Hunting skunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting skunks

We've been having an issue with LARGE numbers of skunks around our place. Sometimes the smell gets into the house and wakes us up in the middle of the night. Or dogs have been sprayed several times. I'd say about 8 times out of 10 when I step outside I smell a skunk nearby. We have rabies in the area, and skunks are the #1 carriers.

I've killed several of them, but didn't make a dent in their numbers, apparently. Sometimes I go out and try to stalk them or maybe hunt them at night under a red light, using different baits, but no luck, although I bring out tons of raccoons and possums and sometimes a fox. Sometimes I can tell one's in the thick bushes right in front of me - the smell is REALLY strong - but I can't spot it. Is there some way to call or draw skunks out into the open?

Live trap with cheap cat food then KAS with a .22. Put the trap where you won't mind the smell as they expel at death.

Comment

Good luck. Just be careful. I understand Skunks carry a high percentage of Rabies.

Comment

It is their breeding season. They are moving alot looking for mates. Saw ALOT of them ran over lately. We have the same issue at our place right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
          Live trap with cheap cat food then KAS with a .22. Put the trap where you won't mind the smell as they expel at death.
          I learned this lesson the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
            I think the coons would grab it instantly.

Comment

I just assassinated a skunk in my back yard in a trap. It let out the nastiest smell, way worse than when it was alive. But I used wet dog food. 2 days prior, I caught a giant possum. He gone too

Comment

You can try to call them in. I remember one night in Jacksboro I was out critter calling using a distress call. On one stand I think we called in something like 9 skunks. Good luck, and hope the wind is at your back on this one

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                  It is their breeding season. They are moving alot looking for mates. Saw ALOT of them ran over lately. We have the same issue at our place right now.

That makes more sense now bc I've seen more recently than in a long time

Comment

So here's my question, if you kill one is there a way to save the hide without it getting the stink on it?

Comment

They're "rutting" right now

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                        So here's my question, if you kill one is there a way to save the hide without it getting the stink on it?
                        Maybe? If you practice enough let us know how it works out

Look for any rock piles or brush piles or other places for them to lay up in. Used have about 2 city blocks behind my house,that was covered with junk vehicles, equipment and other crap. I couldn't kill enough of them to make a dent. The guy cleaned it all up about a year ago, killed a herd of them first few months, only killed one this winter. Also stopped most of the snake and bee problems.

Comment

I have killed three in the last 2 weeks eating dogfood off the porch. Dog got it, but bought some deskunk at petco that workrd great. I also use a motion detector to tell me when something is outside eating. Works Great. I'll post a couple pics.

Comment

Tie inside motion detector. $14 from harbor freight
                            Attached Files

Comment

My setup. Notice sensor by pole.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X