Gumbo Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gumbo Sausage

What's your go to gumbo sausage? Also, home made roux or jar bought?

Home made roux and andouille sausage.

Comment

Kuntry boys pork and venison, not sure why but we like it in gumbo.
      And Karys dark roux. I have better things to do than cook flour.

Comment

I use my own sausage but if store bought Kuntry boys is good. I used to make my own roux but lately I just use Savoies (sp) roux and I can't really tell the difference.

Comment

Nothing beats fresh smoked sausage: either your own or from a reputable meat/butcher shop. Store bought sausage I will use Richard's or Savoie's Cajun sausage, andouille, and tasso. I brown the meat to get extra flavor for the gumbo. If I have lots of time on my hands I'll make a roux, otherwise I use a Lafayette area based jar roux and will make it darker.

Comment

Go to Jones old fashioned sausage on Fannett Rd in Beaumont and buy some of their smoked sausage. It has a really good smoke flavor that is great in Gumbo, jambalaya etc. Go at lunch and eat at the steam table if you want some good home cooking!

I do as Blake says and brown the sausage in the pot for flavor at the very start then set it aside and add back in towards the end. For roux we either use Dougets or Kary's.

Comment

I use roux from a jar, I cant tell the difference.

Comment

Good quality andouille sausage. I make roux in an enamel lined cast iron dutch oven IN THE OVEN. Just have to stir it every 20 minutes or so for about 2.5 hours at 350F for a nice tootsie roll colored roux.

Comment

I usually make a big pot with about 4 pounds of sausage and 4 pounds of chicken. Usually half the sausage is andouille and half German smoked. Amazing some of the flavor a you can pick out of the sausage.

For roux. I've done it all. But have a quick easy method I like best. 1 cup flour and 1 cup oil in a Pyrex bowl. Microwave for a minute on high. Stir. Repeat the microwave and stirring until the its reached the desired "brown-ness".

Use your pot to brown and capture all your seasoning with your meat, onion garlic. Etc.

Comment

Karys dark roux and down home sausage most the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X