Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default Experimental ďdietĒ

Curious if any one else has tried this. Iím not reading any books, using any apps or counting points or doing portion control or limiting when I eat. The only control measure is that I have started eating only natural things. If it runs, flies, swims, or grows, I eat it. If not, I donít. No processed food and no man made anything. Iíve done some no-carb type diets in the past that are somewhat similar but far more limiting, and although they work initially or temporarily they fail because they constantly remind you of what you want but canít have.

Been trying this for the past 7 days as an experiment. So far it seems like it might be more sustainable, because (1) Iíve made up the rules for myself LOL, and (2) I sort of already believe it will work. I experienced the relentless sugar and carb craving on the 3rd day but made it through and now my appetite is becoming more predictable.

I snack when and how much I want but even that is beginning to taper off. The most surprising result though is that my acid reflux has all but disappeared. I was taking Zantac daily with Tums or another Zantac as needed. Havenít needed to take anything since Jan 5th. Alertness has improved and the intensity of anxiety has decreased. Granted any weight loss is easy right after the no holds barred food shoveling that happens over the holidays, but I am down 8lbs in 7days. I expect that to taper off pretty quickly based on previous ďdietingĒ, but the difference is that I am currently not doing any portion control or limiting when I eat.

I had a physical right before Christmas and will use that bloodwork and other info as my baseline. Iím going to go get bloodwork done again at the end of the month and then quarterly just to see what changes happen.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties
Default

From the way it sounds, sounds like you’re going the Paleo diet route.

A clean and healthy sustainable way of eating.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

This ^^^. Good luck.



I like convenience too much to stick to just about any diet.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
dhillis
Ten Point
 
dhillis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aransas Pass
Hunt In: Aransas Pass, San Marcos
Default

Did something similar last year and felt so much better. I fell off that wagon though.
dhillis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
Man
Pope & Young
 
Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Casper,Tx
Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
I have started eating only natural things. If it runs, flies, swims, or grows, I eat it. If not, I donít. No processed food and no man made anything.
This is what I have been doing for about 6 months now...and throw in organic and no farmed fish/seafood of any sort. I have come to my own conclusion that all these chemicals going into animals, and all the processed,preserved foods are what is causing cancer in so many people. I have to slip up occasionally but I still feel the amount of all that crap that I don't put into my body compared to others has been a big benefit.
The one big thing I have noticed after starting this and having to slip up and eat some fast food or a can of soup every now and then....is how salty it is!!
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
If it runs, flies, swims, or grows, I eat it.
Not trying to be a wise ***. What does this mean? All the food I can think of contains at least one of these three things. Processed foods (Sausauge, chips, etc...) contain all these things. Are you saying no more seasonings? Are you ditching alcohol too?
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Not trying to be a wise ***. What does this mean? All the food I can think of contains at least one of these three things. Processed foods (Sausauge, chips, etc...) contain all these things. Are you saying no more seasonings? Are you ditching alcohol too?

Basically ditching processed food. Beef, venison, chicken, ducks/turkeys/geese, fish, shrimp, crawfish, lamb, wild and domestic pork, all veggies, all fruits, all grains as long as they are in natural form, etc. are all ok. No flour, bread, sugar....havenít decided on cheese but have been avoiding it in general, no salad dressings that contain anything except oil/vinegar and seasoning, no chips or really anything that comes in a box or wrapper, not sure yet on canned fruit/veggies but probably will avoid those too. Nothing fried or wrapped or coated in anything. I still use seasoning though that is probably more salt than needed or intended. Basically go crazy in the produce and meat section with natural grains if you want. Seasoning without sugar or msg ok but thatís about it.

For example, this weekend we made chili. 3lbs venison, onion, garlic, and yes dammit beans, cumin, chili powder. Thatís it. No cheese, no chips or crackers. I wolfed more than any diet with portion control would allow but everything that was in it was a natural item. Hard boiled eggs, sushi/poke, grilled/baked/smoked animal, fresh veggies and fruit, jambalaya, dirty rice, carne guisada, asado de puerco, venison stew, stuffed peppers, these ****** venison meatballs my wife makes with tons of black pepper, man!. Tons of awesome stuff to make to shovel into my fat face but none of it has a processed or man made ingredient.

