Live in Rockport Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live in Rockport Area

Any one live full time or own a vacation home in Rockport or around there? Looking in to retirement options and possibly getting a second home there in the future. Looking for things to look out for or suggestions etc. Meeting with a realtor next week to show me around. Thanks all

My aunt/uncle have a second home in Key Allegro (Rockport). Awesome area but got hammered by Harvey

Comment

My parents were going to do this a few years ago but decided against it because taxes are really high in Rockport.

Comment

Second home there.

Taxes aren’t bad depending what you are use too.
        It’s the coast so maintance is never ending.
        From an appreciation stand point been a good investment.
        Local Sub contractors historically are in no hurry. Ironically it’s been better after the hurricane.

I don’t get to use is as much as I want due to work, but the day I walk... I will be smiling south bound 35

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          Second home there.

Taxes aren’t bad depending what you are use too.
          It’s the coast so maintance is never ending.
          From an appreciation stand point been a good investment.
          Local Sub contractors historically are in no hurry. Ironically it’s been better after the hurricane.

I don’t get to use is as much as I want due to work, but the day I walk... I will be smiling south bound 35
          That's funny, I watched some painters in Port A years ago and knew I would have never made a penny with them as my paint crew......we were there a week and they barely made headway and my crew would have had it done in a day, 2 max....

Comment

My aunt/uncle live there and my family is from Rockport. (The shell shop in "Downtown" is actually the old family drugstore) It's certainly a different pace but they love it. Huricanes and the coast maintnance is worth mentioning but seems to be part of the lifestyle for them.

My sister and I have been a few times since harvey to help down there and it's come a long way.... If we didn't have a 2nd place on Lake Whitney we'd probably be down there.

Comment

What is insurance like there ??

Comment

I live between Aransas Pass and rockport off bypass 35. My wife teaches in rockport and kids go to school there. Are you looking to live in town orget a few acres out of town?

I'm not on much right now so PM me with specific questions.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                  Any one live full time or own a vacation home in Rockport or around there? Looking in to retirement options and possibly getting a second home there in the future. Looking for things to look out for or suggestions etc. Meeting with a realtor next week to show me around. Thanks all
                  I built our place back in '01 and have watched continual growth since that time and believe it's still a great place. I wouldn't have a problem retiring there at all and hope one day it will be a option but feel it's a better place to visit as a second home while working and kids are in school. I have friends that moved there and some of the situations haven't turned out too well for multiple reasons.

I hear the common argument about maintenance but personally don't think its all that bad. Exterior paint is a little more frequent along with power washing and cleaning but if a home is constructed correctly with good materials, I have found it to be very little in repairs. My last AC unit lasted 15yrs which is about normal. Canal decks and boat lifts can be a issue but are also a choice to have. Taxes are about par with where we currently live.

Like anything recreational such as a ranch or land, there always some necessary work involved. Friends with land always have roads, brush, fence, etc on the "to do" list. Pick your poison. If your wanting super low maintenance regardless of location, buy a condo.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                    What is insurance like there ??
                    Wind is about to get ridiculous, but wasn’t terrible before

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

Wind is about to get ridiculous, but wasn’t terrible before
                      Source of this info?

Comment

I have a Chiropractic practice in Portland and over the years there have been numerous patients of mine that retired down here or had weekend homes and planned to retire down here that ran into the issue of quality healthcare. Not saying that Corpus doesn't have good doctors and hospitals but if you need specialized service, with cancer being the most prevalent, you will need to travel for quality care. Let's face it, as we age, we decline, and Rockport just isn't set up to handle the numerous complications associated with aging. Some of the best Doctors in the area stay so busy it may take over a month to get an appointment with them. I send all my surgical candidates to San Antonio or Houston for treatment. I'm certain this is true with many areas of Texas , but it's something to think about...

Comment

Thank you all for the comments

Comment

reviving this thread

Anyone currently thinking of buying in Rockport or who have recently done so want to share ideas? Insurance certainly is an obstacle. Currently have an offer in and trying to get his flood policy to roll over. This whole process is difficult. If we get this place we will rent it out but eventually would like to move here for retirement. Kind of a slow migration lol

Comment

Working...
                            X