Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #1701
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nicholls View Post
Just to update y'all, today has been the best she's felt yet. Still not good but not as miserable as she's been. It's a long slow recovery but there's nothing but good ahead.
That's good news. Seems like things are moving in the right direction for y'all.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #1702
rageatvlawson
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiuswade View Post
Ok I didn't mean to cause such a quagmire over " orange"
But let me shed some light on matter
1). I always were orange while in hunting the Sam. But since it was archery season (Not required), as I was I the archery only area....no guns allowed. But still wear orange cap walking out/in.
2) I'm lifetime Hunting/fishing license holder-wont do anything to mess that up.
3). For the gopro vid, took off cap so the hunting aspect shows gear use.
4). As per TPWD rules (note word firearm use):Notice:*to archery hunters and recreational users: You must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit...... archery only area remember....no firearms allowed.
5). Yes I know it's squirrel season, but not in archery only area.
But thanks to all my fellow hunters being aware and voicing their pov, this is what I help defend for us all....as USMC
Let's all be safe this season.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
So you say youd do nothing to mess up your lifetime license but post pic of 3 bucks taken in the Sam in a single year? And yes you still have to wear orange even in bow season and even in the bow only area. **sorry Ive been gone for couple months from here and just spent morning catching up lol**
rageatvlawson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 01:07 AM   #1703
Harry
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageatvlawson View Post
So you say youd do nothing to mess up your lifetime license but post pic of 3 bucks taken in the Sam in a single year? And yes you still have to wear orange even in bow season and even in the bow only area. **sorry Ive been gone for couple months from here and just spent morning catching up lol**
Lol it got exciting this year
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #1704
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF, and anywhere you want to take me ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageatvlawson View Post
Orange is required all year in the entire area of the SHNF, including the archery only area.

I don't know this person, but it seems he posted three bucks and claimed that all three were shot in the SHNF. That's no good. I know several people were saying they were going to contact the GW.
Since he hasn't responded since that time, my guess is that he did get a visit.

I try every year to inform people about the rules in the Sam, most don't listen.

I hope we were mistaken and he didn't end up with a ticket.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
huntinfool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #1705
Harry
Ten Point

^^^Hey play stupid games win stupid prizes ^^^
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #1706
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool View Post
Orange is required all year in the entire area of the SHNF, including the archery only area.

I don't know this person, but it seems he posted three bucks and claimed that all three were shot in the SHNF. That's no good. I know several people were saying they were going to contact the GW.

I try every year to inform people about the rules in the Sam, most don't listen.

You're too nice.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #1707
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Thanks to TMiddleton, I'm the proud owner of a new rig.
ILF recurve. I've got a lot of learning to do, but I'm excited about the new adventures.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #1708
Harry
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks to TMiddleton, I'm the proud owner of a new rig.
ILF recurve. I've got a lot of learning to do, but I'm excited about the new adventures.

Looks like it's gonna be fun!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #1709
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Looks like it's gonna be fun!!!!!!!
I look at it like this. Everything I've already done....I can now do again...but with the recurve!;

Old 02-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #1710
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF (unless you pay for my lease )

Quote:
I look at it like this. Everything I've already done....I can now do again...but with the recurve!;

I've always thought about winging it with a recurve, but I need to get better with the old compound first after I get it fixed

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
ChiefWhackABuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #1711
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
I've always thought about winging it with a recurve, but I need to get better with the old compound first after I get it fixed

Sounds like a plan.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #1712
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

So random question, when would be a good time to hit the forest to scout out spots for next season? I was thinking of heading out this weekend but wasn't sure if it was too early.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #1713
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Quote:
So random question, when would be a good time to hit the forest to scout out spots for next season? I was thinking of heading out this weekend but wasn't sure if it was too early.

Never too early, never too late.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #1714
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:

Go now before green-up. You can see trails easier, and you can also see rubs through the canopy. Its also not 100 degrees outside either.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #1715
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Go now before green-up. You can see trails easier, and you can also see rubs through the canopy. Its also not 100 degrees outside either.
That's what I figured. Want to get an idea of the deer in the area before the bucks drop their antlers. Hard to tell if they'll be worth hunting next season by the holes in their heads

Old 02-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #1716
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Just remember, the sign you're finding now is what they are doing now, not during the season. Their patterns change.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #1717
Harry
Ten Point

Can someone school me on squirrel hunting in the Sam, what are do's and don'ts
Old 02-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #1718
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

Nice bow hf, what does it cost to have that built if you don't mind me asking?
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #1719
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

Quote:
What I've noticed, at least where I hunt them, one shot goes off and they make for the hills so you gotta get on em quick or have dogs to tree them. Also, walking around it's crazy tough to have luck with the bushytails in the Sam from what I've encountered. I go in just like I'm deer hunting, sit there and bust the squirrels when they come out. Not much else to it IMHO.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #1720
huntinfool
Pope & Young

You just buy them online. Piece them together. I've seen risers and limbs go for reasonable amounts and crazy amounts. I don't know the difference, so I really couldn't tell you.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #1721
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

Nice bow Damian.
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #1722
Harry
Ten Point

Quote:
What I've noticed, at least where I hunt them, one shot goes off and they make for the hills so you gotta get on em quick or have dogs to tree them. Also, walking around it's crazy tough to have luck with the bushytails in the Sam from what I've encountered. I go in just like I'm deer hunting, sit there and bust the squirrels when they come out. Not much else to it IMHO.

