Ditching 300 blackout for 6.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdmorrow View Post
    I’m sure this has been beat to death at this point but I figured I’d ask anyway.

I’ve been killing hogs and coyotes for a couple years now with 300 blackout SBRs, 8.2” Noveske barrels to be exact. While I’ve been effective I just feel that the power isn’t there. I’m shooting a max load with 125 GR SST’s

Looking to learn about 6.8. It seems like the hardcore hog hunters are all just about shooting that round and doing so very effectively.

My normal hunting situation is typically about 150 yards or closer. I’m using suppressors and thermals and want to stay at as short a barrel as possible. I do reload.

I understand a barrel change, plus bolt, plus mag is all that really needs to be changed to convert to 6.8. What else?

Any and all knowledge would be appreciated. Where to source parts, etc.

What kind of groups are you getting out of your 8.2 noveske barrel? I've currently got a 10.2 inch barrel but it hasn't been grouping great with subs. Not sure if it's just a subsonic sbr problem, or if it's a barrel problem.

Comment

I have considered going down to a smaller faster bullet. Any other options around 100-110 gr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot the VMax but wasn't happy at all. I had to track the couple of animals I shot with them. Barnes has given me almost 100% DRT kills with shoulder shots. And I get a pass through every single time.

The TAC TX was designed for reliable expansion at the lower velocities of the 300 blackout. I get just over 2300 fps out of my 8" Noveske barrel with my hand loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm a 6.8 fan. Mine is deadly shooting 85g Barnes TTSX. I have spent some time with my friends blk out and I'm not impressed except as a sub/suppressed defense weapon.

Comment

I get great accuracy out of the 8" Noveske. I can get clover leafs with it. I only shoot supers though. I may give the Barnes a try before I go switching anything around. I'm not married to any particular round. I just want a good trade off of light and compact with good killing power. Also it's always going to be suppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I've killed a boat load of pigs with my 300 blackout. I have much better DRT results using the Barnes 110 TAC TX than the SST or the ballistic tips.
            I have considered going down to a smaller faster bullet. Any other options around 100-110 gr?
            There is your answer right there. No better blackout bullet on the market for supers.

Instead of going to the trouble of swapping out barrel and such, I would just buy another complete upper and BCG with a couple 6.8 mags. I have too much fun shooting the 300 suppressed to not be able to do it.

Comment

Oh I intend to keep at least one 300 just for the sake of it I put so much into them but I have one I wouldn't mind changing out. May just do another upper though like you said. The one I have with the omega wouldn't be worth fooling with anyway because the omega is only warrantied down to 16" in 6.8 from what I understand.

Comment

Spend too much time and money on this one to tear it apart.

Comment

Once I burn through the rest of my 125 SSTs that I've got loaded up and I'll start experimenting with some lighter bullets. The barnes for sure but has anyone used any of the hornady 110 .30's? Specifically the 110 SP.

Comment

Shoot them hogs in the head and you can use almost anything (within reason) you want to kill 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by texaggie17 View Post
                      Shoot them hogs in the head and you can use almost anything (within reason) you want to kill 'em.
                      I know from personal experience that a .22 mag will not penetrate the top of the skull half the time.

I also know that a .30-06 shot at a pig head on can be deflected of the frontal slope of the skull.

Shoot them in the head from the side and I would use at least a .22 hornet.

Personally, I aim at the head neck junction. If I miss left or right I still hit head or spine and the kill area is almost as big as the heart/lung.

Comment

I like the neck shot on hogs but sometimes when they're running around you take what you can get. I just upgraded to a 640 thermal so I should be able to pull out a little more precision with the extra clarity.

Comment

I've got an omega and a saker. I know the saker is good to go. Anybody know the minimum length for a 6.8 sbr with the omega ?

I believe the spec is 16" for 6.8 w/ the Omega.

Comment

Love my Bison 6.8 upper

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Sold my 6.8 and went 6.5 grendel...much happier with the range and load all together

Comment

I've got an omega and a saker. I know the saker is good to go. Anybody know the minimum length for a 6.8 sbr with the omega ?

Originally posted by altez View Post
                                I believe the spec is 16" for 6.8 w/ the Omega.
                                16" is correct on the Omega. The Saker 762 is good to go on any barrel length.

I run my Saker on a 12.5" ARP SBR and a 8" Bison BSP Pistol (both are 6.8SPC barrels).

Comment

Working...
                                X