Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb Look at these graphs & tables!!!

Well, if the ANTI's just wait 15-20 years the battle will be over at our current rate of decline. The high point for American hunters was in 1982.......whoa.....we better stop arguing among ourselves our this thing we call hunting is doomed!!!

https://www.outdoorlife.com/why-we-a...Tc1NgS2#page-9
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

That is alarming. I didn't read the entire article but the last segment talked about focusing on Hipsters and recruiting. If that's the target they will fail miserably. It's the cost of hunting and the commercialization of hunting that is killing itself. Back in the early 90's I said Bill Jordan, the Buckmaster nucklehead and Texas Trophy Magazine will ruin Hunting as we know it. My bad call was it happened quicker than I thought

Last edited by BrandonA; 01-22-2018 at 07:47 PM.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

Scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
That is alarming. I didn't read the entire article but the last segment talked about focusing on Hipsters and recruiting. If that's the target they will fail miserably. It's the cost of hunting and the commercialization of hunting that is killing itself. Back in the early 90's I said Bill Jordan, the Buckmaster nucklehead and Texas Trophy Magazine will ruin Hunting as we know it. My bad call was it happened quicker than I thought
Hipsters was just a small discussion in the article. But it was surprising to learn that children are NOT the best target audience to get ourselves out of this hole. I am sure that some will say the "research is flawed" but bottom line we know the situation is approaching critical mode!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
BrandonA
Pope & Young

This thread needs to be moved to the campfire imo Mods
Old 01-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
Landrover
Pope & Young

Thumbs up

Quote:
This thread needs to be moved to the campfire imo Mods
you probably correct on that one.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Hipsters was just a small discussion in the article. But it was surprising to learn that children are NOT the best target audience to get ourselves out of this hole. I am sure that some will say the "research is flawed" but bottom line we know the situation is approaching critical mode!!!
Oscar you are absolutely right it is critical but again, regardless of who you recruit, it all comes down to the cost and availability of hunting. I can see that children not being the best target but recruiting the parents etc that have either given up hunting due to whatever reason. It's getting more cost prohibitive and restrictive ( last part self induced) every year.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
texasnavy05
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, TX

I think we all know that the cost of hunting is starting to be prohibitive. Rural land prices are high. Buying a piece of property big enough to hunt is a huge expense for a middle class income. And, lease prices are getting ridiculously high.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
texasnavy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #9
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Oscar you are absolutely right it is critical but again, regardless of who you recruit, it all comes down to the cost and availability of hunting. I can see that children not being the best target but recruiting the parents etc that have either given up hunting due to whatever reason. It's getting more cost prohibitive and restrictive ( last part self induced) every year.

Cost and restrictive
Most folks are not willing.to sacrifice thousands of dollars in hopes of spending some relaxing time in the woods only to have someone else tell them what they can and cannot do ( kill ).
I said several years ago all this " antler management " was going to further ruin our heritage.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #10
100%TtId
Ten Point

I would like to see an overlay graph that compares the number of hunters to the loss of habitat over time. I suspect the two trends mirror each other.

As population grows so does urban sprawl. Your great great grandad used to have a deer blind where that new Starbucks sits.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #11
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Taking away the right to hunt in Texas to me is about as plausible as them coming to take all our guns. Hell if they outlaw hunting I bet not one less deer is killed in East TX that next season
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
stykshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: S. Dakota, Nebraska & Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
I would like to see an overlay graph that compares the number of hunters to the loss of habitat over time. I suspect the two trends mirror each other.

As population grows so does urban sprawl. Your great great grandad used to have a deer blind where that new Starbucks sits.
For a guy who hunted Columbus, Texas in the late 50's & 60's urban sprawl is unbelievable. As kid we seen so many ducks & geese from what is now beltway 8 & I10, Town & Country mall, Katy Mills mall, hotels, Walmart & you go on & on.

