Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 02-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #1251
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Started shooting a black eagle carnivore with a total of 192 grains of weight in the front. I think my FOC is around 16%. I completely blew through a pig and a deer this year. The pig was shot with a slick trick viper and the deer was shot with a two blade Magnus stinger.

I really like this setup, but the 192 grains is made up with a 42 grain insert and a 50 grain weight with a 100 grain head. I have had problems with the weight unscrewing and rattling around. I want to switch to just the 42 grain insert and a 150 grain head to get rid of the issue with rattling.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #1252
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
Started shooting a black eagle carnivore with a total of 192 grains of weight in the front. I think my FOC is around 16%. I completely blew through a pig and a deer this year. The pig was shot with a slick trick viper and the deer was shot with a two blade Magnus stinger.

I really like this setup, but the 192 grains is made up with a 42 grain insert and a 50 grain weight with a 100 grain head. I have had problems with the weight unscrewing and rattling around. I want to switch to just the 42 grain insert and a 150 grain head to get rid of the issue with rattling.
The weight screws into the back of the insert similar to a Gold Tip arrow?
Did you try Loctite?
I'm running 50 grains on my regular setup and 30? on my test arrows. I've been using them 3 years(?) now... only lost one weight. It came out the nock when I shot. Sounded like a .22 going off. Luckily I was at the bow shop and they have the long allen wrench to put it back in.

I've been thinking of dropping to a 100 grain head myself and adding weight behind the insert to make up the difference, similar to what you run.
Simply so IF I need to get some Broadheads I can get them quickly and easily. I haven't found many places that carry the 125 grain Magnus Stingers, my preferred head, for now.
let alone the 190 grian landshark or maybe its the tree shark....
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #1253
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
The weight screws into the back of the insert similar to a Gold Tip arrow?
Did you try Loctite?
I'm running 50 grains on my regular setup and 30? on my test arrows. I've been using them 3 years(?) now... only lost one weight. It came out the nock when I shot. Sounded like a .22 going off. Luckily I was at the bow shop and they have the long allen wrench to put it back in.

I've been thinking of dropping to a 100 grain head myself and adding weight behind the insert to make up the difference, similar to what you run.
Simply so IF I need to get some Broadheads I can get them quickly and easily. I haven't found many places that carry the 125 grain Magnus Stingers, my preferred head, for now.
let alone the 190 grian landshark or maybe its the tree shark....
Yea it screws into the back of insert. I have a weird thing about eliminating moving parts or variables, so Id rather spend more money on BHs and not worry about the inserts. It just feels simpler, and simple is key to me
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #1254
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

I have used both the Gold Tip and Black Eagle rear insert weights and use the Blue Loctite and have never had one rattle loose, ever and I have been doing this rear insert weights for years
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #1255
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttechhunter View Post
This thread makes me feel like my 420 grain 12% FOC arrows I just built are in adequate!
They arent. I shoot a 350gr arrow with 11pct FOC...I lace everything I shoot
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top