Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
akstigo01
Eight Point

Default Merchant Service Salesman

I know everyone despises the credit card sales pitch but it is a necessity for businesses. If someone can save you a few hundred dollars a month and thousands throughout a year why not hear them out. I am considering giving it a try and have already been offered a position with a few guys. Its going to take some getting used to that's for sure. Anyone here in the business? Just trying to talk my way through it before going fully into it.
akstigo01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

With Square, and stuff like that, I'd think this would be an obsolete service.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
With Square, and stuff like that, I'd think this would be an obsolete service.
Kinda my thought. There's so much DIY out there now that I would think it would be hard to make a living doing it.
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
akstigo01
Eight Point

Looks like the problem with square is the cost. If you do a small amount then square is the way to go but if you do a larger amount then from what I see square and others will cost you quite a bit more.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
Charles
Pope & Young

What are your fee's compared to square?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

I did lots of research before setting mine up a few weeks ago. I ended up with Square. It's hard to beat their rates and it's very simple to use.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Did it for a few months as a side gig 4 or 5 years ago in college. Made decent money for the amount of work I did but I was just focused on landing franchises/mom and pop shops. Got to the point where even I was getting under cut by square, pay pal, clover, revel, etc.

I don't think I could do it full time with how much I was constantly getting under cut
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstigo01 View Post
Looks like the problem with square is the cost. If you do a small amount then square is the way to go but if you do a larger amount then from what I see square and others will cost you quite a bit more.
This^^^

Plus is you try to run large purchases through Square they can get cranky.

They wanted three months worth of bank statements, I told them to pound sand....
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
akstigo01
Eight Point

Square's fees range from 2.65% to 3.4% depending on the transaction. If you do very little card processing or run a lot of very small transactions this is the way to go for sure as there are no other fees. However if you have a larger volume of transactions then going with another company would be cheaper. The percentage rates can be low enough to save enough money to cover the fees and save money. Plus with us you would get my cell number for service and to answer questions rather than a 1-800 number. Just a few things as I understand them.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Who are you going to work for and what machines will you be pushing ? I was in the business for a while on the terminal side. I’ll tell you one thing, it is a cut throat business. It still amazes me people lease the machines for hundreds of dollars a month when they could buy them for what half of a monthly payment.
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

When I first started my business in 2009, the CC companies charged me $35.00 a month whether I used them or not. They also limited me to $7K a month in transactions. I soon grew tired of the monthly costs and dropped CC usage. A couple of years down the line, I started using Square. I may not use them for 5 months, and I may use them 3 times a week. Rates are a little higher, but they have never given me any issue with larger amounts. Several jobs around $8k, and a couple of times I have had $30k transactions. No issues whatsoever.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top