Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard
Default What did I do to my wagyu??

Ok letís start by saying that I was skeptical from the beginning about this. We were walking the Tomball farmers and saw a tent selling wagyu beef. So needless to say I stopped by and bought 2 large bone in ribeyes. They were vacuum sealed and once I got them home and opens the package I got excited. The marbling and the color was great. The steaks felt super tender. When you bent the meat you could see the fibers separating. I felt like I could cut the raw steak with a fork.

I fired up the pit. Got it all set up like I typically do. Direct heat, as hot as I can get it. I cook my steaks about 5-7min per side and then move them to indirect until done the way I like. I have it down to a science and can consistently achieve medium rare steaks this way.

I put in the wagyu steaks and 2min into it the pit was flaming up like crazy! I had to move the steaks to indirect and finish the cook like that. Fire kept flaming up like crazy anytime the stakes were put on it.

I took the steaks off and let them set. Warm pink center. Plenty of clear juice. I cut into the steak and they had a similar consistency to sirloin. They were tougher than I was used to with standard ribeyes that I typically get. I was expecting them to be more tender.

So I think one of two things happened.........

Either I cooked them too hot and all the fat in the meat cooked out making for a tough steak

Or...........

I got ripped off by some goober at the farmers market.

What do you guys think???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

I don’t cook a ton of wagyu, I usually buy it at heb every couple months. I pick the steaks with the most marbling and haven’t had an issue. I do indirect heat and finish over the coals for a sear. I cooked one for my father in law for Father’s Day medium well, and sampled it, it was still fork tender and juicy. I’m not sure you can screw it up. Lol
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

I'm pretty sure you got ripped. Same happened to me and I didnt like the taste or consistency. I will stay with ol tried and true steaks.
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Kansas City Steak
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

My wife and I eat char rare. Catches on fire more char. 1 minute per side on a thick steak. I know sounds gross. I also don't cook until room temp.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

If it aInT wAYgU iT aInT sTeAk
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
Kansas City Steak
Yup
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I have to say, I don't know how in the world you guys cook with a raging HOT fire. I do steaks with as small a fire as possible. And I only put the steaks on a wood fire after there's ONLY charcoals left. And for me 5-7 minutes per side is a burnt steak!

Now since I started cooking steaks on a griddle, I do crank up the heat a bit and let the griddle get very hot before dropping the steaks on. A little butter and throw them on the griddle for 3 minutes a side (for everyone but mine, I don't flip mine. 3 minutes is plenty and on one side for mine).
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

Quote:
Kansas City Steak

What do you mean by this??

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #10
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I have to say, I don't know how in the world you guys cook with a raging HOT fire. I do steaks with as small a fire as possible. And I only put the steaks on a wood fire after there's ONLY charcoals left. And for me 5-7 minutes per side is a burnt steak!

Now since I started cooking steaks on a griddle, I do crank up the heat a bit and let the griddle get very hot before dropping the steaks on. A little butter and throw them on the griddle for 3 minutes a side (for everyone but mine, I don't flip mine. 3 minutes is plenty and on one side for mine).
I do mine on the Egg at 500 degrees - 70 seconds per side............
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #11
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Probably longhorn steaks
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #12
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

I don’t cook a steak for 5 minutes TOTAL, much less per side....
TacticalCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #13
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I had some 2 inch prime ribeye tonight, you are not cooking them 70 seconds per side unless you want raw steak. I cooked them 4 min per side over a very hot fire, then I moved them over indirect heat for 15 minutes, resulted in a perfectly cooked medium rare steak. To the OP, I think you got taken.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #14
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

I’ve looked at a lot of farmers market steaks and I’ve never bought any. They’re expensive, which I would expect for good steaks, and never look as good as I can get at the big HEB stores. Haven’t seen a wagyu booth at the tomball market but its been a few months since we’ve been.

As for the side conversation, my wife prefers thick filet so it goes on first 2.5 minutes each side then move to indirect. I’m a strip or riibeye guy. Once I move her’s to indirect I might give it 2-3 more min before I put mine on. 2.5 min on each side for mine and both come off at the same time to rest. That usually gets them both somewhere between rare and med-rare depending on thickness.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Flea Market Wagyu?
RLB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

OP you may have had horse

If you don't mind telling, what did they cost?

