No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derrick, I might be able to make it then. Just have to see.

Comment

did it rain in the NF around new waverly?
      I cant stand it, im gona be in the woods saturday i got a need for porkchops.

is it october yet??????

Comment

yep, got rain in New Waverly

Comment

Im off the week of July 4th if anyone wants to hook up. I grew up in this area so I know some of the areas pretty good......

Damian ,,,, Im not seeing ANY activity in that area I told you about last season... I wonder if someone got big boy ...

Comment

I'm going to head out to the east side later in the day to do some scouting. This will be my first time out there in a couple years. Are we allowed to carry a handgun on us while scouting out there?

Comment

im headed out as well. gona be in the woods around 5:00. dont know about the pistol, unless you have a chl.

Comment

Man I need to make it out there soon! You are NOT allowed to carry in the forest unless you have your CHL.

Comment

I believe the only time and place you cant carry a pistol in the SHNF is during deer season, and in the ARchery only sections. You can hunt pigs year round, by any legal means, that would include a pistol. I'm pig hunting sir...Thats my story to the Game warden anyhow

Comment

Well I went out there and it was a pretty interesting trip. Made a mistake right off the bat and left all my maps and directions at home. So all I had was a old GPS from 1997 that had 1 coordinate in it. Well it got me to the spot (gate) my buddy took me to 6-7 years ago. Felt a little nervous walking out there un-armed and my CHL just expired... but I toughed it out and left the 357 in the truck.
                    Ended up seeing 4 does and a whole pack of yotes. Now the one time I have ever been in the woods without a weapon. I watch the yotes come out and fill up the trail (I took pic of first 2 that came out) Then all there little litters step out and the bigs ones spot me and all start walking my way slowly...I thought cool I can get some close up pics. Then they bolt full speed at me and I run like a manly girl. Finally found a tree that was climeable and hung next to it. They stopped around 30 yards from me, watched me for just a bit and then trotted back down the trail. I did see 4 doe but noticed on the way there that this gate/area is real close to a "hunters camp" area and has a rock road (in picture) so I think this area might be a heavily hunted spot when it comes season. Should I look for somewhere else?...off the beaten path?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Scouting

I would definitely look for a place that wasn't as close to a camp if I were you. Might be ok for bow season but you may risk alot of work only to find others have messed it up when the season rolls around - just my $.02 worth.

Comment

i pig hunted all evening over the ONLY water hole in the 2 miles of creek i walked. NOTHING. not even birds. i have the worst luck........... 100 degrees in a drougth and i cant finds critters at water.

Comment

I agree...going to look at map and look for some better hidden spots. Until then I think this will be a good spot to get my Yote mount I have always wanted to add to my trophy room. I am going to head back to this spot next weekend and try to take a yote with my 22-250.

Comment

good luck fishunter. a bow yote is high on my bucket list.

Comment

Ok so I'm going to head back next weekend with 22-250 rifle in hand, orange vest and orange hat, public hunting permit, general hunting licence, and Im going to sit on that same trail in picture and wait for a yote to step out. Is there anything wrong with this picture?? I think I have every rule covered down to a T, and I should be ok.

Also just looking at the pic of the deer I took above again...appears to be a yote behind the doe in that picture also...ha!

Comment

Originally posted by FISHUNTER View Post
                                Ok so I'm going to head back next weekend with 22-250 rifle in hand, orange vest and orange hat, public hunting permit, general hunting licence, and Im going to sit on that same trail in picture and wait for a yote to step out. Is there anything wrong with this picture?? I think I have every rule covered down to a T, and I should be ok.

Also just looking at the pic of the deer I took above again...appears to be a yote behind the doe in that picture also...ha!
                                sounds like your good to go, let us know how it goes, and take some pics if you can!

Comment

Working...
                                X