Iíll eat the hell out of some rice but I donít really like oatmeal or other grains. I had a guy at work tell me Iím not allowed to have rice LOL. Oh really? If I do Iím not following the whatever diet. Donít care, itís an experiment that I am admittedly making judgment calls on certain things as I go.

And yes on alcohol. Probably the one thing that doesnít fit the plan but also the one thing that in moderation wonít be my undoing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
....is how salty it is!!

Iíve started to notice a lessening desire for salt as well. We had steak last night and I normally out salt on mine even though I grill them with seasoning. Didnít want salt and didnít even notice until after Iíd eaten half of it.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
grizzman
Pope & Young
 
grizzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas
Default

Sounds similar to what I started in August. I got off track during the holidays but back on. It's hard to find some alternatives, but for the most part did. I still take half and half in my coffee though.

I have a physical in October and my numbers were the best they had been in several years, especially triglycerides and overall cholesteral. HDL and LDL still need a little bit of work, but the doc was happy with my results.

Hardest part for me was cutting out sodas. But now it isn't a big problem. I had headaches for the first couple of weeks but was fine after that.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
grizzman
Pope & Young
 
grizzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas
Default

I also lost 32 lbs in less than three months. I gained back 10 over the holidays but have shed half of that.

This diet was given to me by a surgeon that is going to do a hip replacement on me later this year. I just need to shed some more weight before that happens.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Basically ditching processed food. Beef, venison, chicken, ducks/turkeys/geese, fish, shrimp, crawfish, lamb, wild and domestic pork, all veggies, all fruits, all grains as long as they are in natural form, etc. are all ok. No flour, bread, sugar....havenít decided on cheese but have been avoiding it in general, no salad dressings that contain anything except oil/vinegar and seasoning, no chips or really anything that comes in a box or wrapper, not sure yet on canned fruit/veggies but probably will avoid those too. Nothing fried or wrapped or coated in anything. I still use seasoning though that is probably more salt than needed or intended. Basically go crazy in the produce and meat section with natural grains if you want. Seasoning without sugar or msg ok but thatís about it.

For example, this weekend we made chili. 3lbs venison, onion, garlic, and yes dammit beans, cumin, chili powder. Thatís it. No cheese, no chips or crackers. I wolfed more than any diet with portion control would allow but everything that was in it was a natural item. Hard boiled eggs, sushi/poke, grilled/baked/smoked animal, fresh veggies and fruit, jambalaya, dirty rice, carne guisada, asado de puerco, venison stew, stuffed peppers, these ****** venison meatballs my wife makes with tons of black pepper, man!. Tons of awesome stuff to make to shovel into my fat face but none of it has a processed or man made ingredient.

Iíll eat the hell out of some rice but I donít really like oatmeal or other grains. I had a guy at work tell me Iím not allowed to have rice LOL. Oh really? If I do Iím not following the whatever diet. Donít care, itís an experiment that I am admittedly making judgment calls on certain things as I go.

And yes on alcohol. Probably the one thing that doesnít fit the plan but also the one thing that in moderation wonít be my undoing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice. And beans should be in chili, so you're good there! I would suggest, if you need chips, get plantain chips. A little salt on them and they are very good. We make ours ourselves.

Good luck, I hope all goes well!
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #12
Agdog
Ten Point
 
Agdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosharon, Tx.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Nice. And beans should be in chili, so you're good there! I would suggest, if you need chips, get plantain chips. A little salt on them and they are very good. We make ours ourselves.



Good luck, I hope all goes well!


Sweet potato chips are pretty good when homemade as well. I used to be very good about no processed food and no sugar. Iím almost ready to eat clean again. Good luck to you!
Agdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

lmao.... All I can do is laugh at that title.

Someone trying to lose weight and says Experimental and DIET.. Both won't last long
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #14
Trevor73402
Eight Point
 
Trevor73402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern OK
Default

Just curious here.....the people that have problems with “soda”, why not just switch to diet or one of the “zero” options? They have zero calories, zero carbs, and you can even get caffeine free if that is what you are trying to get away from. I realize they are full of chemicals....no way around that other than just not drinking them. I’m very healthy and in extremely good shape, but I still drink 2-4 caffeine free Coke Zeros per day. Mainly with my meals. I very much dislike drinking water with my meals.