I am super skeptical of anything like that
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #17
JonW
Six Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

I had a Wagyu chuck eye from them (Wagyuru out of Jackson Co Iím assuming) for the first time last weekend. It was great.

JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #18
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

Or...........

I got ripped off by some goober at the farmers market.

What do you guys think???

I have ordered steaks a couple of times from Chicago Steak Company and had it shipped in dry ice. There are surely plenty of other steak places for high end choice, prime or wagyu and so on.

The steaks that I have ordered (not wagyu) have always been very tender and juicy and I do them on cast iron, not over coals. I think done right, it should not matter as long as you know what and how you are supposed to be cooking. There are plenty of ways to get a good steak.

Looking at Chicago Steak, their American Wagyu shows two 12oz Ribeyes delivered for $159. Knock off the 3 days shipping, you are probably looking at about $60 for a 3/4 pound steak.

Allen Brothers shows their Wagyu shipped, four 10oz New York strips for $315. Discounting shipping, about $70 for a 10oz steak.

Not sure what you paid for the farmer's market steaks but I would be curious.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #19
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I see you used my wife's cookbook!

You overcooked those steaks by about 10 minutes
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #20
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

I bought a wagyu steer this spring. First Wagyu meat Iíve bought. From what Iíve found is that you canít cook it as long and hamburger meat has to be stirred almost constantly to keep from burning in the skillet. Iím thinking you over cooked it by a long shot.

Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #21
drbonner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Everybody talking about how long they cook them, but only one man has said a temp.

I agree with SS. It doesn’t take a raging fire to cook a steak. It also sounds like some of you prefer raw meat too.
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #22
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Sounds to me like you got ripped off to me. Cooking them hot and fast wouldn't have made them any tougher. Steaks are supposed to be cooked hot and fast. When I say hot and fast, by grates are about 700 degrees. For cooking steaks, a set of aluminum grill grates makes ALL the difference in the world. I go 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, flip. 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, move to top of the cookmore to get it off the grates. It'll sit there another minute or 2 until they get to an internal temp of about 122ish. Once they hit that they go into a piece of foil, pour a little clarified unsalted butter on them, then wrap and rest for about 8 minutes. I was just thinking about doing a write up on steaks like it did for brisket a few years ago.
Attached Images

TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #23
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Thick fillet high heat 4 - 5 mins per side is usually a perfect medium rare on my grill.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #24
powderburner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

over cooked it.

Less heat and shorted time. They meat has a lot more fat throughout the meat. Normal steaks have fat on the outside and can take a high hot long style...
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #25
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
Sounds to me like you got ripped off to me. Cooking them hot and fast wouldn't have made them any tougher. Steaks are supposed to be cooked hot and fast. When I say hot and fast, by grates are about 700 degrees. For cooking steaks, a set of aluminum grill grates makes ALL the difference in the world. I go 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, flip. 1.5 min, turn 90 degrees, 1.5 min, move to top of the cookmore to get it off the grates. It'll sit there another minute or 2 until they get to an internal temp of about 122ish. Once they hit that they go into a piece of foil, pour a little clarified unsalted butter on them, then wrap and rest for about 8 minutes. I was just thinking about doing a write up on steaks like it did for brisket a few years ago.
Nice grill, you make it ?
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #26
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
Nice grill, you make it ?
Thank you, and Yes sir! Cannon Pits and Fabrication
TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #27
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Typically I do 7 mins per side with medium fire on propane grille. I like medium. My wife likes well done, no pink, but I go just past medium with hers, and she likes it the way I cook it. If we eat out though she always gets well done.

Thick fillets though, I always had trouble cooking. I now use a grill thermometer and get the grille to 550į and cook til desired internal temp. turning, I cant remember , need to look at notes.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #28
JHT
Pope & Young

Did you buy any of the Cuban cigars he was selling?

How did they taste?
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #29
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:

I agree low and slow.

