Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #1751
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1 View Post
Guys I have a friend that is seriously looking for a started tracking dog. If you know of something text 903-826-0219...Thanks!!!
They are hard to find and worth a lot of money for a real dog. Tell him to be very careful and tedious in his search.... I would make them show him a track before he buys anything. Good luck!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #1752
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Just got a shorthair pointer puppy, 12 weeks old, wanting to train him to be a tracking dog and am looking for training and tips and guidance. I already ordered john jeannreys books but haven't got them yet. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #1753
shark79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I continue to be amazed how easy a dog can find a dead or wounded deer sometimes. I shot this 8 yesterday just before dark. I was certain I'd hit the deer by the way he kicked and the sound of the arrow hitting him. I crawled out of the popup and looked for blood and my arrow. Neither was to be found so I assumed the arrow was still in him(I gotta get some lighted nocks). I headed back to the house and waited 45 minutes and headed back with the dog. I turned her loose where I'd shot the deer. She immediately picked up the trail and headed exactly where the buck ran and had him 198 yds from where I shot him in less than 3 minutes. I'd still be looking in this thick stuff. I hit the deer a little forward but the arrow went down and back some so it nicked the heart.
Attached Images

shark79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #1754
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark79 View Post
I continue to be amazed how easy a dog can find a dead or wounded deer sometimes. I shot this 8 yesterday just before dark. I was certain I'd hit the deer by the way he kicked and the sound of the arrow hitting him. I crawled out of the popup and looked for blood and my arrow. Neither was to be found so I assumed the arrow was still in him(I gotta get some lighted nocks). I headed back to the house and waited 45 minutes and headed back with the dog. I turned her loose where I'd shot the deer. She immediately picked up the trail and headed exactly where the buck ran and had him 198 yds from where I shot him in less than 3 minutes. I'd still be looking in this thick stuff. I hit the deer a little forward but the arrow went down and back some so it nicked the heart.
Bagley has saved me hundreds of hours tracking deer here at the farm. Even on deer that are well hit, It turns a couple of hour tracking job into a few minutes work
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #1755
Swamphunterfw
Four Point

Hunt In: All over

Any one training a blood dog in dfw ??
Swamphunterfw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #1756
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

Need dog in Anderson county anyone in the area
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #1757
dustinm
Four Point

Hunt In: Erna, backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
Need dog in Anderson county anyone in the area
Palestine? I may be able to help, if not myself I can find you someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dustinm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #1758
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinm View Post
Palestine? I may be able to help, if not myself I can find you someone

979-2one8-2332
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #1759
Jibby
Four Point

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs and Drawn hunts

Just found this thread! Any opinions on the blood scents that you can buy in the store? I would much rather use the real thing, but not always readily available.
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #1760
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Caught our first live one this week and it was a fun track to watch! Buddy is taking out some WT on his place and hit a small buck way back hit the buck in the flank and busted the offside leg. Turned Delta loose and started looking for blood ourselves. She circled a few times and off she went. We couldn't find a single drop of blood bone ect where he was hit. Said saw him run off leg hanging blood on his leg. Saw a few scattered drops where he went off the field.Few minutes later GPS said she was stopped at 220 yards. By the time I got there she was gone and 100 yards ahead of me bayed. Huffed and puffed my way there and she was circling around no buck in sight saw a spot of blood there in the track. She took off and next thing she was 275 yards away bayed again. Got there just in time to see her pull him down. Looked like there had been a pretty good tussle for a few minutes! Deer would not have lived and we wouldn't have ever found him without a dog.

Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 11-12-2017 at 10:30 AM..
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #1761
dustinm
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
Caught our first live one this week and it was a fun track to watch! Buddy is taking out some WT on his place and hit a small buck way back hit the buck in the flank and busted the offside leg. Turned Delta loose and started looking for blood ourselves. She circled a few times and off she went. We couldn't find a single drop of blood bone ect where he was hit. Few minutes later GPS said she was stopped at 220 yards. By the time I got there she was gone and 100 yards ahead of me bayed. Huffed and puffed my way there and she was circling around no buck in sight saw my first spot of blood there in the whole track. She took off and next thing she was 275 yards away bayed again. Got there just in time to see her pull him down. Looked like there had been a pretty good tussle for a few minutes! Deer would not have lived and we wouldn't have ever found him without a dog.

Yeah yeah!!

Old 11-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #1762
Txprowler
Four Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Tx.

Wounded deer near Concan, anyone know of a tracker near?
Txprowler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #1763
dustinm
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txprowler View Post
Wounded deer near Concan, anyone know of a tracker near?

