Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 02-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching
Default Got a lease, lets talk spring turkey.

My wife and I were able to secure a year round hunting lease from a member on here. We haven't seen the place yet but from pictures and reading through some of the past threads about it we went ahead and sent the money to the land owner. Looks like the first season we'll be able to hunt out there will be spring turkey. I'm seriously going out this first year with nothing other than my recurve, my wife will haul her crossbow. We'll take pistols for snakes and such but only bows for hunting.

So school me on turkey hunting. I picked up a set of mouth calls and am driving the neighbors dogs nuts trying to get them figured out. I'll start looking for good camo and a set of decoys if I really need it. Am also reading up on shot placement (those things are small inside all them feathers!).

Hopefully this will be the start of a great place to hunt an animal or two and spend time out of the city.

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Congrats on the new lease! My first suggestion for bow hunting turkeys is to use a pop-up. Turkeys will pay no attention to it even if you set it up the same day. Without a blind it is very difficult to get drawn without getting busted. A pop-up with a couple decoys just a few yards away can work great.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Mouth calls are hard to start with. One sour note and the birds are gone. I'd start out with a box call or a slate call. Both are simple to use. Biggest tip I can give you if you want to call in a big mature gobbler- DONT OVERCALL. Good luck this April.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

For a box call, Fool Proof. Turkeys are always closer than you think when they call. Lots of times hens will come in first.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
Mouth calls are hard to start with. One sour note and the birds are gone. I'd start out with a box call or a slate call. Both are simple to use. Biggest tip I can give you if you want to call in a big mature gobbler- DONT OVERCALL. Good luck this April.
When I first started hunting Spring turkeys almost 40 years ago I called too much. That is very tempting to do because it is so exciting to hear them respond. From the first time a gobbler responds to your yelp, he knows pretty much exactly where you are. My rule of thumb now is once I can tell from the sound of his gobble that he's moving in my direction, I shut up.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
the dirty one
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lufkin area

I started turkey hunting last year and ended up bagging two, let me tell you it is addicting. Go with a box and/or slate call and don't call to much.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=640931
the dirty one is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

Shoot em high they die, shoot em low they go. Do a search on tradgang, lots of good info there! Good luck, have fun.
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Don't call too much..... ok. My patience is going to be on the ragged end of nothing I bet.

Thanks folks!
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Dkincaid
Eight Point

My experience turkey hunting is that if turkey roost on or very near your property you will have no problems in spring. A pop up and box call with or without a decoy and you are good to go. Trying to lure birds from far away gets difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

ALL the above with another emphasis on not calling to much. I prefer my voice, but as a kid growing up I liked mimicking the noises of hens and pen raised turkeys. I'm not perfect, but I have made it work successfully. IF I was going to get a call it would be a slate call. Those mouth calls can be very tough. Beyond that know that turkeys see color and have incredibly good eye sight. That's why pop-up blinds make the situation A LOT easier. I took one last season and was in a ground blind. Best to you and your wife, and extra Kudos to you for getting her involved. That's greatness.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

In the real world the gobbler goes to his strut and hollers until a few lady’s show up. Then they have fun in the sun.
Many years ago I switched to going after them. One trick is to set up as close as possible and do a couple of tiny calls. He will almost always walk 20 yards for a kiss.
Listen to the sound of his call. Squeaky is young. Deep is old. Don’t wast time on first year birds.
One of my guys used a cammo screen between two poles around 4 foot wide and tall. It was super light and made for quick location changes.
Good luck.....
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Good for y'all. Box call, decoy, corn and pop up. You will do fine.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
Don't call too much..... ok. My patience is going to be on the ragged end of nothing I bet.

Thanks folks!
You will learn with time. Most people do overcall. Always be ready, I have killed plenty of birds that never made a sound. If you are new to turkey hunting and plan on using a bow I would suggest a blind as well. I've never hunted with a blind, but I use a shotgun. I also like decoys. They can distract the birds and they action they produce is a lot of fun. As far as mouth calls, start with a light single Reed like an HS Strut. Tighter more complex reeds make better sounds but are harder to learn on. Keep the call in your mouth and get used to it. Start by getting proficient with blowing air across the Reed, then move to adjusting jaw pressure to make the tones. Get the Yelp down and you can start hunting. Cuts, purrs, etc can come later. Richard (****) Kirby made an excellent beginner video about 20 years ago. Good luck and remember to have fun.
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
hot_rod_eddie
Ten Point

Hunt In: NC, SC

Google d*** Kirby beginner call
hot_rod_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #15
Bisch
Pope & Young

A String Tracker is an invaluable tool for turkey hunting also!!!!

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #16
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Scout & find their most common roosting area.

Slip in & setup about 80 to 100 yards from said area.
If you're going to use a blind set it up several days ahead of time,
and do it midday, or in the dark of night.

Get in there EARLY, and start calling a little at First Light (preferably before they come off roost), and Call Sparingly, until you know you are being gobbled at. Then every time he gobbles, call again, OR gobble if you have a way to.

Decoys are a game changer. Not necessarily for drawing them in (which they sometimes do, and sometimes don't) BUT what I like the most about them is - it gets the birds eyes looking somewhere other than at YOU.

If you use decoys, use two.
One Jake, and one hen.
Set the Jake at your chosen distance Facing You.
Set the Hen at your chosen distance Facing Away from you.
That way, whether he comes it to fight, or to breed, he will give you a shot with him facing away from you, AND the poopie chute makes a darn fine target, and kills em quick if you hit it.

I like going after them in the morning, BUT usually after about 10:30 a.m. to about 2:30 p.m., the hens have quit paying any attention to the gobblers, so they will respond to calling real well at that time, ESPECIALLY if they are hot.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #17
Smith2001
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

They got great eye sight be still and don't call to much
Smith2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I always set my blind up the morning I am hunting and have turkeys right at the blind, they don't seem to care about blinds like deer do. I love hunting turkeys with a bow, but never even got off a shot until I started using a blind. Before I was busted EVERY time getting my bow in position, their eyesight is amazing.

In this pic our decoys were set to the left and the turkeys were walking past very close. Unfortunately this day no mature gobblers showed up, I passed up several jakes. I am not sure about Texas I haven't read the laws yet, but in PA the spring season is gobblers only. I could have shot a jake but not a hen. But I was holding out for one of the longbeards we saw scouting. I ending up missing one about 3 hours later. We moved the blind along a logging road and he came right into the decoy. But I rushed the shot and blew it. This hunt taught me I love blind for turkeys.

EDIT: This is the video of the miss. I should have waited for him to turn and come back to the decoy but when he started walking away I pulled a rookie move and rushed it. The bow sounds loud because my friend is holding is phone right by my bow (Bowtech compound I wasn't back to trad yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4oi0_PWCcI

Last edited by stickbowcoop; 02-07-2018 at 08:28 AM.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #19
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

Try and establish a relationship with a local who you can contact to ascertain when the toms are really active in their breeding activities. Feed store owners are sometimes a good source. Plan your trips around this time if possible. They are much more responsive to calling during these times. I'm sorry to say that my biggest problem has been recovering the bird after the shot. Learn exactly where that small vital area is and I'm going to take the advice of using a string tracker this year.
Good luck
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #20
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

corn and horny turkey talk is a magical combination.

middle! middle!
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #21
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Congrats on lease..Hoping it turns out to be everything you ever wanted..I'm not much of a Turkey Hunter, never got that mad at them...Been around them lots/corn is your friend and they got EYES like Eagle
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top