Not to miss, Yellowstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to miss, Yellowstone

My wife and I are going to Yellowstone in late September. For those of you who have been there, what are less touristy things not to miss seeing in the park? Not afraid to do a little hiking.

Thanks for your input,

Dr. Evil

You’re going at a good time. It’s busiest July - August. We were there a few years ago. The most beautiful place I’ve ever been. I’d go back in a second.

The wildflowers were in bloom when we were there, mid-Julyish there’s a lesser traveled road on the north side called Blacktail Plateau Drive that had beautiful rolling meadows with wildflowers. I doubt the wildflowers will be there but it’s a lesser traveled path and very peaceful.

Don’t miss the Yellowstone Grand Canyon and falls. amazing! We hiked it and still talk about it.

There’s wildlife everywhere. You can make the visit as challenging as you want. Stick to the roads or mix in some day hikes. Tons to see. We spent a week and stayed in a couple different areas and had an adventure every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I really enjoyed the roosevelt lodge.

Comment

My wife and I flew into Bozeman. Rented a car. Stayed first night in Bozeman then headed to the north entrance. Called ahead each day and stayed in lodges inside the park. First night at Mammoth Springs. Awesome trip. Go on down to Jackson Hole and spend at least one night there. Had a ball. This time of year you likely won’t have trouble getting rooms in the park but you need to call ahead.

Comment

Going in or coming out, don't miss the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyo. It's worth the trip !

Comment

See the Lamar valley. If I remember right, thats what its called. We hiked around to see the wolves and we did.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Going in or coming out, don't miss the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyo. It's worth the trip !
              X2 really worth it. Then take the Chief Joseph scenic byway from Cody to the Northeast gate of Yellowstone its worth the drive also. That will put you at the Lamar Valley lots of wildlife also.

Comment

Not to miss, Yellowstone

We went last May..... INCREDIBLE!!!! Like another planet. We actually liked the east side of the park better than the west. The east is more rivers, lakes, hills and valleys. The west side is all the stink pots which is cool but u seen 1 you’ve seen them all (to me). Yellowstone Grand Canyon is awesome. We stayed in Gardiner, Mo and Jackson Hole.
                We thought Grand Teton National Park was awesome too.
                PM me I’ll give u my number and we can talk about it.

Search:
                Road Trippin..... heavy pics !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Come into the park from the north and see the original entrance and the North portion of the park. I think it sets up the dramatic differences between the areas really well.

The lamar valley is amazing, hike the slough creek trail and if you have a fly rod bring it alone. Great trail, wildlife everywhere and nice trout to catch.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                    See the Lamar valley. If I remember right, thats what its called. We hiked around to see the wolves and we did.

This. Find a trailhead, grab the bear spray and binos and get to hiking.

If you are near Gardiner, MT make sure to soak in the boiling river.

Swimming at firehole is good but cooler.

The wildlife in the valley is amazing. Greatest vacation of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                      Your right, the Lamar Valley is where the Druid Pack of wolves stays. One of my favorite parts of the park. Just down from there is a nice hike to Trout Lake. It’s a quiet hike, not many people go on it.

Go into Cooke City for lunch if your on that side of the park.

Comment

Working...
                      X