Ideas for flip up windows on the inside of blind 2x2 framed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for flip up windows on the inside of blind 2x2 framed

Getting ready to frame the interior of my blind walls and have a question. I bought some deerview windows and am framing the walls and wonder how I should do the windows. I want them on the inside. If I do that I'll have a 1.5" ledge on the outside around the windows that I'm thinking will eventually become a place for wood rot to take root and moisture leak inside. I'm building this blind to last.
    One thought I have is to build flaps on the outside to cover the windows the 40 weeks its not in use. Hinged at the top so they function as visors when in use. That'll probably work for the horizontal ones by my on vertical window would be too long for that I think.
    I was also thinking of wrapping the opening with flashing but doubt I could do a good enough job to not have sharp edges.
    Curious what others have done or pictures of your installs.
    Here's a sketch of the planned blind.
    Attached Files

Perhaps you can build little visors over each of the windows this will keep a lot of the water out but not all. Sorry but it's all I think of for the moment. I would have put in windows with frames thick enough to fill the wall all the way through so there would be no wood ledge exposed to hold water.

Comment

How about some good heavy canvas that you could just rollup like you do tent windows ?

Comment

What I think I'll do is mount the window to the siding and just put my framing out further for clearance.

Comment

Metal flashing and some tyvek scraps should help with that. Or you could extend the window frame inward.

Comment

You could take a wood rasp or file and make a little slope the full width of the bottom of the window opening. This would then be like a traditional wood sill like any window. If I did my math right a 1/2" over 12" slope would only be 1/16" material removed on the outside working back the 1.5" board to 0" right at the window (inside).

Comment

Metal flashing or alum sill is whats on all mine, I try to stear clear of wood, learned the hard way.

Comment

anyone have experience with rubberized flashing or this one?

Don't want something that is sticky on the outside and get all over my rifle or collect dirt.

Comment

Working...
                X