Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2011 - 12 Granger WMA Postcard Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don View Post
    hey guys. lots of folks have said there are lots of deer at granger but the harvest numbers from last year seem quite low. Any of you who hunt here, can you give me some info?
    I think most of us that have seen them and say there are lots, are the guys that are there alot hunting pigs. We can't do anything to the deer so we shrug them off and think nothing of them. I found it kinda funny that on another thread we would report " only saw 4 does and 2 bucks, no pigs".
    Team ME even posted "no pigs coming to the feeder, only deer."

There are deer there but you need to put your time in, I don't think a week is enough like on the drawn hunts to setup and get one if you havent been there on a consistant basis.

With that being said, man I hope I get picked!!! lol

Comment

A guy PM ed me some questions that I thought everyone could benefit from -

1 - any deer?
      2 - what kinds of starnds are permitted?
      3 - can a non-hunter accompany permitted hunter?

1 - lots of deer but they are pretty wise - lots of pressure on the place.
      2 - portable blinds and stands are not supposed to be in place more than 72 hours (to prevent turf wars). that being said- I bet you can find permanent blinds and feeders out there that the hog hunters have erected. Not supposed to be there though.
      3 - anyone can be out there anytime (except when the Area is closed for the special draw hunts). The only people who need to be permitted are the hunters. It would not hurt for a companion to wear hunter orange (actually only hunters are required to wear it - dumb - I know).

TREY

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
        I think most of us that have seen them and say there are lots, are the guys that are there alot hunting pigs. We can't do anything to the deer so we shrug them off and think nothing of them. I found it kinda funny that on another thread we would report " only saw 4 does and 2 bucks, no pigs".
        Team ME even posted "no pigs coming to the feeder, only deer."

There are deer there but you need to put your time in, I don't think a week is enough like on the drawn hunts to setup and get one if you havent been there on a consistant basis.

With that being said, man I hope I get picked!!! lol
        There are deer there for sure but like hog hunting there you still gotta get back in the thick stuff. Or should I say path least traveled.

Comment

Thanks for all the info Trey! my brother and i were drawn for the archery either sex hunt at granger this year. i understand these are two seperate hunts but still good info for me. Im pumped! First time ive been drawn for a hunt since i was a kid!

Comment

Awesome season Trey. I hunted the post card last year and was out there at least 6 days and very rarely saw too many other people out there. The deer are pretty elusive and run in decent groups with lots of eyes and noses. Also, get ready to walk and if you kill something, get ready to do a long drag.

Comment

Originally posted by captainmike View Post
              Awesome season Trey. I hunted the post card last year and was out there at least 6 days and very rarely saw too many other people out there. The deer are pretty elusive and run in decent groups with lots of eyes and noses. Also, get ready to walk and if you kill something, get ready to do a long drag.
              Aren't ATVs allowed to set up stands and retrieve game or am I thinking of a different WMA?

Comment

What kind of post card do you use? This whole thing is getting pumped up being my first year to bow hunting in almost 10 yrs. Anyone from the freeport area sending in? My son has been shotting everyday since we decided to send in for it.

Comment

ATV's

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                  Aren't ATVs allowed to set up stands and retrieve game or am I thinking of a different WMA?
                  Nope, not on the post card hunts - only on the special draw hunts

Comment

Originally posted by trouttracker View Post
                    What kind of post card do you use? This whole thing is getting pumped up being my first year to bow hunting in almost 10 yrs. Anyone from the freeport area sending in? My son has been shotting everyday since we decided to send in for it.
                    Any kind of post card - or just mail a 3X5 card in an envelope -

Comment

trouttracker My son and his GF are puttin in for it. We hunted it last year for about 4 days all we had shots at were bucks. If I remember right though we did see deer just about every hunt (am/pm). Let me know if you get drawn maybe we could do a truck pool or something? I'm in LJ also.

Comment

Thanks for all the info Trey. You saved me a phone call. I'll be sending out my card.

Comment

Next week is the deadline right? Wonder how long it will take to find out if you got drawn or not. Hopefully I will get drawn always out there for pigs and see nothing but deer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by huntnfishtex View Post
                            Next week is the deadline right? Wonder how long it will take to find out if you got drawn or not. Hopefully I will get drawn always out there for pigs and see nothing but deer!!!
                            i believe sept 21st

Comment

Can your name appear on more then one post card?

Comment

multiple cards with the same names.

Originally posted by trouttracker View Post
                                Can your name appear on more then one post card?
                                You're not supposed to - we look for that though - Derrick said he already threw out several - the extra ones that is - not all of them. Good try though. TREY

Comment

Working...
                                X