*** As for taste, I honestly prefer Coke Zero over regular Coke. Same for Diet Dr.Pepper versus regular. The real version is just way too syrupy/sugary for me.

Last edited by Trevor73402; 01-07-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
adam_p
Ten Point
 
adam_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pilot Point
Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Just curious here.....the people that have problems with ďsodaĒ, why not just switch to diet or one of the ďzeroĒ options? They have zero calories, zero carbs, and you can even get caffeine free if that is what you are trying to get away from. I realize they are full of chemicals....no way around that other than just not drinking them. Iím very healthy and in extremely good shape, but I still drink 2-4 caffeine free Coke Zeros per day. Mainly with my meals. I very much dislike drinking water with my meals.

*** As for taste, I honestly prefer Coke Zero over regular Coke. Same for Diet Dr.Pepper versus regular. The real version is just way too syrupy/sugary for me.
Why not just drink water?
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #16
Trevor73402
Eight Point
 
Trevor73402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
Why not just drink water?
I drink water all day. I just don’t drink it with my meals. I prefer something with taste with my food. I think you may have missed the entire reason for my post. Many people have a hard time giving up Coke, Dr.Pepper etc......you don’t have to give them up. Just switch to a diet version. Zero calories. Zero carbs.

Last edited by Trevor73402; 01-07-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
Jtrage
Eight Point
 
Jtrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mckinney
Hunt In: Cherokee County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Just curious here.....the people that have problems with ďsodaĒ, why not just switch to diet or one of the ďzeroĒ options? They have zero calories, zero carbs, and you can even get caffeine free if that is what you are trying to get away from. I realize they are full of chemicals....no way around that other than just not drinking them. Iím very healthy and in extremely good shape, but I still drink 2-4 caffeine free Coke Zeros per day. Mainly with my meals. I very much dislike drinking water with my meals.

*** As for taste, I honestly prefer Coke Zero over regular Coke. Same for Diet Dr.Pepper versus regular. The real version is just way too syrupy/sugary for me.
I just went from Dr. Pepper to nothing. I never have liked the taste of diet and feared that if I tried to get off the other with diet that I would like it. I usually just have water. Every once and a while I will have a Dr. Pepper.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
BobbyJoe
Eight Point
 
BobbyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cypress, TX
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

Sounds like the Whole30 with a few minor differences.
BobbyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #19
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Most "diets" will work if you stick with them. What you are doing is similar to how I have been eating almost the last ten years.

When I got done playing ball after college I tried several different approaches, this has been the easiest for me. It has worked for years.

I meal prep all my meals, basically just a meat, vegetable, and adjust carbs and fats depending how strict I am, If i am trying to get really lean I will ratchet down, basically cut out "cheat meals" and alcohol. But even if I am lax on the diet, like around the holidays, I do not drink soda or ever eat fast food. I basically eat the same just more, and I may have a cookie once in a while or some chocolate.
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #20
Gclyde28
Eight Point
 
Gclyde28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Default

I like this "diet" as well. Could be basically the paleo diet or if you are including full fat dairy in your diet it would be the primal diet. I try to stick to something along these lines as much as possible but am admittedly the worst yo-yo dieter in the world. Good luck!
Gclyde28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #21
glen
Pope & Young
 
glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Georgetown
Hunt In: anywhere
Default

Hope it improves your overall health. I eat similar to this when I'm not traveling around with my kid. Hard to when eating out.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #22
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

**** flex might have a cookie every once in a while little over achiever. :-)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #23
ctom87
Eight Point
 
ctom87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Nolan County
Default

Interesting. Those Genetic tests said that I'm like 80% nordic. I thought about going on a nordic-type diet, full of fish and stuff, but then said no too much hassle. Would be interested in seeing how a diet of what your ancestors ate would work out for people.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #24
doublearrow
Ten Point
 
doublearrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Midland, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Just curious here.....the people that have problems with “soda”, why not just switch to diet or one of the “zero” options? They have zero calories, zero carbs, and you can even get caffeine free if that is what you are trying to get away from. I realize they are full of chemicals....no way around that other than just not drinking them. I’m very healthy and in extremely good shape, but I still drink 2-4 caffeine free Coke Zeros per day. Mainly with my meals. I very much dislike drinking water with my meals.

