Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 PM   #2401
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
When you get it in maybe we can get together for me to take a live look at it. Our farm is near Tenaha & Timpson so weíre up that way quite often.
Good deal, just send me a PM or give me a shout ahead of town and we can set something up. Thanks!
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #2402
BobbyJoe
Six Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Do any of y'all have experience with the Sightmark Night Raider? Can't seem to find much info online about them. Looking into a UNV20ir unit as well. Thanks for any input.
BobbyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #2403
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

About the farthest I can see/shoot on our place is 300-350 yards and that's pushing it. It would more likely be 150-200 yards or less. I'd like to be able to video and would occasionally have someone with me so their ability to see what I see would be nice. I'd primarily be using this for hogs along with some coyotes and bobcats in Deep East Texas. I plan to use NV on a 5.56 but could get a new upper at some point if I decide that is necessary. I'm pretty tech savy. If the budget is $4k for the night vision and mounting, what would you get?
Lip is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #2404
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX

Quote:
About the farthest I can see/shoot on our place is 300-350 yards and that's pushing it. It would more likely be 150-200 yards or less. I'd like to be able to video and would occasionally have someone with me so their ability to see what I see would be nice. I'd primarily be using this for hogs along with some coyotes and bobcats in Deep East Texas. I plan to use NV on a 5.56 but could get a new upper at some point if I decide that is necessary. I'm pretty tech savy. If the budget is $4k for the night vision and mounting, what would you get?

Buy an atn x-sight2 for $550 and save the rest. feeder is at 210 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justindiehl7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #2405
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindiehl7 View Post
Buy an atn x-sight2 for $550 and save the rest. feeder is at 210 yards

Weíre about 60-70% wooded. Iím thinking thermal work better to pick out animals in those areas but not really sure.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #2406
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Weíre about 60-70% wooded. Iím thinking thermal work better to pick out animals in those areas but not really sure.

Iím in Woodville and we are about 75% wooded. You can see the reflection in their eyes. Just offering my thoughts that a 4K dollar thermal isnít quite a need lol!

Old 01-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #2407
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'd buy a Pulsar Trail. I have the XQ38 and its freakin awesome.

I recently went from night vision to thermal and thermal is definitely where its at.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #2408
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
I'd buy a Pulsar Trail. I have the XQ38 and its freakin awesome.

I recently went from night vision to thermal and thermal is definitely where its at.

Iíve been looking at the XQís and wondering for my situation if the 50 is $500 better than the 38 and if the 38 is $500 better than the 30. Do you use the 38 day and night?

Old 01-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #2409
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Iíve been looking at the XQís and wondering for my situation if the 50 is $500 better than the 38 and if the 38 is $500 better than the 30. Do you use the 38 day and night?

You can use any thermal day or night. But you won't be able to tell what a buck is unless he is in velvet. But for pig or coyote hunting you can use anytime to ID them.

I would not go below a 38
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #2410
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iím in Woodville and we are about 75% wooded. You can see the reflection in their eyes. Just offering my thoughts that a 4K dollar thermal isnít quite a need lol!

a NV is not a NEED either

But if WANT something, I personally will save for a good one.

I have used your scope and thermals of all grades
Old 01-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #2411
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
a NV is not a NEED either

But if WANT something, I personally will save for a good one.

I have used your scope and thermals of all grades

Pigs go nocturnal towards the end of deer season so to hunt them effectively, I NEED a night vision. If he was in the market for anything I gave him MY opinion of what he could do for less.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #2412
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Pigs go nocturnal towards the end of deer season so to hunt them effectively, I NEED a night vision. If he was in the market for anything I gave him MY opinion of what he could do for less.

You need NV... I NEED thermal. LOL

Well I have one now and want to buy a scanner at some point now.

You won't know real night hunting IMO until you have a thermal or very nice NV
Old 01-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #2413
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
You need NV... I NEED thermal. LOL

Well I have one now and want to buy a scanner at some point now.

You won't know real night hunting IMO until you have a thermal or very nice NV

Sounds like you oughta let me borrow yours lmao Iíd like to try out some high in stuff in an open field with some acreage. Iím limited to narrow lanes about 200 yards long right now!

Old 01-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #2414
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

Quote:
Sounds like you oughta let me borrow yours lmao Iíd like to try out some high in stuff in an open field with some acreage. Iím limited to narrow lanes about 200 yards long right now!

