Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lease question

Hey everyone,
    I have an opportunity to get on a lease let me fill you all in. In Burnet county, 800 acre, total of six hunters, $1333 plus feed, bowhunting only during deer season. No livestock on it for the last three years. Three tanks two spring fed with bass fishing in them, 5 acre food plot, two protein feeders, family and guests hunt off paying hunter limit, elect. and water and old farm house needing repairs. They planted sunflowers last year in the front of the place trying to bring in dove and this place is year round use. Three spots open and one or two buddies will be looking with me. I have emailed one hunter on the place and spoke with one today by phone, both seem to be very happy with the place. I think my personality and theirs would work well together.
    Here is my hesitation, these hunters have been on the lease for five years and are trying to improve it and say it is getting better. They told me up front that before they got the lease it was a day lease and totally shot out? The one I spoke to said he sees deer at least every other time he has gone? He thought there was two bucks and four does taken this year he said he saw some bucks but not any he wanted to shoot this year.
    What do you TBH brothers and sisters think??? My only concern at this time is the fact it is a recovering day lease???

You may be spending $$$ to be on a place that isn't going to be what you are wanting in a lease, and to be helping the place recover only!

Comment

Last I talked to you, there was only 1 spot open, now there's 3? That wouldn't totally throw me off, but I would want to speak to the guys leaving to see why they are leaving. You told me they had 8, but are now reducing to 6, and there are 3 openings? That means that from last year, 5 people left the place. That's a bit scary to me, but the price for the acreage seems about right to me. I'll probably see you tomorrow at work, so we can talk about it then.

Comment

I would not walk....I would RUN ...As far away as possible from that place

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
          Last I talked to you, there was only 1 spot open, now there's 3? That wouldn't totally throw me off, but I would want to speak to the guys leaving to see why they are leaving. You told me they had 8, but are now reducing to 6, and there are 3 openings? That means that from last year, 5 people left the place. That's a bit scary to me, but the price for the acreage seems about right to me. I'll probably see you tomorrow at work, so we can talk about it then.
          This would be a wise decision!

Bisch

Comment

In that area even if the place was hunted hard it shouldn't take long to get it to bounce back. If you feed year round you will be amazed at the number of deer you will draw in from your neighbors. Talk to the other people on the lease and see what all the circumstances are and why everyone left. The price isn't out of line for what they are offering. Best of luck...

Comment

I think that is the place that used to be run by Oran Hill. Do a search on here for his name. When Oran ran it, it was overhunted and they ran cattle on it right before season opener. Maybe it's changed but be careful and fully research if this is the same place or not. The house needs more than repairs, it needs to be burned down and they need to start over.

Since I hunt very close by there, I can tell you the deer are still there. Having water is a very big plus and a good draw for deer. It may take a year or two for that place to recover but once it does you should see plenty of deer. Probably no trophy deer but plenty to fill your freezer.

Like I said do your research on it. May take a couple of years to get it back to where it should be. I would love to have a few out there who won't shoot anything that moves. I haven't shot a buck in a few years because I'm trying to let them grow up but still didn't see anything older than 3.5 this year. Got a 9 pt 3.5 on my property this year and watched him all season. Saw him during the extended season so I know he survived general season. I'll be feeding protein all summer and hoping he shows up next year. He will not get a pass from me next year.

Can you ask him if you can put out a trail cam or two for the next couple of weeks to see what you see before deciding?

Comment

If it has hogs and you have access year round it sounds pretty good too me. For the fishing and hogs if nothing else. Of course I'd rather bass fish or hunt hogs than deer...Van

Comment

Bassmatt72 did you get on that lease in Burnet. I hunted there last year. May have ya some info if you like?!

Comment

Working...
                  X