Justin Deorsom
8302799704, Uvalde

Old 11-16-2017, 01:11 AM   #1764
buckhunter1999
Spike

Hey guys Iíve got 8 Full blood lacy pups on the ground, gonna he awesome tracking dogs! For more info send me a pm or Check the classifieds!

buckhunter1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #1765
JJtomball
Four Point

Hunt In: Mertzon

Need a dog in NE irion west of Mertzon
JJtomball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #1766
SFZack
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Tx Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
Just found this thread! Any opinions on the blood scents that you can buy in the store? I would much rather use the real thing, but not always readily available.
I have a bloodhound that I have trained since the day I got her with the Dog Bone products from Jeremy Moore. It can be bought at Cabelas, Bass pro, amazon or directly from the Dog Bone site. https://www.dogbonehunter.com

This is the only option I have found. I use the deer hide and liquid scent mostly.
SFZack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #1767
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

Anybody want to sell a started tracking dog. Donít know if I have time to train one from scratch but I am sure I could keep one going.

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #1768
Shakedown
Spike

Hunt In: McCulloch Co.
Default Need a dog in Montague County

Any one have a dog available this afternoon in Montague county. My cousin stuck a good one and canít find it. Text me 817 two nine one 8899. Appreciate the help!
KP
Shakedown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #1769
HCtracker
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Hill Country & Bastrop county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
My tracking dogs.

Attachment 630101
My first tracking dog was a beagle many years ago. She found more deer than I could remember. They are good trackers and great pets. You have a ggreat looking beagle. Trust her nose.
HCtracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #1770
HCtracker
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Hill Country & Bastrop county

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Who uses a lead rope versus turning the dog loose on a track? Do you use a tracking collar or cow bell if off a lead rope? I just started training mine on blood trail. I using a lead rope. I plan on putting a small cow bell on my dog and turning him loose on a live trail this fall.
I tracked with a lead rope and without depending on the breed of dog and experience. I used a lead rope on a hound breed (beagle) and turned off lead rip if I knew deer was gut shot or broke leg or was hit hard. My Weimaraners and lab I started with a lead rope but tracked without the lead rope fairly soon, especially with the lab. I am using a lead rope on my Lacy but will turn her off the lead depending on the hit or size of ranch and where located.
HCtracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #1771
jtslush
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can!
Default Nice Williamson County Buck

I find that too many people trash the trail before calling in a dog. Sometimes it is hard to admit you can't find it on your own. When in doubt, back out. This hunter showed great discipline and did it right. He lost blood after about 50 yards. His shot was a little high, so most of the blood collected in the chest cavity. He backed out and called me immediately. We found this buck about 45 minutes later.

Name:  20171125_213912.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  69.2 KBName:  20171125_214424.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  20171125_214441.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  52.2 KBName:  123_1_03.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  123_1_01.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  54.8 KBName:  123_1_02.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  63.8 KB
jtslush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #1772
Shaky
Four Point

Well I am just getting my puppy into tracking she is a 7 month old redbone, catahoula, and black mouth kit mix.

She really surprised me this past weekend. As for she fetched her first ducks..."not what I was training for but we will make a duck dog out of her yet."

Well with tracking she has minimal experience the only thing she has tracked up until this past weekend was a deer hide I pulled behind me on a rope and her longest track of that was 100 yards maybe.

I took a guy deer hunting this past Sunday for a doe. It was pretty close to sunset when we finally had a doe step out he made a terrible shot on it and it ran off. So we gave it 30 minutes just in case he hit an artery or something and we went and looked for blood didn't find any were he shot but found a little where she ran into the brush. So we put my dog on the blood and this is where she just blew me away. She trailed the deer for 812 yards to last blood for a 7 month year old puppy with not much training I am really impressed at her abilities. Blue dot is last blood.

Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #1773
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Congrats on the tracks guys!! Awesome work.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #1774
PROD49
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtslush View Post
I find that too many people trash the trail before calling in a dog. Sometimes it is hard to admit you can't find it on your own. When in doubt, back out. This hunter showed great discipline and did it right. He lost blood after about 50 yards. His shot was a little high, so most of the blood collected in the chest cavity. He backed out and called me immediately. We found this buck about 45 minutes later.