*** As for taste, I honestly prefer Coke Zero over regular Coke. Same for Diet Dr.Pepper versus regular. The real version is just way too syrupy/sugary for me.
I have bad reflux, and dr who did scope recommended I give up cokes. A year later i had a check up appointment. For the whole year i did not drink cokes. Three or 4 days leading up to the appointment i had 1 diet caffeine free coke for lunch for the 3 or 4 days. Not drinking cokes didnt affect my reflux and thats all that was left at the lodge at the ranch i worked on. As soon as the dr looked down my throat he said dont drink another diet caffeine coke, it looks like you were drinking battery acid. He knew instantly just by looking. Ive been scared of those things ever since if he could tell after drinking 3 or 4.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #25
JB_Archery
Four Point
 
JB_Archery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona
Default

I probably eat 90% all natural but do still take in dairy products in moderation... the good thing with all natural is any activity you do manual labor, working out or running your body will burn right through those foods! Good luck man!
JB_Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #26
6.5CM
Eight Point
 
6.5CM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Benito
Hunt In: Starr County
Default

My resolution is to eat clean and drop some weight, it’s only been a few days but I feel a lot better.
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #27
TP3
Ten Point
 
TP3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dripping Springs, TX
Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
**** flex might have a cookie every once in a while little over achiever. :-)

Hey when you give a Galveston 8.5 a piggy back ride across the bay in front of her boyfriend you deserve a cookie.
TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #28
TxAg
Pope & Young
 
TxAg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DFW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Just curious here.....the people that have problems with “soda”, why not just switch to diet or one of the “zero” options? They have zero calories, zero carbs, and you can even get caffeine free if that is what you are trying to get away from. I realize they are full of chemicals....no way around that other than just not drinking them. I’m very healthy and in extremely good shape, but I still drink 2-4 caffeine free Coke Zeros per day. Mainly with my meals. I very much dislike drinking water with my meals.

*** As for taste, I honestly prefer Coke Zero over regular Coke. Same for Diet Dr.Pepper versus regular. The real version is just way too syrupy/sugary for me.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...739512,00.html

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ad#weight-loss

Last edited by TxAg; 01-07-2019 at 07:41 PM.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #29
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Well I am pleased to report that things are still going well. Now down 11.5 lbs since Jan 1. Going to make an appointment for bloodwork next week to see what changes if any to cholesterol and other stuff have happened (if the cost isnít too high).

Biggest changes are that my appetite has decreased by about half and I can go for hours after the first feeling of hunger and still have plenty of energy. At first I was eating all day long, whatever whenever and however much I wanted. My energy level has evened out considerably and I just donít feel the urge to eat. Meat, veggies, and tons of fruit. Rice whenever we make something that is good with rice. Thatís about it. Not overdoing salads or grilled meat either. Have nearly purged all sugar from the diet except what comes from fruit.

Last weekend I also finally admitted to myself that I have been abusing alcohol and so I made the decision to cut that out. Iím just done with how it makes me feel and how I act when I drink. No alcohol will keep the weekends from going out of control so I expect the metabolism to pick up a bit and have more continuity from Friday to Monday.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #30
CamoQuest
Ten Point
 
CamoQuest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Robertson County
Default

Just a suggestion on having bloodwork done, but if you are paying out of pocket you might wait a while longer. When I started eating differently, it was recommended I wait at least 6 weeks to have bloodwork redone, and preferably 8-12 weeks. You’ll see some changes fairly quickly, but some things take longer for your body to adapt to. Our insurance pays for the labs as part of our health incentive package, but not all do.
CamoQuest is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #31
deerplanter
Ten Point
 
deerplanter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beach City
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Well I am pleased to report that things are still going well. Now down 11.5 lbs since Jan 1. Going to make an appointment for bloodwork next week to see what changes if any to cholesterol and other stuff have happened (if the cost isnít too high).

