Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 02-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching
Default Pre hunt jitters

Going downrange in 20 days for my first actual hunt. Getting my gear together and I'm already getting excited about the prospect. I'm shooting as often as I can (about every other day with my work schedule) for as long as my back and arms can take it. I'm NOT shooting until I'm exhausted just until I can feel my form start to come apart.

My shooting is not terrible I guess but the difference between my 10 yard groups and my 15 yard groups is something just scary. I mean it's only 5 freaking yards farther...... I'm slowing down and picturing an animal out there instead of my target and when I focus on the "animal" my shooting suffers. If I focus on the "target" the groups tighten back up fractionally.

If this is honest pre-hunt jitters I'm going to be a starving wreck out at the hunt.

Thoughts?

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Sounds like you are way overthinking it
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

You’ll be fine. When the animal is actually in front of you, you don’t think about it much. It becomes automatic. Good huntin to you sir.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Trumpkin
Six Point

Hunt In: Still searching

Whoa, bud! Take a few deep breaths! Consider taking one day off from shooting if you get panicky about the forthcoming hunt. Then only shoot 10-15 good shots a day from here till the hunt. Trust your training and visualize your shot before it ever happens. You'll do great!
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

You will just shoot on cruise control at an animal. Don't overthink everything. What are you hunting? Practice the same as your going to be shooting on your hunt. You will do fine
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I got nothing.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Relax, you will do fine. Think only about where you want the arrow to go and it will go there. You have practiced a lot - trust yourself. Similar to golf - if your last thought before you swing is “don’t hit it in the water,” you will hit it in the water. See nothing in your minds eye but the arrow hitting your spot. You got this!
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Well I can tell you this...every time I have a hunt coming up it seems like my shooting falls apart just a few days ahead of time. It's just nerves. Once I get in the woods I settle in and do fine. Don't overthink it. If it's the hunt that I think you're going on, I'd be more worried about where to hide a few Snickers bars and Vienna sausages!!
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Get a cheap 3d pig from Academy.
Shoot in armpit.
Repeat.

Also I try to always end on a good shot. Maybe a few less reps and make the fewer shots good.
TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #10
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
Whoa, bud! Take a few deep breaths! Consider taking one day off from shooting if you get panicky about the forthcoming hunt. Then only shoot 10-15 good shots a day from here till the hunt. Trust your training and visualize your shot before it ever happens. You'll do great!
This^^^^
Focuse on executing a few perfect shots (form) instead of a bunch of shooting. Follow thru is of upmost importance!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #11
Junkers88
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
Well I can tell you this...every time I have a hunt coming up it seems like my shooting falls apart just a few days ahead of time. It's just nerves. Once I get in the woods I settle in and do fine. Don't overthink it. If it's the hunt that I think you're going on, I'd be more worried about where to hide a few Snickers bars and Vienna sausages!!
Yeah its "that one". I know it's just a hog hunt but I approach a shot on an animal the same no matter what animal it is. When I was stalking squirrels on my place down south I always wanted to ensure that the shot I took was an ethical shot, limited pain and suffering to the animal. I don't differentiate between a hog and a trophy buck (never shot at either but you get the idea) when it comes time to release. And yes I'm trying to figure out where to hide a few cans of Vienna's in my kit so I don't starve to death out there.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm sure I'll either flub the heck out of this or be stupidly surprised when I hit what I'm aiming at.

Richard.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:55 PM   #12
Junkers88
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Madden View Post
This^^^^
Focuse on executing a few perfect shots (form) instead of a bunch of shooting. Follow thru is of upmost importance!
I have noticed that when my fletchings magically appear where I'm looking my bow arm is still held out in front of me, bow slightly canted and my string hand is resting on my right shoulder. Problem is I can't consciously repeat it. It just.... well it just kind of happens and "thock!" the arrow is where it should be. I can't force it to happen enough to know when I'm doing it right. Once out of every 5 or 6 shot is just happens.

Richard.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #13
DRT
Pope & Young

I'd rather starve than eat Vienna sausages. Just remember to pick a very definite spot. It can be tough on a black pig. Especially in low light.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
Junkers88
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I'd rather starve than eat Vienna sausages. Just remember to pick a very definite spot. It can be tough on a black pig. Especially in low light.

And that's the heck of it. I've read here over and over again that I need to pick out a hair on the animal over the vitals and focus on that but my eyes aren't good enough anymore to pick out hairs at 10-15 yards. I've got a diagram that shows how to avoid the shoulder plate on a hog and where to aim but to be honest it's still a "focus on a black spot on a black animal with a black background". I just don't want to wound something and never recover it. I'd rather miss than hit wrong....

Richard.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

You shooting a compound or stick bow?
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #16
DRT
Pope & Young

Just don't shoot and you'll never wound one.

Just make sure it's close. You'll find a spot. Remember your form and follow through. You'll be fine. Sharp heads.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #17
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

I limit myself to high percentage shots, for me 10 yds and under. High percentage shots result in success, success builds confidence. Confidence results in success. Enjoy the journey. Works for me, you’ll find what works for you.
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #18
Junkers88
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
You shooting a compound or stick bow?
Stick bow.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #19
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post

Blasphemy!! Those bbq vienna sausages are one of the 4 basic food groups.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #20
stykshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: S. Dakota, Nebraska & Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Sounds like you are way overthinking it
Agreed remember it's instinctive shooting
stykshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #21
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

[QUOTE=DRT;13154171]Just don't shoot and you'll never wound one.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Ay, there's the rub!

The hardest lesson for me is to get over my fear of making a poor shot on an animal or wasting and arrow.

A caribou hunt in Alaska taught me a great lesson in that.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #22
DRT
Pope & Young

I get that way too. But at some point . . . And pigs are a good way to work on it.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #23
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Savor the moment, and I mean all of it from now till after the hunt.

Get you a tennis ball, or similar, hang it at your target butt, and shoot at only it.

When you get out there on your hunt, envision/imagine that ball right on the spot of the animal you want your arrow to go, and shoot at it.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #24
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Richard as you can tell from the many posts here. We are all pulling for you, and that's one part of the TBH. We always, (well mostly ) want to help each other be as successful as possible. You can also see how we as a group differ in our mental approaches. I can't "imagine" a black spot. That just does not work for me. I need to see the whole target and then focus on the spot I want to hit. I don't look for "a hair" or "put a dot there" I find the spot I want my arrow to enter the animal and then go through my shot sequence.
I feel like you are just nervous about making an error. Listen, we ALL have screw-ups. You concern is a great compliment about your character, but DO NOT let it cripple you. If you over anticipate a mess-up you will unfortunately Force the situation upon yourself.
My shooting took another big leap when I stopped trying to shoot LOTS of shots and only make a few really solid shots. Now I shoot more, but for a while, less was more.
Best to you Richard and RELAX- you got this. :-)
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #25
chuckc.
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason

Rick hit it right on the head. Most of my out of state hunting for elk and mule deer produced tag soup and unforgettable memories. The experience is priceless!
chuckc. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #26
DRT
Pope & Young

I went out last night and shot 5 arrows before bed at 10:30. I could see the target but none of the spots on it. The patio light is 12 yards away, under the roof and partially blocked by clothes on the line. I just focused on the center and released. 3 arrows were within 3" of the center, 4 within the 6" cirlcle and the fifth right outside it and that was a bad follow through shot. You have to worry less about the tiny hair and just find a spot to focus on. Then let your training do the rest.