Attachment 884793Attachment 884794

Attachment 884795Attachment 884796

Attachment 884797Attachment 884798
Did you shoot this out of Georgetown? I think I have several pics of him on game camera

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #1775
jtslush
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROD49 View Post
Did you shoot this out of Georgetown? I think I have several pics of him on game camera

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I didn't shoot him, I just tracked him, but that looks like him. I was told he scored 167 4/8".
jtslush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #1776
cphillips
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas - Smith & Marion County

Well Sam's first track was 184 yards. He got turned around one time and I let him work it out. This dog is hooked for life. Sent him on a 50 yard track the next morning and he nailed it. Always fun watching a dog work, especially this guy, poor fellow spent the first three years of his life locked up in a shelter. Got him out of jail last year around Christmas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
cphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #1777
BrokenJ
Ten Point

Dimmit finally got his first bay of the year. Guiding down in Uvalde and another guides hunter shot a doe in the back leg. Went out after taking care of dinner and tracked her up. Little over 600 yards to her, she jumped up and bayed within 20 yards in some extremely thick mixed brush. 357 sealed the deal.
BrokenJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #1778
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Guys, I got a new pup!!! Found him on my way back from the lease on Tuesday, about 10 miles from the nearest home, all by himself. Took him in and he was cold, hungry, and thirsty, as soon as I put him in my jeep he passed out. He was scared and shy at first but he is now starting to break out of his shell, I named him Razor. He loves the duck toys Iíve bought him a lot. Heíll be my new bird and blood dog. Iím looking forward to spending lots of time with him in the future.
Name:  IMG_4893.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  130.7 KB
Name:  IMG_4894.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  128.3 KB
Name:  IMG_4895.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  126.5 KB

Jmsck12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #1779
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Good looking pup man! Looks like he will make an awesome companion and good for you on giving him a good home.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #1780
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Tracked one a few weeks back for one of my Dads buddies. I usually don't track for others but his kid hit a decent 9 and was tore up over not being able to find him. Smaller low fence place so was a little worried about turning her loose but all went well. They spent 2 hours looking and found a few small spots of blood and that's it. Cut Delta loose four hours after the shot and 5 min later she had his buck. He ended up making almost a complete circle from where he was shot and made it a little over 300 yards or so. It was shot with a .243 with a ballistic tip about midway back no exit but sure tore him up on the inside.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #1781
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
Good looking pup man! Looks like he will make an awesome companion and good for you on giving him a good home.

Thank you!! He just got real comfortable with us today, just started to teach him basic commands and. I already got him to ďsitĒ on command.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #1782
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsck12 View Post
Thank you!! He just got real comfortable with us today, just started to teach him basic commands and. I already got him to ďsitĒ on command.

Heelers are some very smart dogs and will amaze you on how fast they learn things. Smartest dog I have ever owned was a heeler...my catahoula is starting to give her a run for her money but I loved that heeler. Good luck with him.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #1783
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Looking to get a dog and get into tracking. Catahoula vs. bloodhound? What's better?

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #1784
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Best one...?

Do

A

Search...

And decide....

Based on your needs, budget and fancy.
Good luck and post pics of your new puppy.
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #1785
dustinm
Four Point

Lol

Old 12-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #1786
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Know a guy with a bloodhound and he loves it. Also had a tracker come out with a jag terrier before and he couldn't keep his dog on trail before. I personally like bloodhounds. Figured what people would have to say about them vs catahoula

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #1787
dustinm
Four Point

Tracked with a bloodhound for 4 years, donít know what state your in, but if your in a state where you can work off lead... their too slow on the track and on the chase. Never will get a deer stopped and bayed. Great nose, just slow. Just my experience with them, to each their own

Old 12-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #1788
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

My Hanoverian bloodhound is 3 now and much faster on the track than he was his first two seasons. I suppose it depends on what kind of bloodhound you're talking about.
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2017, 11:36 PM   #1789
dustinm
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
My Hanoverian bloodhound is 3 now and much faster on the track than he was his first two seasons. I suppose it depends on what kind of bloodhound you're talking about.

Yeah Grayson I wasnít referring to the Bavarian or the Hanoverian, just the good ol bloodhound. If I was referring to them I would have said so. Great dogs that have all the tools!! Your fortunate

Old 12-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #1790
BrokenJ
Ten Point

