Destruction-proof license plate mount for trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destruction-proof license plate mount for trailer

I bet I've ripped off or bent into a taco shell a dozen trailer license plates over the last 5 years. I don't care for them mounted on the fenders, and needed/wanted to be 100% legal with the new trailer re-model so it would pass inspection and I could avoid any tickets on the 400 mile haul back and forth to the deer lease. We go through some ravines and low water crossings with this rig and it is rough on the license plates. Here was my solution:

Took a piece of of rubber (old stall mat from TSC I had already cut some pieces off of) and cut it to size.
    Drilled holes to bolt on license plate as well as holes to mount to trailer. secured it to trailer with some Dynagrip construction adhesive and some stainless strap and bolts. The thick rubber is stiff enough to not blow in the wind, but should give plenty when hit by rocks or brush. We shall see.
    This would work good for boat trailers as well....

Good idea, should hold up for a long time!

Comment

That's a good idea! If it still bends the plate, you might try cutting a piece of plate steel the size of your license plate to reinforce it. Looks like pretty stout rubber, so you probably won't need it though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Idea. I did the same with some old conveyor belt material

Comment

Why not just screw it to the fender?

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
            Why not just screw it to the fender?
            I don't care for them on the fender, mainly because I don't like drilling holes in the fender because of future rust and running electrical in the fender well for the LP light.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great idea. I bet that works out well for ya. I might have to do something similar myself.

Comment

I'll put your idea to the test, we've got some hands can tear up any and every Part on any trailer, so as you can imagine license plates and things that hold them don't stand a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                      I'll put your idea to the test, we've got some hands can tear up any and every Part on any trailer, so as you can imagine license plates and things that hold them don't stand a chance.

Sounds good. Let me know how it works for ya.

Comment

I saw the title and envisioned a frame built from 12" x #35 I-beam.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          I saw the title and envisioned a frame built from 12" x #35 I-beam.

That would probably work too, but I’d hate to High center on my LP bracket! [emoji12]

Comment

You got a pretty good idea there though. Should act like a heavy duty mud flap.

Comment

Perfect! I have been trying to come up with way to make one stay in place but fold on low crossings etc. I will be making 3 of these for my trailers. Thanks for sharing the idea

Comment

Working...
                              X