Thinking bout going in the near future
Old 02-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #1723
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

Quote:
Thinking bout going in the near future
Nice, just find ya a creek bed with some openings and oak flats and they'll be there

Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #1724
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Quote:
I have been hunting them about once a month now since Sept. There are no leaves on the trees, so they see you from a mile away and they run. I haven't been within 100 yards of one in over a month.

Personally, I am waiting for the trees to bud out a little bit before I head back. Just crazy how far off they will spook.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #1725
tiberiuswade
Four Point

Quote:

Ok hope everyone had a great sage year. I've been traveling about hunting and haven't looked here. I see many got their undies in knot over my hunts. Let me clear up things since people read into things their way. Of those pic i posted of my deer, only one from Sam this year....the other one was from Sam the previous year (this was to show and hope to inspire not to give up-as people were post bad outings...change up game plan and things work out) with way weather had been it was ruff, but never quit. In that pic of me and deer without orange on, they should look at lower left at base of tree (see orange on ground! Btw HE was one who took that pic for me), and yes orange has to be worn during hunting season as squirrel season in....i do. The GW and talk about how it was long ago when that wasnt case in archery (so that stuck in my mind). My third deer wasn't in the Sam (never claimed to take them all in Sam), posted them here as reminder that good hunting can still be had, even way weather has been and no one having luck (posted was meant to be a encouraging). Now here is a pic of my last two hunt of season.... I'm already scouting for next season-i do this year round at times via trail cameras and getting out in woods scouting. I don't wait until right before season to do..shed hunt, moving stands and see what made it. So don't assume.....
I travel when I hunt each year and not just hunt the Sam alone. Maybe people who assume I took 3 in Sam, that is only place they go? 1deer Sam, surrounding walker/Montgomery county 2deer
So guess they assume I took my last few in Sam....
Next season have plans New Mexico, Arizona, Arkansas, Texas and final Illinois

tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #1726
tiberiuswade
Four Point

Quote:

Never too early to hit woods for next season, things change and if you see what is going on early, mid and just before. This will help with hunts. I've put out trail cams already

tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #1727
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiuswade View Post
Ok hope everyone had a great sage year. I've been traveling about hunting and haven't looked here. I see many got their undies in knot over my hunts. Let me clear up things since people read into things their way. Of those pic i posted of my deer, only one from Sam this year....the other one was from Sam the previous year (this was to show and hope to inspire not to give up-as people were post bad outings...change up game plan and things work out) with way weather had been it was ruff, but never quit. In that pic of me and deer without orange on, they should look at lower left at base of tree (see orange on ground! Btw HE was one who took that pic for me), and yes orange has to be worn during hunting season as squirrel season in....i do. The GW and talk about how it was long ago when that wasnt case in archery (so that stuck in my mind). My third deer wasn't in the Sam (never claimed to take them all in Sam), posted them here as reminder that good hunting can still be had, even way weather has been and no one having luck (posted was meant to be a encouraging). Now here is a pic of my last two hunt of season.... I'm already scouting for next season-i do this year round at times via trail cameras and getting out in woods scouting. I don't wait until right before season to do..shed hunt, moving stands and see what made it. So don't assume.....
I travel when I hunt each year and not just hunt the Sam alone. Maybe people who assume I took 3 in Sam, that is only place they go? 1deer Sam, surrounding walker/Montgomery county 2deer
So guess they assume I took my last few in Sam....
Next season have plans New Mexico, Arizona, Arkansas, Texas and final Illinois

Good to hear. Sometimes it hard to tell what people are trying to say online.
When you post a deer on here, most people will assume you shot it in the SHNF, since that's what this thread is about.
I think most were going by what you posted.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #1728
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Congrats on the good year Tiberius. It can be difficult to interpret from the internet. If you get a chance to meet these guys you should. Most of them are good people.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #1729
fmlyoutdoorsman
Nubbin' Buck

Pretty new to the area and new to this site. Family and I moved to Magnolia a little over a year ago and I am hunting SHNF for the first time this year. First year public hunting at all actually. I do most of my hunting on my family's private property in Mississippi. Looking forward to BS'ing with you guys and seeing what SHNF has to offer.
fmlyoutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #1730
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmlyoutdoorsman View Post
Pretty new to the area and new to this site. Family and I moved to Magnolia a little over a year ago and I am hunting SHNF for the first time this year. First year public hunting at all actually. I do most of my hunting on my family's private property in Mississippi. Looking forward to BS'ing with you guys and seeing what SHNF has to offer.
BS'n is our FORTE!