Few years ago a Neb. GW told me then that "local" hunting license sales had decrease by 20k
stykshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post

Cost and restrictive
Most folks are not willing.to sacrifice thousands of dollars in hopes of spending some relaxing time in the woods only to have someone else tell them what they can and cannot do ( kill ).
I said several years ago all this " antler management " was going to further ruin our heritage.
You are right about that. After we sold our ranch in Menard I got on a lease for one yr. It was so restrictive that after one year I said to hell with it. If it weren't for my parents buying another ranch I probably would be out of the hunting game.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #14
LWC
Ten Point

I think the whole trophy hunter aspect of hunting has a negative impact on hunter recruitment. Not that I don't love some big antlers. But when people think that is the goal of hunting, and then see that killing animals with big antlers is very expensive, it makes less people get involved. I think we could all do a better job showing hunting in a more positive light. Show the whole lifestyle and especially the FOOD aspect. I think Steve Rinella is a great advocate for hunting and we need more folks like him. Randy Newberg is too. Randy's focus is more public lands and Steve is more field to table but both are good for hunting IMO.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
Russ79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC

I am posting this at my own peril because I may get flamed, but here goes. There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy going on about hunting. I hear on this thread about how the price has gotten too high, trophy hunting is killing hunting, and to many restrictions. Well to me telling me what I have to do (in the interest of improving the herd (antler quality)) is the same is telling what I can't do. I understand general management rules to stop the "it's brown it's down" mentality. How many leases have we seen posted where the cost of the lease is anywhere from $2500 to $4500 plus all the extra money you have to spend to follow the "you have to's" and what is always the prevailing comment...."this shouldn't last long". The market is what anyone is willing to pay and then you aren't sure how long you will have it. Also, we have too many young people that need instant gratification to validate what they do- I drew a blank for the season that just closed but I am not throwing in the towel because I didn't get a physical return on my investment (venison in the freezer)- it is a challenge that I accept to make next year something to look forward to.
Russ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
Show the whole lifestyle and especially the FOOD aspect.
What's a computer?
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #17
Landrover
Pope & Young

Lightbulb

The numbers are declining nationally, not just Texas. Thus the LEASE cost discussion is just a microcosm of the overall decline. Sprawl is also another part of the discussion but not the whole discussion, etc, etc. The article is NOT about taking away hunting from anyone. It is about hunting becoming passe', unattractive to kids, natural attrition due to age demographics. Just read some of it and you will get the jist. Some of the potential solutions have real world implications........are we willing to save OUR chosen past time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ79 View Post
I am posting this at my own peril because I may get flamed, but here goes. There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy going on about hunting. I hear on this thread about how the price has gotten too high, trophy hunting is killing hunting, and to many restrictions. Well to me telling me what I have to do (in the interest of improving the herd (antler quality)) is the same is telling what I can't do. I understand general management rules to stop the "it's brown it's down" mentality. How many leases have we seen posted where the cost of the lease is anywhere from $2500 to $4500 plus all the extra money you have to spend to follow the "you have to's" and what is always the prevailing comment...."this shouldn't last long". The market is what anyone is willing to pay and then you aren't sure how long you will have it. Also, we have too many young people that need instant gratification to validate what they do- I drew a blank for the season that just closed but I am not throwing in the towel because I didn't get a physical return on my investment (venison in the freezer)- it is a challenge that I accept to make next year something to look forward to.
I guess I missed what you were gonna get flamed for. There is no completely right answer.........or completely wrong answer.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #18
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
The numbers are declining nationally, not just Texas. Thus the LEASE cost discussion is just a microcosm of the overall decline. Sprawl is also another part of the discussion but not the whole discussion, etc, etc. The article is NOT about taking away hunting from anyone. It is about hunting becoming passe',*** unattractive to kids, *** natural attrition due to age demographics. Just read some of it and you will get the jist. Some of the potential solutions have real world implications........are we willing to save OUR chosen past time?
What's a computer???
Old 01-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #19
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Texansfan is throwing bait....someone take it!
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #20
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ79 View Post
I dont know why you would think you would get flamed for this post.
I'll say this, the "what you have to do" and the "what you cant do" typically go hand in hand on nearly all "management minded" leases. Tons of lease ad's posted with long list of what you must provide along with a long list of terms ( permissions) on what you can shoot. I dont see many of these requirements on smaller leases but then again smaller low fence leases will typically have much fewer opportunities at high quality ( scoring ) bucks.
As for instant gratification. I have become more convinced there are just as many adults who have this same mentality in recent years. What other reason would a person pay 15k for a buck. Might just be the first generation to grow up with the everyone gets a trophy crowd.

