Shipping Container Build, I hope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I just purchased my shipping container that I am going to use as a place to stay while at my lease. I have to make a few points, I always have ideas of grandeur but often times don't do what I think I that I am going to do.

As an example I have purchased three GoPro's with the intent that I would video my fishing adventures and make cool videos. Well I have tons of video time but haven't made any videos that you often see on sites like this or on YouTube.

Ok back to the container build.

I want to try and be as detailed as possible but not too detailed that no one wants to read (bad start already).

Here are my main points:

1. I want to document the entire process, because I often get on the DYI section and see all the cool things people do.

2. I see these cool projects and everyone always gives some really great numbers as it pertains to the build or cost of things and that adds fuel to my crazy ideas. So I am going to be as honest with everyone to the cost so that everyone has an idea of what to expect. I do not have unlimited funds nor do I have a true budget, I am just winging it but I know that I don't want to go overboard.

3. Last I want to take as many pictures as I can to keep everyone tuned in.

I'm pretty sure that I have other things but for now that is it.

By the way I just bought the shipping container this past weekend. It's a 40 footer that was built back in 2006. It is what it considered a "high" and also the extra "width" that allows you to get pallets that run side by side as opposed to staggered.

The cost for this was $3012.42, that consisted of the container, heavy duty lock box, and delivery cost to Huntsville, TX.

I hope that I don't bore everyone, and more importantly I don't start this thread and fail to update it.

Wish me luck.

Very cool! I dig shipping container houses. I would love to have 4 or 5 of them on some land somewhere. I'd build something like this...

Comment

In. My current obsession is shipping container homes.

Comment

Yeah if you look around there are tons of great pictures of different builds. Actually there is a house in the Heights here in Houston that is made of 6 or 8 containers. I think the appraised value of the home is about 1 million dollars. So if it is a combination of location and design they can be very very valuable.

Comment

Following

Comment

I have forgotten that I also purchased 4 railroad ties. If anyone needs them, most of the smaller hardware stores sell them, not Lowe's or HomeDepot but McCoy's, Sutherland, etc.

Be careful when you buy them, as they are sold as 8 footers but some are 8', some are 8'6" and some are 8'11". So make sure what you need when you get it and bring a tape measure to make sure that the ties are what they are and what you need.
            I needed the longest I could get since I purchased the wider container box, so I bought 4 of the 8'11" ties at Sutherland, the cost was 18.27 each.

Not having ever bought them before I was really surprised that they were only 18 bucks. However, after I purchased them my brother in law told me that you can find them for 5 to 7 dollars if you search Craigslist. So I went on and did a search for the Houston area and sure enough I found several post by people selling them for that range. So if I would have done a little more research I would have saved about 43 dollars plus the tax for that amount.

My daughter would have loved for me to use that 43 dollars to support her Vera Bradley collection... lol.
            Last edited by alwaysinshorts; 04-07-2015, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Following. I love these builds.

Comment

Sounds like a build with a ton of potential.

Following along.

Comment

in

Comment

I'm in. Where did you get the container? Was it a hassle to unload & place where you wanted it?

Comment

I'm in!

Comment

in

Comment

I built a 20-footer on a trailer for mobility. Mine it pretty basic as I only wanted a 20footer and didnt want to cut into the walls. I wanted no leaks or bugs.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...hlight=redneck

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions, I would reseach the insulation. I used closed cell foam, but it was expensive. Condensation can be issue on the steel walls when cold out and warm inside. A good vapor barrier is needed at minumum.

more pics.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I looked into the closed foam, I figured the square foot was about 1000 for the sides and ceiling and the do it yourself spray in was about 1300.00. Not sure I am going to spend that much as opposed to 500 for lay in type.

Have you seen much in the way of moisture? I have looked into the barrier and will most likely go that route

Comment

Originally posted by kevlarjohnson View Post
                              I'm in. Where did you get the container? Was it a hassle to unload & place where you wanted it?
                              I will have to get you the name of the place but there are lots of companies in Houston that sell them. 40 footers are the most common size so they are the best overall value. I haven't had it delivered yet, that will be this coming Saturday. From what the guy told me the unloading is pretty easy you just tell them where you want it dropped and they put it there.

I will like you guys know more then.

Comment

Working...
                              X