Trees south of Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trees south of Houston

I’ve built a house on 3 acres near Liverpool, which is about 30 miles south of Houston. When we got it there were a couple of lonely Tallow trees in the back and a lot of field grass. The fence line had a couple of Pines, Live Oaks, and a Cedar. I’ve kept all of them and planted 5 more Live Oaks, 6 more Pines, and 6 differing fruit trees.

I want to add a good bit more trees over time. I’m thinking about some Drummond Maples and Cedar Elms for color.

I’d like more ideas. Anybody here with experience planting trees? Seems like everyone wants to push Mexican Fan Palms. We’re done with them.

I have a ton of Ash trees on my place. They grow fast and make a great shade tree. Yellow leaves in the fall.

Comment

Cedar Elms are a great choice. Think Sycamores, some Pecan varieties, and if you need wind breaks or privacy some Leyland Cypress would be good.

Comment

Red maples!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bradford pairs do real well down here and grow pretty quick. If you want grass under them you will have to trim them back after a while. These are not fruit baring trees.

Comment

Ax and spray those tallows if you don’t want 10,000 of them in five years.

Comment

Yeah get rid of the tallow before there are way more than you want. Also, ash may not a great idea as the EAB is headed to Texas and will more than likely kill them anyways..

Comment

Have your soil tested to figure out what type of soil you have and what grows in that soil. Some plants will not do well in some types of soils. We just bought 8 ac., it has mostly post oak and black hickory, with a few cedar. The side of IH 10 we are on, is very sandy, my mother in on the other side of IH 10 and it's all black clay over there. She has a lot of pecans on her place. She said she will give us a pecan tree. In the process of figuring out what the black hickory trees are. I did a lot of reading on what type of soil various types of trees grow in. I am pretty sure the pecans will do well in the soil we have, because there are a lot of pecans growing in sandy areas on the same side of IH 10 we are on. At first I was not sure and was going to figure out what type of soil we have, then what pecans will grow in, but then remembered there are a lot of pecans growing in the same type of sandy soil along the river, so it should be fine. I know in years past, we have planted trees in soil that the trees did not like and they died quickly.

Comment

Shumard Oak has some great Fall color.

Comment

sicamoes!

Comment

Working...
                    X