love my .308 and will do everything you are asking.
x2!
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #94
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
Wait, now it's a 1000 yard gun? I take back my comment about "come on guys, he just wants a deer rifle".

7-08 is a great cartridge but would *not* be my first choice at 1k. Neither would .308.

6.5x284/264WM, 7mag/280AI, or 300W(S)M depending on your preferred blend of BC vs. wind bucking vs. recoil
Haha. I caught his earlier comment about playing out further. Like I said, I know what that turns into. Obviously my choice is 7 mag for LR work. But not factory ammo.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #95
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Haha. I caught his earlier comment about playing out further. Like I said, I know what that turns into. Obviously my choice is 7 mag for LR work. But not factory ammo.
And if I am playing at long range the .300 RUM comes out and eats peoples lunch.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #96
Evolver
Eight Point

Hunt In: West and Panhandle

Entertaining discussion, as always. I won't try to talk you out of 308. I would try to talk you into cutting another 2-4 inches off the barrel if you intend to run suppressed all the time. As all the ballistics hawks have pointed out, the 308 just can't win any efficiency arguments against faster rounds with higher BC shooting at long range. However, once you start moving toward shorter barrels, there is an argument to be made for 308 efficiency shooting at moderate range. Don't get me wrong, physics is physics and starting FPS is what it is. But 308 does theoretically show better efficiency (less loss per inch of barrel) in shorter barrels. This is just based on case capacity vs bore diameter. This does not mean that at any point on a trajectory table the 308 will somehow surpass the hotrod calibers. The hotrod caliber will be blowing more fireball out the end of the barrel, but that projectile will still be moving faster and have higher BC.

OP makes it sound like money is non-issue and he wants what he wants. Cool! Do just that! Gun #1 is a hunting handy 16-18" 308 with suppressor for 400 yards and in. Gun #2 is one of the longer, sexier hotrods for those times when you want to stretch your legs a little bit. The two gun solution also allows the user to mount job specific glass for each rifle instead of trying to do both jobs okay but neither well.

Or you can just accept the fact that the internet has spoken and the 6.5 creed has been crowned as the now and forever pinnacle of firearms technology, suitable for everything from close range zombie combat to harvesting mosquitoes at 1000 yards.

Last edited by Evolver; 02-13-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Evolver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #97
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
And if I am playing at long range the .300 RUM comes out and eats peoples lunch.
What bullet and FPS are you running?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #98
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
What bullet and FPS are you running?
210gr Berger VLD (0.625 G1) at about 3050. I can probably get more velocity but at this I am one hole at 100 and about 2" groups at 300.

Now that I have my labradar I am planning on nailing the Velocity numbers down a little better.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #99
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
Entertaining discussion, as always. I won't try to talk you out of 308. I would try to talk you into cutting another 2-4 inches off the barrel if you intend to run suppressed all the time. As all the ballistics hawks have pointed out, the 308 just can't win any efficiency arguments against faster rounds with higher BC shooting at long range. However, once you start moving toward shorter barrels, there is an argument to be made for 308 efficiency shooting at moderate range. Don't get me wrong, physics is physics and starting FPS is what it is. But 308 does theoretically show better efficiency (less loss per inch of barrel) in shorter barrels. This is just based on case capacity vs bore diameter. This does not mean that at any point on a trajectory table the 308 will somehow surpass the hotrod calibers. The hotrod caliber will be blowing more fireball out the end of the barrel, but that projectile will still be moving faster and have higher BC.

OP makes it sound like money is non-issue and he wants what he wants. Cool! Do just that! Gun #1 is a hunting handy 16-18" 308 with suppressor for 400 yards and in. Gun #2 is one of the longer, sexier hotrods for those times when you want to stretch your legs a little bit. The two gun solution also allows the user to mount job specific glass for each rifle instead of trying to do both jobs okay but neither well.

Or you can just accept the fact that the internet has spoken and the 6.5 creed has been crowned as the now and forever pinnacle of firearms technology, suitable for everything from close range zombie combat to harvesting mosquitoes at 1000 yards.
This is what I was thinking as well.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #100
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
210gr Berger VLD (0.625 G1) at about 3050. I can probably get more velocity but at this I am one hole at 100 and about 2" groups at 300.

Now that I have my labradar I am planning on nailing the Velocity numbers down a little better.
Nice!! 180 VLD at 3070 here. So idk about eating my whole lunch