Found a buck today 60 hr after shot. neighbors grandson gut shot a buck I had on camera the last few months. I tracked it for them because it immediately jumped the fence back on to the property I manage. I was happy his grandson got a crack at him. He shot him on the 22nd at 5 pm. I went out the 22nd around 8 pm knowing I had a slim chance being a gut shot and how he acted they said. Also because the next few days were going to be busy with Christmas. We found no blood and it was misty rain. Ran dimmit about 30 min and backed out came back today the 27th and set dimmit up and went the direction I thought he would go and got lucky across a creek and over 700 yards from where he was hit we found the Bucks antlers hide and a back bone. Coyotes had him cleaned up. But there will be a happy young hunter this weekend. Not sure how to post pictures now that photo buckets acting up but he was a nice ten with a split brow.
BrokenJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 12:02 AM   #1791
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenJ View Post
Found a buck today 60 hr after shot. neighbors grandson gut shot a buck I had on camera the last few months. I tracked it for them because it immediately jumped the fence back on to the property I manage. I was happy his grandson got a crack at him. He shot him on the 22nd at 5 pm. I went out the 22nd around 8 pm knowing I had a slim chance being a gut shot and how he acted they said. Also because the next few days were going to be busy with Christmas. We found no blood and it was misty rain. Ran dimmit about 30 min and backed out came back today the 27th and set dimmit up and went the direction I thought he would go and got lucky across a creek and over 700 yards from where he was hit we found the Bucks antlers hide and a back bone. Coyotes had him cleaned up. But there will be a happy young hunter this weekend. Not sure how to post pictures now that photo buckets acting up but he was a nice ten with a split brow.

Glad you all found it for that young hunter. Way to go.
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #1792
Seay
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, Tx

Doc found another one this morning! Not a trophy but it was a young man's first and an axis at that!

Shot last night I was working so couldn't make it out to track until about 8am. She ran basically a big circle. About 250yds into the track Doc found where she had bedded down and about a plate sized saturated spot of blood then the trail was pretty dry for the last 200yds but still a success!
Yotes got to her....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Seay; 12-30-2017 at 08:05 PM..
Seay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #1793
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Congrats on the recoveries guys!
Old 12-31-2017, 06:43 PM   #1794
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Great job everyone.

Just figured I would weigh in here on this thread, I haven't checked it in a while. If you don't have a GPS collar, I would highly suggest getting one and using it. Thought I was going to lose my dog this week. Lost track of her for 24 hours and probably lost an animal because I decided since I had her on a long lead with a bell I didn't need to bother with a GPS.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=676460
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #1795
Jerryg
Ten Point

We have caught a good amount of deer this season. Got a call on Sunday. Buck was hit and hunter didnít know where. We took the track and had blood on the initial 10 yards. She took the line about 350 and found him dead. No more blood until the end.

Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #1796
dragonsdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: llano

jerimy brought his dog trigger out monday afternoon to look for a buck i shot early that morning. great blood trail for 75 yds. we pushed the buck from its bed and left it walking slowly away after wards. 4 hrs later, looked for a while in the nearby rocks before calling jerimy. trigger initially got after the wrong deer, but after starting over, went straight to him and bayed him, then chased him almost 500 yds before we were able to catch up to them. was exciting and thrilling to recover a deer we would otherwise have never recovered. thanks again jerimy.
Attached Images

Last edited by dragonsdaddy; 01-04-2018 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: add picture
dragonsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #1797
Seay
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
jerimy brought his dog trigger out monday afternoon to look for a buck i shot early that morning. great blood trail for 75 yds. we pushed the buck from its bed and left it walking slowly away after wards. 4 hrs later, looked for a while in the nearby rocks before calling jerimy. trigger initially got after the wrong deer, but after starting over, went straight to him and bayed him, then chased him almost 500 yds before we were able to catch up to them. was exciting and thrilling to recover a deer we would otherwise have never recovered. thanks again jerimy.
Sounds like the "recovery" was more fun than the hunt!

Congrats

Old 01-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #1798
Jerryg
Ten Point

When the landowner says ďlet me bring a macheteĒ on your way to track a wounded you may want to turn around and drive away. Bayed this one up for a young hunter. Broken back leg and through the testicles. Donít know how the buck was getting through some of the stuff we went through. Young dogs pulled it off, bayed him 3 times before i could get another bullet in him

Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #1799
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Default TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Put my new pup on a trail today, he didnít really have any drive to follow the trail. I put him on first blood and he sat there and ate dirt for 5 minutes. Put him away and brought my full grown Doberman to the same spot, instant nose to the ground straight to the end. Any tips on what I can do to make him have more drive?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #1800
Seay
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsck12 View Post
Put my new pup on a trail today, he didnít really have any drive to follow the trail. I put him on first blood and he sat there and ate dirt for 5 minutes. Put him away and brought my full grown Doberman to the same spot, instant nose to the ground straight to the end. Any tips on what I can do to make him have more drive?

Had the same problem with my lacy starting off a couple years back.

I started using some of the old ground deer meat I had in the freezer.

Beginning of blood I'd put about a chicken nugget sized piece (raw)

Then every 5-10 feet

After a while I'd space them out a little farther then to the point where it was only 5-10 ft after a turn I'd put in the trail and eventually I got to the point that he gets praise and treat at the end of the trail.