I think there are most likely many reasons for hunter numbers to be in decline of which antler management is one. It increases prices and places many restrictions. I did not kill a deer this year. I had dozens of bucks and doe inside 10 yds countless times. I hunt a 400ac low fence place in the hill country i have hunted since 1989. I am considered a family member of the land owner and despite only averaging 1 buck every other year in all that time the land owner is increasingly falling into the antler management trap many land owners are falling into and trying to place restrictions on my hunting. He does not hunt, his kids hunt on rare occasions but yet they think a low fence of 400ac could produce 6y/o 150's on a regular basis.It's not going to happen. I finally told them at the beginning of the season that i would not continue to pay if i was going to have to abide by restrictions i dont think are fair. I reminded them that the bucks have gotten much larger on average in the time i have been hunting there precisely because i have already been placing limits on myself. Now, try being a new guy looking for a lease and finding this same place. Talk to a land owner for the first time and he tells you that for 2k you can only shoot a 10 point and a doe. Most people with an average income would walk.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #21
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
What's a computer???
...........device, PDA, pad, etc!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #22
Thumper
Pope & Young

We were told by the x-perts the crossbow and high fence were the salvation of hunting.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #23
BrandonA
Pope & Young

I have several friends and know others that just gave up on hunting due to the increasing costs and restrictions. You are seeing more and more leases/landowners not allowing kids or allowing them only to come out one weekend. You also have ranches being broken up into small parcels and the new owners not hunting or leasing, especially in the Hillcountry. Its an accumulation of lot of little things that ad up to the big problem.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #24
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Huntable acreage is declining. Population is increasing, mostly in urban areas where most people have no connection to nature. The percentage of the population that hunts can't do anything but decline when those things are happening. Hopefully, hunters and conservation organizations will continue to expand their efforts to educate the mostly non-hunter public about wildlife conservation and hunting and how it is vital to the survival of all those cute critters out there in the woods and prairies. Recruiting more new hunters is a piece of the puzzle too, but we'll never be able to see a majority of the population own a hunting license. We need educated non-hunters who support hunting. We need to educate them before the anti-hunters fill them full of lies.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #25
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

AND...we would do well to stop arguing with and criticizing each other over all the different hunting methods and motivations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trophy hunting, meat hunting, rifle hunting, crossbow hunting, bow hunting, hunting over bait, hunting over a corn field, hunting in a high fence, hunting on National Forest free range land, or any other kind of hunting. Hunt the way you enjoy and let the other guy/gal do the same, even if they prefer hunting different critters in different places with different methods than you. All we're doing when we criticize each other over that kind of stuff is create the impression that at least some hunting is bad in the minds of all the non-hunters. We need to stop it.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #26
stykshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: S. Dakota, Nebraska & Texas

Quote:
What's a computer???
It's a good commercial
stykshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #27
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Huntable acreage is declining. Population is increasing, mostly in urban areas where most people have no connection to nature. The percentage of the population that hunts can't do anything but decline when those things are happening. Hopefully, hunters and conservation organizations will continue to expand their efforts to educate the mostly non-hunter public about wildlife conservation and hunting and how it is vital to the survival of all those cute critters out there in the woods and prairies. Recruiting more new hunters is a piece of the puzzle too, but we'll never be able to see a majority of the population own a hunting license. We need educated non-hunters who support hunting. We need to educate them before the anti-hunters fill them full of lies.
.........and that would be the FACT of the MATTER! 5% of Americans hold a hunting license!!! 5%-10% of Americans are ardently against hunting. 85%-90% are fence sitters that don't have a interest either way. They can be swayed either way in years to come......are we willing to send the RIGHT message?
Old 01-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #28
Landrover
Pope & Young

