CWD found in panhandle whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWD found in panhandle whitetail

AUSTIN – A roadkill white-tailed deer collected by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department personnel on U.S. Highway 87 between Dalhart and Hartley has tested positive for chronic wasting disease. This marks the first discovery of CWD in a Texas roadkill and the first case in a Texas Panhandle whitetail.

“The roadkill was found along the border between the current CWD Containment Zone and Surveillance Zone, and as a result will likely necessitate a precautionary expansion of the Containment Zone,” said Dr. Bob Dittmar, State Wildlife Veterinarian with TPWD. “We do not believe there’s a need to expand the Surveillance Zone at this time.”

TPWD staff will present a proposal detailing the expansion of the Containment Zone during the TPW Commission’s Jan. 24 public hearing. The proposed expansion of the Containment Zone will not result in any new requirements for hunters or landowners unless they are engaged in a permitted activity such as moving live deer.

The disease was first detected in the Panhandle in 2015 when a mule deer buck tested positive during routine CWD surveillance.

Additional information about CWD is available on the TPWD web site

That sucks.

Comment

This should get fun quickly..

Comment

Is this the first positive test found this year?

Comment

I wondered if they tested road kill. We saw a road kill doe last month outside Hondo that was painted with orange paint. I assumed it had been tested?

Comment

I did see check stations up there a few weeks ago.

Comment

That's all I need now to go along with Antler Restrictions! Sheez!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                I wondered if they tested road kill. We saw a road kill doe last month outside Hondo that was painted with orange paint. I assumed it had been tested?
                I've seen some bucks with black spray paint and wondered
                what that was about.They were on 277 going to Bronte

Comment

Does that mean they will go kill every free range deer within a mile of where this was found?If it was in a high fence they would kill everything on the farm.

Comment

disgusting, thank you deer farmers...

Comment

Not that is matters but I thought the mule deer with CWD were found in West texas?

Comment

Makes you wonder how long it has actually been around and are we just now seeing cases because they are testing extensively...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post

you do know that Colorado game and fish started the ball rolling by shipping infected deer all over the western half of the US and into Canada???? Wasn't/hasn't been just deer farmers and high fence owners.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            It has been around long before high fences.....this statement makes you sound uniformed

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                              Makes you wonder how long it has actually been around and are we just now seeing cases because they are testing extensively...
                              been in existance since mid 60's when Colorados' wildlife research station at Ft Collins set the disease in motion...then spread infected deer around.

Comment

Working...
                              X