Grimes county?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
    Lots of small illegal bucks around. Some barley hit 11" for the most part. I do have a friend that shot a 21 point that went 198 and change between Shiro and Richards. There was also a buck hit by a car closer to the walker county line on Hwy 30 around 11-12 years ago that was 24 pints and went low 190's.
    I know of both of those deer. There are good ones around,just gotta be there when theyre there!

Comment

Originally posted by BufordT View Post
      I know of both of those deer. There are good ones around,just gotta be there when theyre there!
      I'll see if Johnny can send me some pictures.

Comment

This guy was shot around 15 or so years ago. Johnny was hunting just as a meat hunt and i believe it was the last week of the season. Grimes county back then was 1 buck, 2 does only on thanksgiving weekend. This deer walked out right before dusk against a heavy low branch tree line. He shot the deer thinking it was a heavy 8 or 9 point. He was quite surprised when he walked upon this stud.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
          I’ve seen nothing but doe and pigs near stoneham
          Same here at the house, about 7mi south of Stoneham.

Comment

Lots of small illegal bucks around. Some barley hit 11" for the most part. I do have a friend that shot a 21 point that went 198 and change between Shiro and Richards. There was also a buck hit by a car closer to the walker county line on Hwy 30 around 11-12 years ago that was 24 pints and went low 190's.

Thats right in my wheelhouse! I knew we had some good ones around but didn't think we had any like THAT. The longer i stay at it, the more chance i have to connect with one of those giants. Im in 400 acres of one of the larger tracts of woods on the grimes/walker county line. Everything around us is high fenced or just straight cow pastures.

Comment

Awesome info guys thanks for all the updates

Comment

Would you happen to have a picture of said 21pt?
                Im wayy north of them by 15 miles or so, but i pass through on 1486 all the time headed to town. Seen several nice deer but nothing that size.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter87 View Post
                  anyone have any land to lease in grimes county?
                  I dont believe there would be any for lease. The ones large enough are already leased with the proximity to Houston. And alot of the properties around here are smaller 30-100 acre tracts that are family owned, but it wouldnt hurt to keep looking.

I lucked out this season that my neighbor needed a ranch hand to help maintain the place so i got hunting rights that way. But he is selling it though

Comment

Spotted a little chasing this morning. Majority of the does are already grouped back up and hitting feeders.
                    The chasing is saw was two small does. Maybe yearling that were born a little early and each had a small basket rack buck nudging them pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I let a doe pass yesterday evening and kicking myself in the butt...she ended up blowing and only deer I've seen...been quiet this morning. ..I've heard a couple gun shots.

She walked right past the hand corn I threw down....and my sd card in trail cam failed so no data of last month's actions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Grimes county?

Rut action has fallen off so wife and i decided to sleep in.
                        Went feed our horses and spotted group of big does feeding in the pasture.
                        She dropped one and handed me the rifle. They filtered back through and i popped another.
                        Our attention is turning back to the feeders. Got pics of bucks grouping together, 2 or 3 at a time back at feeders. Saw two out feeding together on the way to work this AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice that little boy is going to be eating good those are way better than the scrawny one I saw..
                          and I think I'm going to change strategies to pigs there's a group of eight or so coming around regular

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                            Nice that little boy is going to be eating good those are way better than the scrawny one I saw..
                            and I think I'm going to change strategies to pigs there's a group of eight or so coming around regular

Pigs are horrible this year. They normally change patterns or move properties this time every year. They hit the acorns so hard, we never really got to pattern any deer on them. I have several pics of 20+ at the feeder in one sitting.
                            Good luck with the rest of your season

Comment

I still have acorns falling and feeder action is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post

Thats right in my wheelhouse! I knew we had some good ones around but didn't think we had any like THAT. The longer i stay at it, the more chance i have to connect with one of those giants. Im in 400 acres of one of the larger tracts of woods on the grimes/walker county line. Everything around us is high fenced or just straight cow pastures.
                                Where is your place? Is it off 2620?

Comment

Working...
                                X