What Do I Do? Long Story, HVAC Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JEG8233 View Post
    That's a step in the right direction. Now I hope they don't string you along while "sourcing" the new evap coil. And technically that would only take a phone call to their local distributor.

Can you post up pictures of the install to include the furnace n coil with the drain lines as well. That would help us identify any other potential problems with the retrofit.

Comment

Doesn't seem to be forming condensation at the moment but the blue is where it was and the red is where it's dripping

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a 5 ton. ****. One question. On the end I only see one larger flex. I hope there is another one. You should have at least two 18 inch flex for return. I can't tell by the picture. But from what min I can see. You have a very bad install.

You will always have problems on this system.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              This is a 5 ton. ****. One question. On the end I only see one larger flex. I hope there is another one. You should have at least two 18 inch flex for return. I can't tell by the picture. But from what min I can see. You have a very bad install.

What would the solution be?

Comment

What company, if you don't mind me asking. You can PM me if you like. I just finished dealing with FAHW (First American Home Warranty) on a claim, and after a week of their AC company selection screwing me over, I finally called and had FAHW do a cash option and hired my own company. The one they sent received authorization on Tuesday to change out the blown compressor, yet I didn't find that out until yesterday when I called FAHW and blew a fuse on them. The ones they sent out said every single day "we are waiting for approval, but if y'all want to just buy a new system, we can change it out today" and thought the heat would get them a new system install. Nope, I have a place to stay at, thank God...otherwise after a week of that, I probably would have given in and said "okay" which is what I'm sure most people do when it's 100* outside and the house is sweltering

Oh heck, I don't care, they tried screwing me over so I'll say who it was. It was Houston Air Comfort, out of Cypress.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                  What company, if you don't mind me asking. You can PM me if you like. I just finished dealing with FAHW (First American Home Warranty) on a claim, and after a week of their AC company selection screwing me over, I finally called and had FAHW do a cash option and hired my own company. The one they sent received authorization on Tuesday to change out the blown compressor, yet I didn't find that out until yesterday when I called FAHW and blew a fuse on them. The ones they sent out said every single day "we are waiting for approval, but if y'all want to just buy a new system, we can change it out today" and thought the heat would get them a new system install. Nope, I have a place to stay at, thank God...otherwise after a week of that, I probably would have given in and said "okay" which is what I'm sure most people do when it's 100* outside and the house is sweltering

Oh heck, I don't care, they tried screwing me over so I'll say who it was. It was Houston Air Comfort, out of Cypress.
                  I with warranty companies. And they are all like that. You can turn in the quote to them on a Monday. It will take till Thursday to make a decision. Then if approved they won't order parts till Monday. It's horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                    What would the solution be?
                    You need to look around and find a good Ac company.

You need to find a company that understands static pressure. If they do then they will or should be able to correct all duct work issue. Make sure they understand sub cooling/super heat. If they do then that means they understand the charging side.

If they do not then move on. It's going to be a long and hard process and not cheep. .

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post

Agree

Comment

Not sure about the coil that is in there, but I know on American standard and trane, they have a splash guard that is supposed to go in to prevent that problem. It may have froze up and while thawing leaked water out also.

Comment

Sadly, this is what happens when you mis-match equipment many times.

Like enewman said, you have duct issues, probably high static pressure, face velocity on the coil is excessive; this is what is causing the blow off. A 5 ton furnace should be able to run at 1750 CFM, most are rated for 1850 (or close to it) anyway nowadays (@ .5 static).

The best thing to do is to replace the whole system and have the duct remodeled as well.

Best case scenario (even with a new coil) is you will still have airflow problems (crappy duct), a cheap mis-matched system and a furnace that only has a usable life of 5 more years.

Find a company that sells quality and knows how to install it correctly, have them remodel the duct system and do a weatherization on the house. This will give you 15-20 years of trouble free comfort if done correctly. Buy the ten year parts and labor warranty as well, a variable speed motor can run $2500; well worth it to get the 10 year P&L.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                            Sadly, this is what happens when you mis-match equipment many times.

Like enewman said, you have duct issues, probably high static pressure, face velocity on the coil is excessive; this is what is causing the blow off. A 5 ton furnace should be able to run at 1750 CFM, most are rated for 1850 (or close to it) anyway nowadays (@ .5 static).

The best thing to do is to replace the whole system and have the duct remodeled as well.

Best case scenario (even with a new coil) is you will still have airflow problems (crappy duct), a cheap mis-matched system and a furnace that only has a usable life of 5 more years.

Find a company that sells quality and knows how to install it correctly, have them remodel the duct system and do a weatherization on the house. This will give you 15-20 years of trouble free comfort if done correctly. Buy the ten year parts and labor warranty as well, a variable speed motor can run $2500; well worth it to get the 10 year P&L.

I really have no desire to yank a brand new $5,000 system to install a $10,000 system as I have no way to recoup the expenses from the original install, so I hope it doesn't come to that.

Comment

Update:

The installers were at our house most of the morning swapping out the coil and air cabinet. The new setup has a factory splash guard they installed as well. They also kicked the fan back up to high speed. I had to leave for work while they were still at the house but I'll have a look at it tomorrow and snap a couple photos. Hopefully this will solve our issues, except now we definitely have a Frankenstein system with mismatched parts if that matters.

Comment

Did they tap the return duct in to the side (top) of the blower compartment? And as mentioned earlier, needs more return.

Comment

Working...
                                X