Thumbs up

Quote:
AND...we would do well to stop arguing with and criticizing each other over all the different hunting methods and motivations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trophy hunting, meat hunting, rifle hunting, crossbow hunting, bow hunting, hunting over bait, hunting over a corn field, hunting in a high fence, hunting on National Forest free range land, or any other kind of hunting. Hunt the way you enjoy and let the other guy/gal do the same, even if they prefer hunting different critters in different places with different methods than you. All we're doing when we criticize each other over that kind of stuff is create the impression that at least some hunting is bad in the minds of all the non-hunters. We need to stop it.
.....touche'....and those would be the fence sitters (90% non hunters) just looking for a reason to take a stance.... against......or for it!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #29
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Texansfan is throwing bait....someone take it!
Quote:
...........device, PDA, pad, etc!
Think about it
Hunting is dieing because of our society.
We no longer NEED to hunt for our food.
In my dad's time in the 30s they would go hunt squirrels and rabbits for fun to eat them.
Kids aren't eating that today.
Heck I won't even eat squirrel unless I was forced to.

Vast majority of populstion is being condensed into urban areas where they shun guns and hunting.
NYC
LA
Chicago

It's a generational thing.
How many that were born after 1973 were raised in a hunting household?
How many born after 1993?

When I was growing up I had access to a BB gun since I was double digits.

It's purely a societal shift

Kids don't care about hunting for food or want to deal with the gory details of field dressing a hog.

They want Wright's hickory smoked bacon already shrink wrapped

They want to spend Sunday mornings playing on their iPad in their backyard not freezing their tail off in a blind being extremely silent

We need to shift the priorities of the framework of hunting and fishing in order to save what's left of it
Old 01-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #30
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

As a guy who hunts public land -- with access to a small (25 acre) private tract with its own issues (lack of game) -- I still fork over almost $150 for Super Combo plus Annual Public Hunt permit, plus Duck stamp. Access is definitely an issue, along with severe restrictions on means and qualifying game (antler restrictions, doe only allowed during archery season). Overall, not too bad, but nothing like the access to affordable property and availability of game, growing up hunting with my Dad.

Will say that there was an encouraging point made in the article: if even one third of the active hunters today would recruit a new hunter, the problem would be solved almost immediately. Reckon that's where we at TBH come in.
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #31
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Whats a computer?
Old 01-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #32
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
As a guy who hunts public land -- with access to a small (25 acre) private tract with its own issues (lack of game) -- I still fork over almost $150 for Super Combo plus Annual Public Hunt permit, plus Duck stamp. Access is definitely an issue, along with severe restrictions on means and qualifying game (antler restrictions, doe only allowed during archery season). Overall, not too bad, but nothing like the access to affordable property and availability of game, growing up hunting with my Dad.

Will say that there was an encouraging point made in the article: if even one third of the active hunters today would recruit a new hunter, the problem would be solved almost immediately. Reckon that's where we at TBH come in.

I don't think this can be said enough
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #33
texansfan
Ten Point

One is a tool the other is a murder weapon

Old 01-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #34
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
One is a tool the other is a murder weapon

More bait!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #35
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
More bait!
No bait.
My pardner is my tool.
I've never killed anyone but those shears have been used as a murder weapon by someone I'm sure.

General public are horribly afraid of guns.
I was raised to respect guns.
We were taught guns were cool.
Nowadays guns are the devil.

It's conditioning.

99% of my family lives in LARGE metropolitan areas now and are far removed from "the old ways".

Heh.
Let me get off my soapbox.
But They need to bring back woodshop and 4H clubs to urban high schools.

