Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #51
GrapeApe
Eight Point

Hunt In: Big Sandy Unit, SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
You will get as many opinions on a safe as if you asked what is your favorite caliber?

My advice...DON'T PUT IT IN THE GARAGE!!
Any specific reasons why?
GrapeApe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #52
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

Because it's easier to steal
tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #53
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
Any specific reasons why?
Main reason for me... MOISTURE. My safe would have to be 1/2 full of dehumidifier bars to keep my guns dry, if I had it in the garage. Inside a house has far less humidity and temperature swings. No way I want to spend 2-3k on a safe, stick 10-20k worth of guns and valuables in it and find all my stuff rusted shut because of this darn Texas humidity / crazy weather swings.

Also easier access for thieves if you leave it in the garage. A lot easier...
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #54
tbeak
Ten Point

I'd agree with the moisture part. I'm in Colorado so I got much less here than back at home in Tomball.

I'm putting a "Do Not Steal" sign on mine so I think that'll deter most people. Maybe I'll put a "Caution Booby Trapped" sign on there
Old 02-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #55
texasnavy05
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, TX

Im in the market. Currently leaning toward superior/champion. My thoughts are to get something to keep a "smash and grab" thief out and keep locked up from my young children. But, I realize that a fire or serious burglar would likely be a 100% loss, so for me, the main protection will be carrying enough insurance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
texasnavy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 06:41 AM   #56
aggieman08
Eight Point

Every big purchase I make tends to turn into a research project. Selecting a gun safe was no exception and here are a few things I learned after researching about 10 or so manufacturers:

1. Cheap safes are manufactured in China with crap Chinese steel (many of the big name US brands have several of their cheap safes manufactured in China)
2. Cheap and gun safe should not go in the same sentence as you are basically telling someone where all of your valuable items are
3. The door and walls are definitely not solid
4. Buy American made with American steel
5. Most importantly, call the manufacturer and ask them right questions

I narrowed my selection to Strudy Safes and the Amsec BF series safes. Each have their own unique features but the Amsec win because the depth allowed me to fit the safe in a closet.

Lastly, if you can find what you are looking for, used gun safes are considerable less expensive than new ones.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #57
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
You can get a nice Winchester (52 gun) safe in that price point.
anybody have experience with these Winchesters? Wife liked the fatboy jr at cabelas. haven't been by, but was looking for cannon safe online and they have what appears to be a nice one at tractor supply and then found a guy that sells all types of Winchesters for pretty reasonable prices. They look nice but the guy lives in Garland and I hate going through Dallas, so im not sure I want to drive unless it is a good deal
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #58
Bowanta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking in Texas and Franklin County (Unit 11), Kansas

I picked up a Cannon 64 Gun Safe this year and so far so good. It is my first one and like others stated, pay for the delivery. Moving a 580 lbs safe is NO Easy Task...
My only issue with it is the shelving they have inside. It is not too high of quality, so that is something I will be altering and replacing. Other than that, I like it. Price was good as well...
Bowanta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #59
Brett A
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch and Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
anybody have experience with these Winchesters? Wife liked the fatboy jr at cabelas. haven't been by, but was looking for cannon safe online and they have what appears to be a nice one at tractor supply and then found a guy that sells all types of Winchesters for pretty reasonable prices. They look nice but the guy lives in Garland and I hate going through Dallas, so im not sure I want to drive unless it is a good deal
I have had one for about three years now. I compared the features with the liberty and it was as good or better in most ratings. (fire, number of bolts, size of bolts...)
I think I got mine through the same guy. Ordered it by phone. (I had seen one at a gun show, so I knew what I was getting)
Brett A
Brett A is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #60
tbeak
Ten Point

Think I found a deal. This guy on FB is selling his liberty Lincoln 50 for pretty cheap. Was just talking to my wife this morning about buying a 35 or 50 gun. Her reply was don't get the 35 you know you're gonna keep buying guns. Well couldn't argue with that. Liberty says the warranty transfers over to me.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #61
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeak View Post
Think I found a deal. This guy on FB is selling his liberty Lincoln 50 for pretty cheap. Was just talking to my wife this morning about buying a 35 or 50 gun. Her reply was don't get the 35 you know you're gonna keep buying guns. Well couldn't argue with that. Liberty says the warranty transfers over to me.
I think this is the one I am going to go with. Really thought I was going with the fatboy jr but they have this safe the cabelas version on sale for 1499 right now, installed outlet and light kit etc . bigger than I wanted for where it is going but by the time I buy and outlet kit, light and dehumidifier on the fatboy jr or 30 gun its the same price. Only downside I see is it weighs considerably more so getting it in is going to be a chore. weighs about 300lbs more than the one me and my brother moved in for my dad and we aren't small fellas
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #62
quackaholic1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass county

The only safe I could find that the door would not move at when locked is the Security Products and top of the line Canons I figured if the door would move at all it could not be air tight therefore it would let smoke in. I went with the Security Products safe with a 90 degree double key
quackaholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #63
Ryan-in-SA1
Spike

Hunt In: Low Fence, near Uvalde

When I got mine, I got the smaller one from Costco for a few reasons:

1. I have a pier and beam house, and the larger gun safes are crazy heavy, don't want to f up my foundation (or, for that matter, my hardwood floor) - so if you're going to get one of the big heavy massive ones, be sure you're putting it on concrete, as tile or hardwood probably won't take kindly to a few years.

2. the smaller ones can fit in a locked closet. To my mind, this is an added layer of security because the gun safe isn't just sitting out in the open being obviously full of valuable guns. Someone trying to thieve me would have to not only move the safe or open the safe, but also know or guess that the safe was in that particular closet and unlock that particular closet.

(Sounds like you want to put it in the garage - my only thought is that that's a LOT easier to get a truck close to, so be sure that you're sure about putting it there. I've heard stories of safes being jacked from garages.)

3. I figured I can get the big heavy one ALSO down the way a little bit. There's nothing wrong with having two safes.

Oh. And also, I was originally, like you, dead set against the electronic locks and wanted an old school rotary lock. You might re-think that and be sure. The new electronic locks are pretty good, and way faster to get in safe for emergency...

Last edited by Ryan-in-SA1; 02-15-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Ryan-in-SA1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top