Towing With 4Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing With 4Runner

I have a 3500 lb RV. I have pulled it for many yrs with a Tundra with a towing capacity of 9800 lbs and a tow haul mode.

I recently bought my wife a 2017 4Runner 4X4. Its towing capacity is 5000 lbs with no tow haul mode.

I would like to tow with the wife's truck for shorter 200-300 mile trips in Tx to keep some miles off of my truck.

Has anyone towed with your 4Runner? How did it handle it and how much did it affect your mileage?

Thanks.

I did not have a 4 runner. But had a 4 door long bed 4x4 Tacoma with tow package.

Absolutely hated towing with it. Was anemic for power with my boats. First boat was about 2500lbs, second about 3200lbs. Struggled at highway speeds,fuel mileage was awful.

Another thing is the 4runner is a short wheel base. Don't want the tail wagging the dog.

It will pull it, but not great.

Sold the truck and towing was one of the main reasons why.

Comment

We had a 4-runner with the 4.7L V8 and pulled a 21' Kenner to the coast plenty of times with no problems.

Comment

Yea, my wife has a 4Runner that is not 4X4, and I've towed my boat and ATV/trailer with it. Neither of them would be more than about 2500# total... Not something I'd want to do regular... squirrelly suspension and under-powered for that task.

Comment

The 4runner motor/transmission combo is a pooch for towing. I wouldn't tow a log splitter with a 4runner. About all that hitch on back is good for is a bike rack or storage rack. Not to mention the possibility of the tail wagging the dog in a vehicle that small.

Kenner, I have never heard of a 4runner with a V8, and the current model is a 4 liter 6 popper. You sure you dont mean the Sequioa?

Comment

It will struggle on hills and such but as long as that does not bother you, it will definitely pull it. I would be more worried about having to stop quickly. If your RV has brakes and you install a controller in the 4Runner, then that should be fine too. Not the perfect tow vehicle, but from your post it looks like you now that, it should accomplish your goals

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              The 4runner motor/transmission combo is a pooch for towing. I wouldn't tow a log splitter with a 4runner. About all that hitch on back is good for is a bike rack or storage rack. Not to mention the possibility of the tail wagging the dog in a vehicle that small.

Kenner, I have never heard of a 4runner with a V8, and the current model is a 4 liter 6 popper. You sure you dont mean the Sequioa?
              There was a stretch where they made v8's. Ended around 09 I believe.

Comment

'06 models had available v8 options I believe.

Comment

We use a v8 '03 (I think) as a ranch truck, and it does a great job. Always has a trailer full of feed/water tank hitched up. Never drive it on the highway though, so I can't speak to that.

Comment

I pull my Ranger 570 twoseater on my 6x12 trailer with my wife 074runner with v6. I have to kinda position it on the trailer just right to keep it from squatting it too bad with our clothes and baby stuff when we go to the grandparents. Its a 120 mile trip, it's not too bad but I would rather use a bigger vehicle but that's just me used to hauling stuff with a 3/4 ton pickup. She has had interest in new 4runners and the towing capabilities seem a little better than her current one but I don't know if they are much more.

My only concern for you, and I get this sometimes with the ranger, but if it's windy that camper and SUV may catch a lot of wind. Her car gets squirrelly in a decent wind pulling he ranger.

But as far as actallly pulling it, the V6 does pretty good even with hills along the way. Stopping can be a chore sometimes
                    Last edited by BBReezen; 02-28-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

4.7 liter V8 was available from 2003 to 2009. Was a beast in that little SUV. We have the GX470 with same motor. Hauls azz. 271 hp at 4800 rpm with 315 lbf·ft of torque.

Comment

I've used my wife's 4Runner to tow my 22' blazer bay down to port Mansfield. It'll do 70pmh all the way no issues. I don't do that all the time but never any problems when I did. No hills down here so the only thing to contend with is the wind. Still not much issue at all. As far as mileage goes I don't pay much attention to that, Maybe a few miles per gallon difference. Fuel economy isn't great on them to begin with.
                        Last edited by stickman; 02-28-2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                          I've used my wife's 4Runner to tow my 22' blazer bay down to port Mansfield. It'll do 70pmh all the way no issues. I don't do that all the time but never any problems when I did. No hills down here so the only thing to contend with is the wind. Still not much issue at all. As far as mileage goes I don't pay much attention to that, Maybe a few miles per gallon difference. Fuel economy isn't great on them to begin with.
                          My wife's 4Runner gets around 400 miles on a tank of gas, when we pull the ranger it struggles to make the 240 mile round trip on one tank of gas . I haven't ever putthe numbers to it but it gets thirsty pulling the ranger

Comment

We have a ‘12 4x4 4Runner. I have pulled a 5x10 with a 4wheeler with no issues, plenty power IMO. As others said that’s about as much as I would do with it though.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                              I pull my Ranger 570 twoseater on my 6x12 trailer with my wife 074runner with v6. I have to kinda position it on the trailer just right to keep it from squatting it too bad with our clothes and baby stuff when we go to the grandparents. Its a 120 mile trip, it's not too bad but I would rather use a bigger vehicle but that's just me used to hauling stuff with a 3/4 ton pickup. She has had interest in new 4runners and the towing capabilities seem a little better than her current one but I don't know if they are much more.

My only concern for you, and I get this sometimes with the ranger, but if it's windy that camper and SUV may catch a lot of wind. Her car gets squirrelly in a decent wind pulling he ranger.

But as far as actallly pulling it, the V6 does pretty good even with hills along the way. Stopping can be a chore sometimes
                              Good info! I just got a 5th gen 4runner. Wish they still offered the v8. I nicked named my turtle ... still a solid and reliable vehicle overall.
                              Last edited by altez; 02-28-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X