Daniel is first class. I don't think anyone is more full than him.

Welcome. You should try and make one of the meet and greets. Make some friends.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #1731
dmack
Pope & Young

Hunt In: shnf

Quote:
BS'n is our FORTE!

Daniel is first class. I don't think anyone is more full than him.

Welcome. You should try and make one of the meet and greets. Make some friends.

You cut me deep with that one.
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #1732
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack View Post
You cut me deep with that one.
It's all in love. Good luck this weekend.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #1733
dmack
Pope & Young

Hunt In: shnf

Quote:
It's all in love. Good luck this weekend.

I know lol. Thanks. I might throw a picture or two out while I am there.
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #1734
fmlyoutdoorsman
Nubbin' Buck

I'll keep an eye out for when the meet and greet is. Hope its not one of those "meet us on the 18th green at dark" pranks.
fmlyoutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #1735
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack View Post
I know lol. Thanks. I might throw a picture or two out while I am there.
Do it. I've never been. I have to live through you this weekend. Make em good pics! No picking your nose picks......

Old 02-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #1736
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmlyoutdoorsman View Post
I'll keep an eye out for when the meet and greet is. Hope its not one of those "meet us on the 18th green at dark" pranks.
Nah, but that does give me a thought....

Lol

Want to get to know the guys on here, come to a GTG. All good people. I'd trust all of them.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #1737
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

Quote:
Nah, but that does give me a thought....

Lol

Want to get to know the guys on here, come to a GTG. All good people. I'd trust all of them.

I'm waiting for the next get together, this past season I had to pass cause I got sick

Old 02-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #1738
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm waiting for the next get together, this past season I had to pass cause I got sick

Well there's always room for another. We've talked for years about having a spring bash. Camp out and chase fish and pigs.

Just need someone to put it together....hint....hint....

Old 02-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #1739
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

Quote:
Well there's always room for another. We've talked for years about having a spring bash. Camp out and chase fish and pigs.

Just need someone to put it together....hint....hint....

Sounds good to me, if we have a few meet up I might just have an area in mind where the pigs like to cruise.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #1740
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sounds good to me, if we have a few meet up I might just have an area in mind where the pigs like to cruise.

I do an annual hunt called the
Granger Ranger Xtreme Hunt.
Or GRXH for short.
The rules are no food after noon on Friday. If you want to eat you have to catch it or kill it.
Usually there are between 50-80 guys. Not all of them hunt, but they ALL drink....alot.

They talk some serious BS and generally have a good time.

You have to have some thick skin to hang with them.
But it's near Austin.

I would love to have one here, but the hogs are much harder to hunt here ( just not as many or reliable) but there is fishing.
The GRXH is the last weekend of Feb. ( Coming up, and yes, I'll be there)
I always thought about having it in either March or April. Weather should be good, fish would be more available then. Even if the hogs wouldn't cooperate at least we might catch some fish and not starve.

Just something to think about. We could have one heck of a shin dig, really get to know each other and make new friends and memories to last a lifetime.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #1741
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

Quote:
I do an annual hunt called the
Granger Ranger Xtreme Hunt.
Or GRXH for short.
The rules are no food after noon on Friday. If you want to eat you have to catch it or kill it.
Usually there are between 50-80 guys. Not all of them hunt, but they ALL drink....alot.

They talk some serious BS and generally have a good time.

You have to have some thick skin to hang with them.
But it's near Austin.

I would love to have one here, but the hogs are much harder to hunt here ( just not as many or reliable) but there is fishing.
The GRXH is the last weekend of Feb. ( Coming up, and yes, I'll be there)
I always thought about having it in either March or April. Weather should be good, fish would be more available then. Even if the hogs wouldn't cooperate at least we might catch some fish and not starve.

Just something to think about. We could have one heck of a shin dig, really get to know each other and make new friends and memories to last a lifetime.

Sounds like a plan to me, March would be a little better on weather I think

Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #1742
huntinfool
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sounds like a plan to me, March would be a little better on weather I think

Possibly. Maybe the whites will be running and maybe some crappie.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #1743
ChiefWhackABuck
Four Point

Quote:
Possibly. Maybe the whites will be running and maybe some crappie.

White bass are moving up in Harmon right now actually, rain might push em back a little though

Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #1744
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

Quote:
White bass are moving up in Harmon right now actually, rain might push em back a little though

Ive heard the same. Gonna try when I get home in a couple weeks. We launched at trinity river in Riverside last week and the water was green and pretty clear. I caught one white. That was it all day. We trolled, casted, and jigged deep too. Well see what Caney and Harmon have in store.
BowOnly81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top