Be prepared to buy some after you try it..I started with digital NV. Now I have two 640 armasight Zeus thermals, one being the 75mm HD (amazing detail) and a gen 3 alpha NV clip on. Itís like NFA items..
keatonskidmore is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #2415
Lip
Ten Point

I was going to start with NV but from everything I read, I decided to skip a step and start with thermal.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #2416
HansETX
Spike

Hunt In: Van Zandt County
Default The New "Budget" Flir Thermal-PTS233

So I've had a chance to use the new Flir ThermoSight Pro PTS 233 for the past 2 weeks, I've had several hours of glass time with this scope and I feel like I know it well enough to give my honest/unbiased opinion. I hunted with it every night... I spotted, scanned, shot, and tested everything on this unit that I could think of. This is the newest "budget" thermal from Flir in quite a while, coming in at a very buyer friendly price at around $2,200. In the review video you'll see my likes/dislikes... you'll see actual video through the scope and some of the different picture modes, preset enhancement modes, and all of the shooting reticle choices. If you're looking at getting into thermal hunting for the first time, if $2,200 is your max budget, or if your looking to add an additional thermal scope to your collection... the PTS233 is worth looking at and considering. If you have any questions I'll give you a very unbiased answer...

https://youtu.be/wgHgEHBSd1o

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
HansETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #2417
deerdynasty
Four Point

I agree. much clearer in person...
deerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #2418
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansETX View Post
So I've had a chance to use the new Flir ThermoSight Pro PTS 233 for the past 2 weeks, I've had several hours of glass time with this scope and I feel like I know it well enough to give my honest/unbiased opinion. I hunted with it every night... I spotted, scanned, shot, and tested everything on this unit that I could think of. This is the newest "budget" thermal from Flir in quite a while, coming in at a very buyer friendly price at around $2,200. In the review video you'll see my likes/dislikes... you'll see actual video through the scope and some of the different picture modes, preset enhancement modes, and all of the shooting reticle choices. If you're looking at getting into thermal hunting for the first time, if $2,200 is your max budget, or if your looking to add an additional thermal scope to your collection... the PTS233 is worth looking at and considering. If you have any questions I'll give you a very unbiased answer...

https://youtu.be/wgHgEHBSd1o

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

So how would you say it stacks up against the Pulsar RXQ30V?

RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #2419
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
I was going to start with NV but from everything I read, I decided to skip a step and start with thermal.
I can totally see how you might feel that way after reading this thread, and if your budget supports it then go for it.

Just to bring a little balance to this thread for anyone else: I wanted to point out what a massive difference digital NV makes compared to not having digital NV, and how effective they are at normal ranges.

My sightmark 4.6 is hands down the best $500 I ever spent on hunting. I've killed two dozen pigs and countless predators that I simply would not have seen or gotten if not for that scope. There is no other tool I can say that about: where I got so many because I had it, and would not have gotten them if I didn't.

At 150 yds or closer, zero moon necessary with a good external IR light, it's a chip shot to make neck or head shots on pigs. You can see them plain as day.

I'm excited to upgrade to a 640 thermal for much longer shots and even better performance. But if anyone is reading this thread thinking that digital NV is not an incredible value and maybe the best bang for the buck they'll ever spend, I would like to set that record straight.
Balcones_Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #2420
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
I can totally see how you might feel that way after reading this thread, and if your budget supports it then go for it.

Just to bring a little balance to this thread for anyone else: I wanted to point out what a massive difference digital NV makes compared to not having digital NV, and how effective they are at normal ranges.

My sightmark 4.6 is hands down the best $500 I ever spent on hunting. I've killed two dozen pigs and countless predators that I simply would not have seen or gotten if not for that scope. There is no other tool I can say that about: where I got so many because I had it, and would not have gotten them if I didn't.

At 150 yds or closer, zero moon necessary with a good external IR light, it's a chip shot to make neck or head shots on pigs. You can see them plain as day.

I'm excited to upgrade to a 640 thermal for much longer shots and even better performance. But if anyone is reading this thread thinking that digital NV is not an incredible value and maybe the best bang for the buck they'll ever spend, I would like to set that record straight.

