Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supressor research

Where to start?
    Google shows a bunch if threads. None seem to answer my question.
    How do we quantify the "best"
    I want to buy/build a dedicated rifle.
    As of right now it'll be my pig gun.
    Under 200yds.
    I'm leaning to 300BO cause I can get factory subsonic ammo..

Also do you see muzzle flash?

Look up .277 wolverine. Better ballistics then 300bl and like 300bl it's just a barrel swap. Just got my barrel and waiting on SBR tax stamp to build it. I do not remembering seeing a muzzle flash. On 300bl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would love to have one for my .308

Comment

Short range you'll be ok with the BO, but no way would I hunt w/subsonic, especially going 200yds with it...not enough energy for good expansion.

I have a Thunderbeast 7, makes my 233 and 308 sound like plinking with a 22.

Comment

Got two 762-SDN cams and love them... as for shooting subsonic, I wouldn't expect kill range more than 70 yard. Better off shooting supersonic with Barnes black tips.

Comment

Lots of good choices ... here is my list:
            - Griffin Armament alpha
            - Griffin Armament Recce 7
            - Thunder beast ultra line
            - Rugged Surge

Comment

I know on Ear Protection they have a NRR. Noise reduction rating,http://www.coopersafety.com/noisereduction.aspx

Is there such a thing for suppressors?

I understand different calibers and different loads in those calibers will/can have different results.

Comment

I'm a fan of the thunderbeast. I have an old 30p1 that I shoot long range with and couldn't ask for a more repeatable system

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you need to take a different approach as when reading these forums guys like us know everything...

I looked at the following criteria with ranking of importance top to bottom but your can easily make a list that fits your needs.

Accuracy / Repeatability / Minimum POI change (all tied together)

Weight / Length (this may appeal to the women buyers more then the men...)

Decibel rating (some are quieter than others and at the range a few decibels is noticeable.

Price-they're all over priced but some way more than others.

QD mount or Direct thread-most can be had in either version.

30 cal, 6.5 or .223-caliber specific is quitter but a 30 is the most versatile to use on multiple rifles.

Local Availability-if you have to order it and have it shipped to your local dealer it could add 4-6 weeks.

I'm sure you could add to this list but this is what I used in this order of importance. I went with the Thunder Beast Ultra 7 with a QD mount. It will go on a light varmint profile 22 inch 22-250AI if it ever gets out of jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                    I know on Ear Protection they have a NRR. Noise reduction rating,http://www.coopersafety.com/noisereduction.aspx

Is there such a thing for suppressors?

I understand different calibers and different loads in those calibers will/can have different results.
                    Good luck. Most manufacturers use dB reduction that I have found. But they claim outrageous numbers, that I just can't see as possible. Like 30-40 dB reduction.

In reality, I have found about 20 db reduction max unless using subsonic. Sounds like you already know this, but get a suppressor specifically sized for your round. If you go with a suppressor for a larger round, less noise reduction.

As other have said, subsonic only good for about 50-80 yds.

Comment

Best advice I can give is to go to Silencer Shop website. They give you all the in/out of buying a suppressor as well as video's of actual the suppressor's in use.

Comment

I went with YHM. I judged them based upon customer service of a friend that had a baffle strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                          Google shows a bunch if threads. None seem to answer my question.
                          How do we quantify the "best"

The reason you can't find an answer to your question is because there is no answer. "The best" is different for everyone.

How do we quantify the best truck? Then the argument begins.

Do you want the best noise reduction? Do you want it at the muzzle or or the shooter's ear? Do you want the best POI repeatability? Do you want the best mounting system? Do you want the lightest? How about the shortest? There is no one can that does all of this well, because some of these things are contradictory.

Bottom line: decide what's important to you. Find a can that does *that* well.

Read, read, read.

Comment

Supressor research

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            The reason you can't find an answer to your question is because there is no answer. "The best" is different for everyone.

How do we quantify the best truck? Then the argument begins.

Do you want the best noise reduction? Do you want it at the muzzle or or the shooter's ear? Do you want the best POI repeatability? Do you want the best mounting system? Do you want the lightest? How about the shortest? There is no one can that does all of this well, because some of these things are contradictory.

Bottom line: decide what's important to you. Find a can that does *that* well.

Read, read, read.

This^^

"Best" depends entirely on what your planned use is. There is NO "best" in all categories. Here are some things to consider:

What caliber(s) do you want it for?

Will you use it for rapid fire - a.k.a. "mag dumps?"

Are you a precision shooter that requires the most repeatability possible, along with a minimum POI shift?

Are you shooting long range?

What type of mount do you want - direct thread or QD?

Are you only getting this one suppressor or are you planning to get multiple?

Come back with some info on what you want your suppressor for and people can give you recommendations on which ones will be 'best' for YOU.

FYI - www.CapitolArmory.com is terrific to deal with and they have great prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Horitexan; 11-18-2016, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I'm confused now.
                              Several have mentioned POI changes with a supressor.
                              How is my question?
                              The bullet isn't touching anything, is it?
                              My mind says if that's a concern just run a 30 cal can, it'll have a bigger hole..

Comment

Working...
                              X