Everything is so STEM HYPER-focused
I understand we need STEM but we can't neglect our foundation.
Read that "I want to become a dairy farmer" post in campfire.
Low Fence basically scared any young kid not born into that dairy farming caste from ever getting in dairy farming.
Cattle farming posts go the same way.

My kids can barely talkbut know how to work an iPhone better than I do (I'm a droid guy but wife is iPhone)
But I still have them in the woods as much as possible.
No way in h e double hockey sticks their mom would allow them to assist with a field dressing.
I pick my battles wisely.

The point I'm trying to make with all this blabbering I'd it comes down to EDUCATION
Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
No way in h e double hockey sticks their mom would allow them to assist with a field dressing.
I pick my battles wisely.
Because of their age? Or the act of field dressing?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #37
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
You'd think there would be a huge educational aspect of teaching children about field dressing, the similarity and differents of anatomy between animals and humans, how the body works, where food comes from and what all goes into putting meat into the freezer outside of shopping at HEB. Wait wasn't he saying something about education?
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #38
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
You'd think there would be a huge educational aspect of teaching children about field dressing, the similarity and differents of anatomy between animals and humans, how the body works, where food comes from and what all goes into putting meat into the freezer outside of shopping at HEB. Wait wasn't he saying something about education?
I took my father in law and my good buddy hunting several weeks ago and I popped a hog. Both of them have NEVER seen anything being field dressed in person. Well I was ready to hack that pig and get drunk (evening kill)....but they made me take it super slow...and were so amazed by seeing the full muscle quarters intact, actual fat under the skin and ever single organ they tried to hold and guess what it was. It was amazing for me to watch them in such awe having myself grown up with it my whole life.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #39
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

My opinion is that the decline in hunting is directly related to the decline in everything that takes effort or skill these days. How can you expect someone to go out in the woods when they can't even find the grocery store without a GPS? So many guys, especially the younger guys, don't want to put any real effort into it. They go on the internet and read what some "pro" says, and then they are pros too, and nothing can convince them otherwise. After a couple seasons of generally failing, the fad goes away and they quit hunting.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #40
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
More bait!
He baits quite often on threads around here. One could even say he has enough experience doing so that he could be considered a master baiter.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #41
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

The only “tool” around here is the one that keeps asking ,”what is a computer?”
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #42
Landrover
Pope & Young

Please don't derail this thread!!!! )-;

The article speaks to HOW to increase participation...........not why we have declining numbers. Numbers have fallen consistently for 35 years. In 15 more years we are done at this pace of decline!!! Maybe it don't matter to yall? Maybe it should not matter to me either. To each his own, let the chips fall where they may is a reasonable way to proceed......or not proceed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #43
100%TtId
Ten Point

The utterly insane and redundant system of laws regulating the activity intimidates a lot of new hunters away from the sport as well.

Ever explain to a noob what all they need to do and need to know before they ever step out in the field to keep from getting in trouble with the law? How many people hunt in more than one state? Keeping track of two or more sets of rules takes a big commitment.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #44
gdawg
Ten Point

Agreed and that is why I believe the anti's have gotten relatively quiet over the past 5 yrs or so - they know have won the battle and just have to wait for demographic transition to take place.
gdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #45
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Age of consent (who is to say a 4 year old really wants to sit through the gore of pig guts and blood?)

And hygiene (hogs are dirty and carry diseases)

Mommabear and I have discussed this and she's a city slicker through and through and would rather get our bacon from Central Market rather than have me set up the cold smoker in the backyard.
Although, she admits my bacon tastes so much better than anything store bought.

I come from the angle of this being a teachable moment for our girls to let them know exactly where bacon comes from and it is not made shrink wrapped like that.

I also want to be able to say 20 years from now when my oldest is in her surgery residency at Hopkins that what got her interested in surgery was field dressing hogs in East Texas and sticking her hands in a warm hog to pull the guts out.

Wife doesn't see it like that.
She'd rather our girls learn surgical techniques from clean cadavers in medical schools.
You can't control how those you love think (I think she'd vote for Oprah over trump too given the chance)

Another problem I have is my kids are scared at the mere sight of guns.
Never heard one go bang, but just the look of a long gun when I pull one out sends them running and screaming.

