Arrow Help Please - Weight and FOC Gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
    If you wanted to stick with the 100 heads, just crank the poundage up to 60.
    Why would he need to crank up his bow to shoot a 100 gn head

Comment

The 100 gr head has less inertia than the 125. Therefore the shaft will have stiffer dynamic spine (flex less). He could still shoot 100s at 57, but it moves the needle to the green/yellow boundary on the stiffer side. It might still tune well there, but in 3 arrow builds I've done since using this program, they've all bareshaft tuned best when the setup centered in the green.

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
        The 100 gr head has less inertia than the 125. Therefore the shaft will have stiffer dynamic spine (flex less). He could still shoot 100s at 57, but it moves the needle to the green/yellow boundary on the stiffer side. It might still tune well there, but in 3 arrow builds I've done since using this program, they've all bareshaft tuned best when the setup centered in the green.
        Ok next time you build some arrows I would like you to do a test. You will need to contact me.

Please don't take this wrong. But a program is nothing but a fancy chart. Here's is a thought. If you set up your bow to factory specs. And you build that arrow to that program. If you have to touch anything on that bow I mean anything to achieve perfect flight. Then the program did no more for you then a chart.

Programs are starting points. There are two ways to tune. You can tune the arrow or tune the bow. How that works is if you tune the arrow it will shoot great to what ever your bow is set at. If you tune the bow then you move things on bow to get the arrow to fly straight.

This is why a compound bow with a release aid cane tune just about anything. I've tuned 500 spine all the way to 200 spines out of same bow. Most of it was to test and show people spine is not that critical. For a hunting arrow as long as you have good flight then impact flex is more important then shot flex. Where shot flex comes into play is if your ability to tune is not the best. This is the only reason some people cannot shoot a week arrow and I would never condone this. Or cannot shoot a very stiff arrow. Form is a big problem shooting stiff arrows as they want to travel in the direction there pointing.

Another problem with programs as I mention arrows are not always what the program things it is. Example good tip velocitys I bought a few years back. 300 spine. The stiffest in the bunch was 310 the weakest was 340. So at that point even by design in program all 12 of them arrows would be weak.

Again please don't take offense it's just information that is not being taught in general any more

Comment

No offense taken at all. I absolutely agree the bow/arrow systems need to be tested due to component variations you mention. Most of the time if I'm close on spine, broadhead/bareshaft tuning seems to go smoother with less change from factory recommended centershot. I agree that perfect shooting form can overcome less than perfectly matched systems, but we're typically striving for the most forgiving setup.

Comment

OP, I shot the Gold Tip XT hunter 300's with a 100 grain brass insert and a 125-135 grain head at 27" long and had no problems tuning.. But know Ive gone to a Black Eagle Deep Impact 400 at 26" long, with a 100 grain outsert and a Slick Trick 150 grain head..Total weight is around 500 grains and an FOC of 22.5% at 239 fps..

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning48 View Post
              OP, I shot the Gold Tip XT hunter 300's with a 100 grain brass insert and a 125-135 grain head at 27" long and had no problems tuning.. But know Ive gone to a Black Eagle Deep Impact 400 at 26" long, with a 100 grain outsert and a Slick Trick 150 grain head..Total weight is around 500 grains and an FOC of 22.5% at 239 fps..
              Thanks Lightning. More good data points. How was getting the 400 spine to tune?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be working on that this weekend,going to get my cams synced tomorrow. .. Even shooting now,they fly great and I was stacking arrows

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning48 View Post
                  I will be working on that this weekend,going to get my cams synced tomorrow. .. Even shooting now,they fly great and I was stacking arrows
                  Awesome. Hope they fly straight for you this year.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks I appreciate that and you too..

Comment

Working...
                    X