No doubt, if I couldnít afford thermal I would be buying an NV scope after watching all of the videos of them. Iím still tempted to buy one to use until my thermal comes in and the sell it. Thinking it might be worth it for a couple extra months of night hunting hogs.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #2421
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post

The RXQ30V has 30% more pixels, which translates to a better image and farther detection range, and a tiny bit more magnification. The green display on the RXQ looks fantastic in person and is really easy on your eyes (on youtube it looks like garbage IMO). The Flir has onboard recording, which is very nice and simple to use. They're both great scopes.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #2422
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
No doubt, if I couldnít afford thermal I would be buying an NV scope after watching all of the videos of them. Iím still tempted to buy one to use until my thermal comes in and the sell it. Thinking it might be worth it for a couple extra months of night hunting hogs.

I have a Pulsar Apex XQ38LRF on order now. I ordered a Pulsar Challenger NV that can mount behind a red dot or be handheld. I figure more than anything else Iíll use it watching stuff in the morning while sitting in the blind waiting on the sun to come up or walking in to the blind in the morning.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #2423
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
The RXQ30V has 30% more pixels, which translates to a better image and farther detection range, and a tiny bit more magnification. The green display on the RXQ looks fantastic in person and is really easy on your eyes (on youtube it looks like garbage IMO). The Flir has onboard recording, which is very nice and simple to use. They're both great scopes.

Thanks. Iím kicking around the idea of a second thermal.......my first one hasnít even come in yet.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #2424
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
I have a Pulsar Apex XQ38LRF on order now. I ordered a Pulsar Challenger NV that can mount behind a red dot or be handheld. I figure more than anything else Iíll use it watching stuff in the morning while sitting in the blind waiting on the sun to come up or walking in to the blind in the morning.

Appears to be several challengers? Which one are you getting?

Old 02-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #2425
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Appears to be several challengers? Which one are you getting?

The base level. Pulsar Challenger GS 1+.

It will work for what Iím wanting it for.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #2426
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Are these types of scopes only compatible with AR-type rifles or can they be used with a bolt-action too? I’m assuming it would need a picatinny style scope rail?
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #2427
coachwhip
Eight Point

I had some time over the weekend to play with and adjust the threshold settings to get better results from the recoil activated recording. I hope this makes it a little more user friendly to new PTS233 owners.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Sw8P9YiZM
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #2428
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Are these types of scopes only compatible with AR-type rifles or can they be used with a bolt-action too? Iím assuming it would need a picatinny style scope rail?
All Pulsar scopes come with a mount that was actually designed for bolt guns. It works great for ARs as well though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhip View Post
I had some time over the weekend to play with and adjust the threshold settings to get better results from the recoil activated recording. I hope this makes it a little more user friendly to new PTS233 owners.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Sw8P9YiZM
You did a great job with that video. Is that tannerite at the end?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #2429
coachwhip
Eight Point

Thanks 35, no just a gallon jug of hot water, but looks impressive!
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #2430
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
35Rem did a great job of answering this question. At the end of the day, having used both extensively, I tell my customers this..... If you want/need to record video you buy the PTS233. If you don't need/want to record video, you buy the RXQ30V. If you don't like something about one of the scopes or you like a certain feature of one, you buy it. I don't mean to sound flippant about it because I know it's a lot of money to spend but in reality the scopes are extremely similar.

The RXQ30V is going to win by a slight amount on image quality for the reason that 35Rem mentioned. It also has picture in picture which is a great feature. Some people don't like the green tint but a lot of users actually prefer it.

The PTS233 has the internal video recording, so it clearly wins that race. It also has the different color palettes that some users go nuts over and it also has an aqua blue reticle color option that I love.

Again, it really boils down to video recording. I can't see a compelling reason to spend $300 more on the PTS233 and give up a slight amount of image quality if you don't care about the video.

Just my 2 cents, both are super optics for the money and you won't be disappointed with either one.

- Jason
Old 02-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #2431
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
FYI, unless you are buying the Apex XQ38LRF second hand, you won't be getting it any time soon. They were discontinued several months ago. There is however, going to be a new Trail XQ38LRF coming out in a few months. They were announced at SHOT Show a couple weeks ago but they aren't expected to ship for a couple more months. Not trying to get into your business, I just thought I'd throw that info out there.

- Jason
Old 02-04-2018, 11:50 PM   #2432
SC-Texas
Ten Point

#diepiggydie It's the first Hog hunt of 2018. Big Boar down with a 165gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tip to the head in Navarro County w/ the POF P-308, Trijicon Snipe-IR and Dead Air Sandman L w/ Rifles Only Had Suppressor Cover. TNVC PVS-14 on a Wilcox mount and A Team Wendy ExFil helmet. Otte Gear for staying warm and dry. Third Coast Thermal provided the Snipe-IR.