Biggest changes are that my appetite has decreased by about half and I can go for hours after the first feeling of hunger and still have plenty of energy. At first I was eating all day long, whatever whenever and however much I wanted. My energy level has evened out considerably and I just donít feel the urge to eat. Meat, veggies, and tons of fruit. Rice whenever we make something that is good with rice. Thatís about it. Not overdoing salads or grilled meat either. Have nearly purged all sugar from the diet except what comes from fruit.

Last weekend I also finally admitted to myself that I have been abusing alcohol and so I made the decision to cut that out. Iím just done with how it makes me feel and how I act when I drink. No alcohol will keep the weekends from going out of control so I expect the metabolism to pick up a bit and have more continuity from Friday to Monday.
Good job sounds like you going in the right direction, just a little FYI. When a person stops using alcohol they will start craving sugar so you may want to keep some honey or hard candy around to curve the cravings.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #32
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoQuest View Post
Just a suggestion on having bloodwork done, but if you are paying out of pocket you might wait a while longer. When I started eating differently, it was recommended I wait at least 6 weeks to have bloodwork redone, and preferably 8-12 weeks. Youíll see some changes fairly quickly, but some things take longer for your body to adapt to. Our insurance pays for the labs as part of our health incentive package, but not all do.


Thanks for the info. I looked it up and it was $274 without insurance. Walgreens has a home test where you ***** your finger thatís cheaper but it sounds like my science experiment might be more expensive than I thought.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #33
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

Congratulations to you in every way. Seems to me that you have chosen to take charge of your health by choosing a lifestyle more than a 'diet'. Wise choice! It is unarguable that the modern western diet is contributory to many [ most ] of the health issues faced today. You may find that as you choose more nutrient dense foods that not only do your health markers improve but you become more attuned to your bodies needs. This begins an upward spiral to continuing better health, even better diet and fitness awareness with resultant improvements including continually higher energy levels, mental clarity, libido , better sleep...and the list goes on.

The down side is you may find eating at restaurants makes you feel yucky many times. Your body will become more sensitive to lower quality food. Come to find out the ingredients and sauces and such used to make food ' taste good' aren't really that good for you.
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #34
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young
 
Graysonhogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Savoy, Texas
Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
Good job sounds like you going in the right direction, just a little FYI. When a person stops using alcohol they will start craving sugar so you may want to keep some honey or hard candy around to curve the cravings.
This. When I was a drinker I never ate sweets. Once I quit, it was on like Michelle Kwan. "Craving" is an understatement. I quit drinking and smoking, and sugar is by FAR harder(for me). I still have hail with it...
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #35
gmac
Ten Point
 
gmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hunt County
Hunt In: Hunt County
Default

For those of you doing this type of diet do you not eat bread at all?
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #36
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac View Post
For those of you doing this type of diet do you not eat bread at all?


For what Iím trying to do, if it doesnít exist naturally, I donít eat it. So no bread or anything related to it. No sugar, but honey is ok. No bread, no cookies, etc is easy. No tortillas is dang near killing me though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #37
popup_menace
Pope & Young
 
popup_menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: El Campo, tx
Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac View Post
For those of you doing this type of diet do you not eat bread at all?
Bread only at certain times for me. If Iím running hard or really getting after it one day, Iíll allow myself the carbs. I also love pizza, so Iíll get some every once in a while.

Iíve found after two years of bouncing between primal and Keto type lifestyles that it takes me 20-30 days of clean eating and hard workouts to see solid results. My next goal is 45 days clean to see what it does. The tough part is that migraines tend to creep up when I go a little overboard on training.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #38
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
This begins an upward spiral...

That is a great way to describe how I feel lately.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #39
HogHunter34
Ten Point
 
HogHunter34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Whitehouse, Tx
Hunt In: Anderson County
Default

Congrats on the diet plan. Many will say a diet is best sustainable if you throw in a cheat day. Is this something you do or are you disciplined to maintain your plan at all times?
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #40
txpitdog
Pope & Young
 
txpitdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Congrats on the diet plan. Many will say a diet is best sustainable if you throw in a cheat day. Is this something you do or are you disciplined to maintain your plan at all times?


In similar diets in the past if I did more than a single cheat meal, cheat day became cheat weekend, which lasted from Friday after lunch all the way until I crashed Sunday night with a belly full of queso and 8 beers.

