Correct to Kill (finally got pic up)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct to Kill (finally got pic up)

Wanna know the right the snake to knock-out? It looks just like this. I was weeding some beds in the yard while grilling when my retriever started growling and huffing. This guy was in the tall grass a few feet behind me.
    Attached Files

Compared next to that rake that darn thing is huge!

Comment

Isn't that just a water snake?

Comment

Water snake? I know you're just being funny.

Comment

I let just about every snake walk but that one looks way too much like a cotton mouth. I would think that it would dull more by that age.

Comment

That's a huuuuuge ......

Comment

Good point friend. With the naked eye, it had exactly the same look as a dark pine tree branch. The camera flash brought out the underlying skin pattern and colors.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                Water snake? I know you're just being funny.
                No, I am actually being serious. That is a diamondback water snake. The head is a dead give away.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                  Isn't that just a water snake?
                  I think I stand corrected. I think Bone is correct, that snake does not have the typical stump tail either of a cottonmouth.
                  Last edited by quackaholic1; 04-22-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                    No, I am actually being serious. That is a diamondback water snake. The head is a dead give away.
                    And for my defense, the viper fangs viewed afterwards were also a giveaway. Ignore the skin pattern the flash in the camera brought out. I grew up catching water snakes on Lake Houston and keeping most a couple weeks. Had to release everyone because they never ate while in my captivity.

Agree to disagree. Good Luck to you either way. I still think you're trying to pull my leg.

Comment

Yeah I'm with bone on this one looks like a diamond back water snake. They can be mean as heck though just not poisonous. The head and the tail are what jumped out at me

Comment

Water snake

Always in the tanks on the ranch

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                          And for my defense, the viper fangs viewed afterwards were also a giveaway. Ignore the skin pattern the flash in the camera brought out. I grew up catching water snakes on Lake Houston and keeping most a couple weeks. Had to release everyone because they never ate while in my captivity.

Agree to disagree. Good Luck to you either way. I still think you're trying to pull my leg.
                          Google is your friend! The head is a dead giveaway that it is not a cottonmouth!

Comment

Water snake or not, looks close enough to water moccasin for me to kill it!

Comment

Head of a cottonmouth

Head of a diamondback water snake

Comment

Working...
                              X