Tool vs Weapon.

Mommabear don't like guns neither.
Its just a uphill battle but I take small wins win I can.

City folk vs Country folk
Old 01-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #46
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
He baits quite often on threads around here. One could even say he has enough experience doing so that he could be considered a master baiter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
It's bait to get the green screen to think deeper than just what color looks better on a SxS.

The answer to this OP is in your face hiding in plain sight but nobody even noticed it.
So I pointed it out, we are in the "what is a computer?" age and y'all are wondering why hunting license numbers are declining.
Because kids these days don't want to get off their iPads in order to get in the outdoors and mainly that is their parents fault.
Lack of outdoors education.
Everything is so technology driven these days.

As I posted earlier, Tool vs Weapon.
My wife I'd one that would immediately say the shotgun is the weapon.
I'd take a moment to say, "it depends."

Please don't detail this with calling me a troll and please stay on topic of why hunting license numbers are falling.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #47
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
This is funny coming from a guy that added absolutely ZERO to this thread.
I mean ZERO.
You wasted bandwidth.

When Shane's post in here have mimicked mine.
Very similar thought patterns.
But yet I'm a troll?

Do you not agree with my theory of why hunting license numbers are declining?
If so, what are YOUR thoughts on the matter?
What do you think could be done to reverse this trend?
Have you personally witnessed any contributing factors as to the decline in numbers?
Ive given a firsthand account of why numbers could decrease from my very own household.
But you add nothing to the conversation and only chime in to be negative.

This is exactly what Shane addressed above.
Hunters tearing hunters down.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #48
100%TtId
Ten Point

texansfan:

1. You've been given repeated verbal beatdowns on numerous threads for the same reasons. You still aren't grasping what that is telling you.

2. Don't tell me or anyone else what we can or can't post here on a public forum. Not your job.

3. Proof-read your ****ing posts before hitting 'submit'. Wasting readers time by forcing them to mentally edit your gibberish and spelling errors relegates you to the kid's table for Thanksgiving. Or the filter.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #49
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Age of consent (who is to say a 4 year old really wants to sit through the gore of pig guts and blood?)

And hygiene (hogs are dirty and carry diseases)

Mommabear and I have discussed this and she's a city slicker through and through and would rather get our bacon from Central Market rather than have me set up the cold smoker in the backyard.

Although, she admits my bacon tastes so much better than anything store bought.

I come from the angle of this being a teachable moment for our girls to let them know exactly where bacon comes from and it is not made shrink wrapped like that.

I also want to be able to say 20 years from now when my oldest is in her surgery residency at Hopkins that what got her interested in surgery was field dressing hogs in East Texas and sticking her hands in a warm hog to pull the guts out.

Wife doesn't see it like that.

She'd rather our girls learn surgical techniques from clean cadavers in medical schools.

You can't control how those you love think (I think she'd vote for Oprah over trump too given the chance)

Another problem I have is my kids are scared at the mere sight of guns.

Never heard one go bang, but just the look of a long gun when I pull one out sends them running and screaming.

Tool vs Weapon.

Mommabear don't like guns neither.

Its just a uphill battle but I take small wins win I can.

City folk vs Country folk

You and I don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things but I have to give you props for trying to make your situation work. You definitely have an uphill battle on your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #50
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
texansfan:

1. You've been given repeated verbal beatdowns on numerous threads for the same reasons. You still aren't grasping what that is telling you.

2. Don't tell me or anyone else what we can or can't post here on a public forum. Not your job.

3. Proof-read your ****ing posts before hitting 'submit'. Wasting readers time by forcing them to mentally edit your gibberish and spelling errors relegates you to the kid's table for Thanksgiving. Or the filter.

Normally I would agree but he has contributed positively to this thread and hopefully made people think.

It’s pretty sad how much we all are almost slaves to technology and miss some things that really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top