Support our vendors on TBH. Jason at Outdoor Legacy has these if you have questions.
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #2433
gingib
Pope & Young

I run my REAP all the way to the back of my rail..Any reasons you mount it so much farther forward?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #2434
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
I run my REAP all the way to the back of my rail..Any reasons you mount it so much farther forward?
This is a Snipe-IR. It has a different ocular lens setup to allow it to function as a clip-on in front of a day optic

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #2435
35remington
Pope & Young

Only Sean would post a rainbow picture in the NV Hunting thread.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #2436
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Only Sean would post a rainbow picture in the NV Hunting thread.
Lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #2437
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
Support our vendors on TBH. Jason at Outdoor Legacy has these if you have questions.

Thanks Sean. Hey I don't think you got a good shot on this one. Better shoot him again!

Great looking setup. I need to show my wife the picture of all your gear. She thinks I'm the only one who needs that much stuff to go hunting.lol

- Jason
Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #2438
HansETX
Spike

Hunt In: Van Zandt County
Default Hog Drops With The New Flir PTS233

I've been using the new Flir Thermosight Pro PTS233 for the last 3 weeks now. Last week I posted a functionality review in this thread. In this video you'll get to see 3 different hog hunts with it and get to see it in action. Next week I'll post more. Some of you have asked about this scope because it's been pretty popular, mostly because of the price point. Please let me know if you have any questions about the scope. In the video, I have the scope mounted on a 223 using 62 grain ammo. There has been some feedback on how it performs on a .308 and I'm working on that..

Also, I posted a video 2 weeks ago of hog damage in my front yard. I haven't caught any hogs in my yard since, but all of the hogs taken in this video were dropped less than a hundred yards from my front door. I'm very sure that these are from the same group that wrecked my yard...

https://youtu.be/pfGKYbvxPAU
HansETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #2439
Lip
Ten Point

Iím really needing some kind of night hunting scope soon. I havenít seen the front yard behind the camera yet so I can only imagine the damage they did this weekend.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #2440
35remington
Pope & Young

*****mmmm ^^ Where is that?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #2441
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
*****mmmm ^^ Where is that?

Tenaha, TX.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #2442
gingib
Pope & Young

Yes you do from the pics posted above!

That PTS233 is GOOD only if you consider the price. Buddy who is a Pulsar rep told me the are junk and only uses his REAP now. Funny how these pulsar guys post great reviews then use other products
Old 02-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #2443
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
Yes you do from the pics posted above!

That PTS233 is GOOD only if you consider the price. Buddy who is a Pulsar rep told me the are junk and only uses his REAP now. Funny how these pulsar guys post great reviews then use other products
I wouldnít call the pulsars junk by any means. No doubt the Reap mk3 is superior though.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #2444
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
Iím really needing some kind of night hunting scope soon. I havenít seen the front yard behind the camera yet so I can only imagine the damage they did this weekend.

Yep. Look on the bright side. All ready for the spring food plots...
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 PM   #2445
Lip
Ten Point

Default Night Vision hunting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Yep. Look on the bright side. All ready for the spring food plots...

Not exactly. It will take hours with a disc to smooth this out. I need to find one of those $300 Photon XTís to use until my Photon comes in.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #2446
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Not exactly. It will take hours with a disc to smooth this out. I need to find one of those $300 Photon XTís to use until my Photon comes in.
Why not a sniper hawg lite mounted to your scope?

https://youtu.be/Lq1qQBoerxM
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #2447
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
I wouldnít call the pulsars junk by any means. No doubt the Reap mk3 is superior though.
Well he means junk when your talking about people like us who hunt alot.

In the scheme of thermal a PTS is lower end compared to the previously mentioned scopes that are $6500-8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
Why not a sniper hawg lite mounted to your scope?

https://youtu.be/Lq1qQBoerxM
because you will only kill 1 hog from a group like that. Maybe 2 if your lucky. Used them for years prior to thermal
Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #2448
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Buddy who is a Pulsar rep told me the are junk and only uses his REAP now. Funny how these pulsar guys post great reviews then use other products
Steve Neece?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #2449
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Steve Neece?
no. Buddy of mine who lives near Dallas.

I don't know how the "reps/pro staff" and all that work. Alot of people say they are prostaff and reps and such.

Last edited by gingib; 02-14-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #2450
Lip
Ten Point

What shooting sticks does everyone recommend when they are stalking?