So far the thing I like about how this is working out is that it isnít focused on what I canít have. Itís focused on all the natural foods that I can eat and the fact that if I want to shovel my fat face with as much of those as I want, itís all good. Iím discovering that even with doing this my appetite is decreasing significantly with much longer lasting energy.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #41
jds247
Ten Point
 
jds247's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bridge city Texas
Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county
Default

Congrats on your progress.. I started eating better about 6 months ago. I woke up one day and decided I didn't like how the alcohol made me feel. I quit drinking beer cokes sweet tea etc. I don't put sugar in my coffee anymore.. I eat mostly meat and veggies.. I also do a couple 18 hour fast when I work nights.. I'm down 35 lbs got off 2 blood pressure meds .. unfortunately it didnt do much for my cholesterol.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #42
Mastro
Ten Point
 
Mastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Been doing something similar since NYE. I coined it my “Harvesters diet” .. lol. Basically there is just one rule - Except for cooking, you have to eat things as close as possible to the state in which they were harvested. For example, grilled meats, raw/cooked vegetables, fresh fruit, whole nuts, etc.. Eat nothing that comes in a box or a can or a bag on a grocery shelf...I also take a cheat day every so often though..
Mastro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #43
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

So your eating FOOD, good job. We often times confuse the crap 99% of the world eats, with FOOD.
And your not paleo, that's good imo, paleo leaves a lot of good healthy stuff out.
Also, your gut health, has a huge impact on your overall health, and aides you greatly in weight loss.
Diet drinks (all of them), either inhibit, or kill good bacteria in your gut, and create a multitude of problems in your gut.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #44
popup_menace
Pope & Young
 
popup_menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: El Campo, tx
Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
So your eating FOOD, good job. We often times confuse the crap 99% of the world eats, with FOOD.
And your not paleo, that's good imo, paleo leaves a lot of good healthy stuff out.
Also, your gut health, has a huge impact on your overall health, and aides you greatly in weight loss.
Diet drinks (all of them), either inhibit, or kill good bacteria in your gut, and create a multitude of problems in your gut.
You raise a great point with the gut health statement. My stomach can normally handle one cheat meal/day. But after altering my diet to more Whole Foods, I will start having all kinds of issues if I fall off the wagon for too long. Iíve gotten to the point that I push myself to see how long I can go without wanting any junk. Iíve found that more often than not a portion of rice can feel like a cheat enough for me and Iím good to go for a while.

Focusing on the positive parts of your lifestyle will be a great reinforcement as you go, and youíll notice that over time your body will reject anything that doesnít fall in line with your new diet
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #45
HogHunter34
Ten Point
 
HogHunter34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Whitehouse, Tx
Hunt In: Anderson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
In similar diets in the past if I did more than a single cheat meal, cheat day became cheat weekend, which lasted from Friday after lunch all the way until I crashed Sunday night with a belly full of queso and 8 beers.

So far the thing I like about how this is working out is that it isnít focused on what I canít have. Itís focused on all the natural foods that I can eat and the fact that if I want to shovel my fat face with as much of those as I want, itís all good. Iím discovering that even with doing this my appetite is decreasing significantly with much longer lasting energy.
Ok. Just stay away from the tortillas lol
Iím pretty disciplined too. I followed the keto plan very well for awhile. My wife & I are starting a plan and exploring more of a long term sustainable one as we move forward. Thanks for sharing
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #46
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

I have problems making bad choices after 7 so I will chew gum seems to help.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 03:41 AM   #47
Robert
Eight Point
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Decatur TX
Default

The Push diet works ......Push your self away from the table. 35lb down so far.
Robert is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 04:09 AM   #48
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
For what Iím trying to do, if it doesnít exist naturally, I donít eat it. So no bread or anything related to it. No sugar, but honey is ok. No bread, no cookies, etc is easy. No tortillas is dang near killing me though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^ These items above and avoiding sodas are the biggest challenges folks should take on. The longer I eat Keto style diet the better I feel. Eggs with anything I want in the morning and half an avocado. Big salad with nuts, avocado and a meat protien for lunch. If I eat dinner it's usually something from off the grill...
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #49
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Is the McRib processed?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #50
bowhuntvideo
Ten Point
 
bowhuntvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Is the McRib processed?


No. Itís extruded


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowhuntvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com