Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla
Default Chest holster suggestions?

Been looking at things for my Wyoming Elk hunt and I will be carrying a back up sidearm in addition to bear spray as we will be in Grizz country. Since we will be spending alot of time on horseback I'm not sure how a belt holster will work along with my pack. I have been looking at some of the chest holsters and chest packs such as the Alaskan Wilderness and Hill People Gear. I dont want my holster attached to my pack as its often we dump packs to move faster if needed. Only issue I'm coming up with on the chest holster is it interfering with my binos.

My current solution would be if I got the Hill People Gear pack then I could attached a Molle bino case to the outside.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ.../1/ProductID/5

http://www.cabelas.com/product/MAN-G...7.uts?slotId=2

Any thoughts?
canny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
DimmitCo
Four Point

Is a thigh holster out of the question given the time on horseback?
DimmitCo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

The Chesty Suspension System from Simply Rugged Holsters is pretty nice.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...160&parent=672
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

I'd look at a thigh holster or a shoulder holster.
AgBass01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Prior to you mentioning the Hill People Gear I would have went another way with my suggestion.

Needless to say the HPG gets my vote. I have one and run through my neighborhood with it and my G19. I have worn it backpacking (read: during field training exercises ) and it is one of my favorite pieces of kit that I own. Worth the coin and very well made.
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Lawhunter
Eight Point

I went with a kenai. Zero regrets using it with my .460
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
canny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
I went with a kenai. Zero regrets using it with my .460
Yeah I like the Kenai, but dang...150.00! That is what drove me away. I like their concept, but other options provide element protection as well as storage for other items such as bullets, cell phone, tags, etc.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

What handgun will you be carrying?
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
Clay C
Ten Point

Heard good things about Hill People. Those of you mentioning a thigh holster. Are you talking about a drop leg? Those things suck horribly. Especially given the OP's need to potentially move around quickly.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #10
gumbl3
Ten Point

Hunt In: muenster

Have never seen a bad review for the Kenai from Gunfighters Inc

You'll be wearing it all day so better make sure it's as comfortable as your underwear
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
csmith936
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co/Houston Co

Kenai.....worth every penny!
csmith936 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Yeah I like the Kenai, but dang...150.00! That is what drove me away. I like their concept, but other options provide element protection as well as storage for other items such as bullets, cell phone, tags, etc.
I'm assuming you'll be wearing a pistol or revolver for protection from bears ? Is your hide worth $150 ?
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
Lawhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
I purchase a bullet loop for it and it holds an additional 6 rounds. My revolver only holds 5, so that is another full cylinder plus one. If Iím still in trouble after all of that with a 460 then I give up.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #14
aac_shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbl3 View Post
Have never seen a bad review for the Kenai from Gunfighters Inc

You'll be wearing it all day so better make sure it's as comfortable as your underwear

I have the Kenai and it is great.
aac_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #15
Clay C
Ten Point

Default Chest holster suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
I purchase a bullet loop for it and it holds an additional 6 rounds. My revolver only holds 5, so that is another full cylinder plus one. If Iím still in trouble after all of that with a 460 then I give up.

Man there was just a case where some guys had to shoot a sow griz like 7 times with a .300 win mag to stop it. Better pack another full cylinder haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #16
canny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I'm assuming you'll be wearing a pistol or revolver for protection from bears ? Is your hide worth $150 ?
Not really an argument there, when there are a plethora of other chest holsters that IMO have more to offer than the Kenai and are less than 150.00.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #17
canny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
What handgun will you be carrying?
Well my original plan was going to be a G29 or G20 in 10mm, but I have recently came across some good deals on a Ruger GP100 and a Dan Wesson, both 6" revolvers in .357 mag. Since I already have supplies to reload for the 357 I can build a load that produces more energy than the 10mm. So I may go that route.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #18
mrc
Ten Point

Quote:
Well my original plan was going to be a G29 or G20 in 10mm, but I have recently came across some good deals on a Ruger GP100 and a Dan Wesson, both 6" revolvers in .357 mag. Since I already have supplies to reload for the 357 I can build a load that produces more energy than the 10mm. So I may go that route.
With a 6" I might go with a chest rig, but my 4" I am very comfortable with a quality high riding leather holster in the pickup or sitting. I have shot big pigs with both a 10mm and 357 with heavy hand loads and while it does the job I don't think I would be comfortable with it against a bear. If it is what you are comfortable with then by all means use it, it is better than nothing. I have recently worked up a load in my 4" 629 with a 310 WFN at about 1200 fps that is a real hammer. I had a GP 100 once that had a tight forcing cone and didn't like cast bullets, every time I shot it lead peeled off the bullets and hit you in face. I might of had a bad one but you might check into it if you go that route.

Last edited by mrc; 02-13-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #19
canny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
With a 6" I might go with a chest rig, but my 4" I am very comfortable with a quality high riding leather holster in the pickup or sitting. I have shot big pigs with both a 10mm and 357 with heavy hand loads and while it does the job I don't think I would be comfortable with it against a bear. If it is what you are comfortable with then by all means use it, it is better than nothing. I have recently worked up a load in my 4" 629 with a 310 WFN at about 1200 fps that is a real hammer. I had a GP 100 once that had a tight forcing cone and didn't like cast bullets, every time I shot it lead peeled off the bullets and hit you in face. I might of had a bad one but you might check into it if you go that route.
I know that the 357 or 10mm is not the perfect round. But I will be with 3 other guys that each will have either a 44 or a 500 S&W. I simply don't want to be the guy that has nothing at all for backup. I will mainly use the 357 as a hunting round here at home chasing pigs and such. If I were a full time guide in bear country I would be looking into a much larger round. Bear spray will be the primary deterrent.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
2Lazy2P
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

I've got a desantis yukon rig I wear when checking hog traps and shredding around our place. It wasn't expensive and holds my 10mm 1911 and an extra mag real well. Might check it out.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #21
RJH1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene area

Quote:
I know that the 357 or 10mm is not the perfect round. But I will be with 3 other guys that each will have either a 44 or a 500 S&W. I simply don't want to be the guy that has nothing at all for backup. I will mainly use the 357 as a hunting round here at home chasing pigs and such. If I were a full time guide in bear country I would be looking into a much larger round. Bear spray will be the primary deterrent.
Heck, make them carry you back up and your rifle/bow too. :-)
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #22
canny
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
Heck, make them carry you back up and your rifle/bow too. :-)
HAHAHA, don't tempt me....lol
Old 02-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

Quote:
I'd have a foot race to determine the slowest runners then just make sure you are ahead of them. Not carrying a sidearm might be the edge you needed
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #24
mrc
Ten Point

If it makes you happy and you can shoot it good then be confident in what you have. If you want a do all concealed carry weapon the go for the 29. The 200 WFN cast are plenty stout