Ag exemption ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ag exemption ideas

The place we are supposed to close on a week from Monday is currently under an Ag exemption for cattle grazing rights.

I'd like to transition it to something else so I can fence to cows out but keep the good Ag exemption.

I'm thinking bees maybe. Anyone have suggestions?

If it's already in ag then I'm pretty sure you can move it straight into wildlife management exemption. Ask at the appraisal district . You do have to have a simple plan for habitat improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
      If it's already in ag then I'm pretty sure you can move it straight into wildlife management exemption. Ask at the appraisal district . You do have to have a simple plan for habitat improvement.
      I should have mentioned it's only 10.1 acres which might be a problem.

Comment

I think wildlife management would work well for 10 acres !

Comment

found this and am working my way through it.

Comment

are you planning on building on the property?

Comment

Mine was under a hay appraisal when I bought it...I switched it to timber. Yes, I've got a crazy amount of trees. Had to pay a guy $350 to write up a plan. It was worth it. Dunno how it was under hay.

If the OPs place has lots of open space, get a hay appraisal.

Comment

Not much open space.

I will build someday but it might be a year or more down the road.

Comment

Depends on your county but since you're already exempt you might be able to convert to wildlife.
                  I have about 11 acres in Brazos and not exempt so bees was my best choice.

Comment

FYI, I believe your farm/ranch related purchases at TSC and the like are not tax exempt under a wildlife exemption. That was some motivation for us to stay Ag.

Comment

OP, what county is it in?

Comment

Bees.

Comment

Lampasas county just outside of Lometa.

Comment

Do not talk with your appraisal district they are not your friend. Talk with your TPWD County Biologist first. In many cases they will even help you with the paperwork.

Comment

Buy 5 of 6 sheep to turn out.
                              They will help keep the brush down and are pretty easy to tend to

Comment

Working...
                              X