Good way to add arrow weight on the cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good way to add arrow weight on the cheap

I was doing some research online about magnus stinger 150 performance on elk and ran across a good tip on another forum.

.243 bullets are the perfect diameter to fit inside of a gold tip shaft. They are readily available in a variety of weights including 100 grain. You just glue it in place behind the insert.

Warning! If you attempt to install it from the nock end, use a slow setting glue. Otherwise you get a bullet stuck where the nock goes. Don't ask how I know.

It would be best to install them when the insert is installed but can easily be done after with the right glue. I'd suggest scoring the bullet just a little.

You can buy a box of 100 for the same price as 12 brass inserts.

Thanks for sharing! That's a sure way to save some cash!

Comment

Great idea. Just to add to your thread. The rubber that is used to secure screens into their frame is a cheap way to add mass to an arrow also. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying the weight tubes.

Comment

Good tips!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Those are both awesome ideas! And those weight tubes are pricey, wish I'd seen that too before

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

I've always used aquarium tubing instead of the manufactured "weight tubes". I cut them the full length of the shaft (minus point insert and minus inserted portion of the nock) so they don't slide back and forth inside the shaft. I also have to put a SMALL drop of super glue on the nock or it can blow them out when the arrow hits (same thing with the manufactured weight tubes).

Comment

Currently experimenting with adding weight to carbon arrows. Saw where Buff was stuffing his arrows with weedeater string for his Africa hunt. Easy to gain a couple hundred grains of weight using .095 trimmer line. Carbon shaft will hold 3 pieces. Working on front of center (FOC) weight next. Dr. Ashby's research is compelling.

Comment

A chief advantage of the bullets over weight tubes is FOC. You should be able to get as much weight as could be desired. I'm not sure whether or not you can have too much FOC. If so, that's where tubes would come in handy.

Comment

You can also use a 1/4in set screw in a gold tip. Adds 100gr. I know it works in a 55/75 but not sure about a 35/55. Screw it into the front of your arrow and then check the seating depth of your insert. Repeat until the insert seats all the way onto the arrow shaft. I found this to be quite cost effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhawg View Post
                        You can also use a 1/4in set screw in a gold tip. Adds 100gr. I know it works in a 55/75 but not sure about a 35/55. Screw it into the front of your arrow and then check the seating depth of your insert. Repeat until the insert seats all the way onto the arrow shaft. I found this to be quite cost effective.
                        I like it. Do you need any glue or is the friction on the threads enough to hold it in place?

Comment

I didnt use any glue. Probably should have. I think it was a 1/2in long. I will weigh some at work tomorrow and see what the grs. turn out to be for a few different lengths.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                            A chief advantage of the bullets over weight tubes is FOC. You should be able to get as much weight as could be desired. I'm not sure whether or not you can have too much FOC. If so, that's where tubes would come in handy.
                            Only problem is you get to a point where you weaken the spine to much. But according to things Ive read there really isn't a such thing as too much FOC. The difficulty is getting the right shafting thats usable with that much weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightowl View Post
                              Only problem is you get to a point where you weaken the spine to much. But according to things Ive read there really isn't a such thing as too much FOC. The difficulty is getting the right shafting thats usable with that much weight.
                              Agreed. You can only cut an arrow back so much before you have to got up in spine.

Comment

Working...
                              X