Car help question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car help question

so I have a 2014 chevy equinox and it tells you when its time to get the oil changed. once it gets to 20% it tells you its time to change oil. I waited till it got down to 1% and as soon as it hit 1% the check engine light came on. I don't know if it has anything to do with the oil% getting low but if I am at idol or at stop sign and barely start to go giving it gas it will sometimes die but I'm able to start it right back up. if I go in reverse and then go to drive it will bog down or sometimes die but again I can start it right back up and go. anyone know why it would be dying like this? seems like when my rpm's get low is when it happens. NO issues while driving at any speed as long as not in idle type position. if I'm sitting at light or stop sign and foot is on brake I have no issues its only right when I start to apply the gas pedal if that makes any sense. thanks for any help.

Man...I hate to ask this, but have you even looked at the oil on your dip stick??

You know you need to do this at least every couple times you fill up...your car's computer is simply a safety feature, not a mechanic. I don't know what is going on with your car & they can check the code, but man...I never pay attn to the computer for oil change. I watch my miles & color change when checking??

Comment

Take the car to an auto part store and get the code read

Comment

Bet it's almost out of oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          Man...I hate to ask this, but have you even looked at the oil on your dip stick??

You know you need to do this at least every couple times you fill up...your car's computer is simply a safety feature, not a mechanic. I don't know what is going on with your car & they can check the code, but man...I never pay attn to the computer for oil change. I watch my miles & color change when checking??
          This !!!!!

Comment

sorry to have left out that I got the oil changed as soon as it hit 1% and check engine light went off for a day then came back on and its when I really noticed the car starting to die.

Comment

Give us the code from a scan tool and we'll help you out. It's a PO***x number or more than one

Comment

I would be willing to bet the oil has nothing to do with the idle issue....
                Things I would check would be air filter, fuel filter, and then maybe do a throttle body cleaning.
                How many miles are on the car? Have you ever replaced the spark plugs?

Comment

the car has 42,000 miles. I am gonna take it tomorrow morning to get the code to see what it says and I will post it. thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                    Take the car to an auto part store and get the code read

This, and stop relying on that % oil life notice. Its only an estimated calculation based on the time you reset it. It can not sense if the oil is spent and needs to be replaced.

I initially did like you with my Travers, and would wait until I got down to the 20% life left. Then read an article where folks were needing to timing chains as they got stretched from not having good oil in the engine.

I just go ahead and get it changed after 3,000 miles driven. Trying to make this vehicle last a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWfirefighter View Post
                      so I have a 2014 chevy equinox and it tells you when its time to get the oil changed. once it gets to 20% it tells you its time to change oil. I waited till it got down to 1% and as soon as it hit 1% the check engine light came on. I don't know if it has anything to do with the oil% getting low but if I am at idol or at stop sign and barely start to go giving it gas it will sometimes die but I'm able to start it right back up. if I go in reverse and then go to drive it will bog down or sometimes die but again I can start it right back up and go. anyone know why it would be dying like this? seems like when my rpm's get low is when it happens. NO issues while driving at any speed as long as not in idle type position. if I'm sitting at light or stop sign and foot is on brake I have no issues its only right when I start to apply the gas pedal if that makes any sense. thanks for any help.
                      Check codes first but sounds to me like you have carbon build-up, Chevys require cleaning pretty frequently. Usual sets Mass-Air flow codes. If that's the case try the below

Clean your throttle body - Take air intake tube off of throttle body, spray a rag with mass airflow cleaner and wipe it till its clean.

Decarb engine helps too. Buy a can at auto parts store, Take a intake vacuum tube off, have someone rev RPMs to about 3K, slowly dunk the tube in the can to suck out the fluid. If it dumps smoke out of your tell pipe you are doing it right
                      Last edited by SCOTTexan; 07-20-2017, 03:32 PM.

Comment

you might as well have ben speaking Chinese Scottexan. I know how to change my battery ad thats about it. I know nothing about cars but I could just about do any kind of surgery on a human. lol

Comment

Originally posted by DFWfirefighter View Post
                          you might as well have ben speaking Chinese Scottexan. I know how to change my battery ad thats about it. I know nothing about cars but I could just about do any kind of surgery on a human. lol
                          You can go to Auto-zone and they'll hook up their scanner for you. Free of charge.

Your equinox, as most modern cars, has what called a ODB-II sensor. A repair shop has a reader they will connect to the senor, and gather information on what the issue could be. Essentially it assist with diagnosing the problem.

I have a small hand-held, so I can get the codes myself. It has helped me in determining if its a problem I can fix or if I need to bring it in.

Here is a video to see what it does:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSoiKulQ9vw] - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                          X