OP - the Wagu has a lot of marbling and fat on it so a high heat will create flames every time and make it tough. Also, the more you flip and move steaks, the tougher it gets. For med-rare (more on the rare side) I cook my steak 2-3 minutes on each side unless the heat is lower then I'll cook 5-10 minutes. I also check with a meat thermometer. For medium steaks I cook 5-7 minutes on each side.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #30
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

As evidenced by the WIDELY varied ways folks cook steaks, it's pretty obvious it is really hard to mess up a steak!
Old 06-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #31
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
I donít cook a steak for 5 minutes TOTAL, much less per side....
Yep, i think this is OP problem.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #32
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
As evidenced by the WIDELY varied ways folks cook steaks, it's pretty obvious it is really hard to mess up a steak!
Haha!!!! This is true.
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #33
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Jordan, was the guy you bought them from a big ole guy dark hair and kinda sasquatchy with the hair? Could have been wearing something with LSU on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
those look tasty and Im digging that grill!!!
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #34
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

High heat over mesquite coals....3 minutes per side on a 1.5" bone-in ribeye for a nice med rare with a dark (but not carbon) outside. I could not fathom cooking a steak for 14 minutes. I don't even cook hamburger that long.

If gas, I go to 500 and do 4 minutes per. Gas over 500 on my Weber tends to get flamey and burns up my "grate seasoning"...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #35
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

you guys need to get on the reverse sear train.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #36
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I guess I'm going to be "that guy"...

Souse Vide and a pear burner... just sayin'
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #37
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Go to Schmittys on Mahaffey for a helluva ribeye. It's hand cut to order and all CAB. They're the best steaks I have found.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #38
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectxag06 View Post
you guys need to get on the reverse sear train.

This. I haven't take the cover off my charcoal burner in a while, and the last time was to cook meat other than steak.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #39
Leemo
Ten Point

3 things needed for a great steak
1) excellent meat
2) bring completely to room temp
3) Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Unsalted Butter

How you cook it is your business
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #40
Boss Buck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephen Co.

He said he beat his meat!
Boss Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #41
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

For the best steak I hear you cook it in a plastic bag in water.

NOT!!
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #42
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

First problem most of you have is cooking by time. You cook to a temp. Time means nothing unless you are baking. Variables that all go against cooking by time. Thickness of steak, cut of steak, quality of steak, temp at grill, etc. You can't tell me cooking at 1" thick rib-eye at 600 on each side for 2 minutes is the same cooking a 3" filet at 400 for 2 minutes. Get a good instant thermometer and learn your grill. Cook at a set temp over time and you will learn a rough time of how long before you need to start poking steak for internal temp. I ruined a many a steak before buying a quality thermometer. It has help me tremendously.
Take Dead Aim is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #43
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
What do you mean by this??

https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/wag...tyle-kobe-beef

Please give a 4 pack of ribeye a try
Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #44
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
For the best steak I hear you cook it in a plastic bag in water.

NOT!!

Have you ever tried a properly cooked sous vide steak?

Key word being ďproperlyĒ
Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #45
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
First problem most of you have is cooking by time. You cook to a temp. Time means nothing unless you are baking. Variables that all go against cooking by time. Thickness of steak, cut of steak, quality of steak, temp at grill, etc. You can't tell me cooking at 1" thick rib-eye at 600 on each side for 2 minutes is the same cooking a 3" filet at 400 for 2 minutes. Get a good instant thermometer and learn your grill. Cook at a set temp over time and you will learn a rough time of how long before you need to start poking steak for internal temp. I ruined a many a steak before buying a quality thermometer. It has help me tremendously.

I'm gonna bet that most of the folks that cook by time above know their grill and when to adjust depending on cut of meat. Probably basing the time on the cut of meat the OP stated specifically. I know I did....I even included the width in mine..

I have some nice insta-read thermos for my smoker (Thermopops/pens etc)but never reach for them cooking over mesquite or gas. Old timer taught me the thumb to fingers trick for checking steaks and its been pretty good to me and others I know that use it...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #46
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Again every steak cooks different. Themapen saves a bunch of guess or in your case comparing your thumbs and fingers to steak. Most that posted in this thread said a set minutes per side without mentioning temp. That is not good advice as there are multiple factors missing in that formula.
Take Dead Aim is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #47
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
I guess I'm going to be "that guy"...

Souse Vide and a pear burner... just sayin'
Nooooooooooooo
critter69 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #48
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Nooooooooooooo

Iíve used a torch before

Yes, itís fantastic
Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #49
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Have you ever tried a properly cooked sous vide steak?

Key word being ďproperlyĒ
He probably has if he's ever eaten at a high end steak house, but didn't know it.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:44 PM   #50
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
He probably has if he's ever eaten at a high end steak house, but didn't know it.

That Sir, is a fact that most do not realize