Spartan Race and Tough Mudder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spartan Race and Tough Mudder

In an effort to become a better hunter athlete,I have been working out the past few weeks.Im not anywhere close to where Id like to be,but moving in the right direction.I run 2 miles,(3 days a wk),mountain bike 10 miles(2 days a wk)and lift weights(5-6 days a wk).Anyway,my ultimate goal is two fold.1) At 43y/o Ive been lazy the past few years and just want to get back into fighting shape,and stay there.2)I want to start chasing elk in Colorado! I think setting fitness goals is paramount for success,but man,Sept is a long way off.SO in the meantime,Ive decided on signing up for the Spartan race,and the Tough mudder.Both events will be held in May of 2014.Have any of you run these races before?Would any of you be interested in putting a team together?

80% diet and 20% working out. I train year round for 10 days of diy public land colorado. My hunting partner and I are considering the Spartan race in may up in Bandera. You may also want to fallow some of Cameron Hanes ideas. I am 38 and my hunting partner is 41. Train Hard Hunt easy!

Comment

Im planning on the Super Spartan in Burnet(May 17).As a former professional fighter,I know what it takes to get into shape.At 43,married with children,a 40-60 hr/wk job,the difficulty is in application of that knowledge.lol

Comment

My wife did the Spartan Beast last year in Glen Rose..Trained for several months specifically for it but she's also a marathon runner...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman View Post
          My wife did the Spartan Beast last year in Glen Rose..Trained for several months specifically for it but she's also a marathon runner...
          Did she race as an individual,or part of a team?How did she do?

Comment

I completed the Tough Mudder oin Kansas this year. It was held in September and we started training in February. Ot is tough, but doable. I am 46 and completed it. Be prepoared MENTALLY as it WILL challenge you. We also completed a Rugged Maniac, which is a 5K, which was a cake walkcompared to the Mudder.
            The Mudder can be very challenging, 12 miles and up to 25 obstacles. be prepared for MUD, Ice Water, Barbed Wire, Climbing Walls, crawling through mud, going through tunnels, and lots of running in between.. Start abot 3-4 days before "Carbing Up" as your muscles will need it. Also, biuy some L-Glutamin (sp?) from GNC or a place like it. This will assist in reducing or eliminating the muscle aches the next day.
            I proudly display my Orange Headband in my Car DAILY.. It is one of the many things you will get upon completion.
            As far as wqorking out, you will need LOTS of Upper Body strength. If I was not moving to Michigan, I woudl join a team and participate again. The TEAM is the best way to go.

Good Luck

Comment

I'm 48 and did 2 tough mudders last year. It's not that bad. Cardio and upper body strength helps. Did the last one w/ a 22 yr old female and she cramped up real bad bout the 8 mile mark. I run 20-30 miles a week and try to watch my diet. There is always some one around to give you a helping hand if you need it. Having a team def helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Knocks View Post
                Did she race as an individual,or part of a team?How did she do?
                There was 6 or 7 of them as a team...She could have finished faster but they all stayed together and crossed the finish line as a team..She has taken more towards the mud runs and such and getting away from the half and full marathons..

Comment

Im in! Just register for the May 3 Mudder in Central TX. A buddy of mine from SA has committed, but we will see. I have dropped around 45 pounds since mid July. I am lifting 4 times a week and cardio 5-6 times a week. Nothing long distance (3-5 miles max), but been on stair mill etc just burning fat.

Im in for the team, even if it is just two of us! I signed up for the 10am slot on Saturday.

Comment

PM me if you want to hook up on it. I have 2-3 other buddies that are possible.

Comment

I'm starting with the Spartan Sprint this year. It hasn't been scheduled yet.

I have a teammate who is into crossfit and she's going to do the sprint with me and the super with her crossfit group.

I could use a couple more on my sprint team.

Comment

I've done 2 tough mudders. As stated cardio and upper body strength is key to this race. I had a buddy of mine do the Spartan race, he said it was so much tougher than the Tough Mudder can't give any more details on that but having done the mudder and it being a pretty grueling experience I can only imagine was the Spartan race is like.

I would definitely recommend jumping on a team as some of the obstacles are easier to complete with a buddy or two.

Comment

I've done the Spartan Beast. I'm doing the Super Spartan in Burnet in May. You're right, there's not a Sprint in Texas this year yet. I'll travel if need be to do it and get the Trifecta. I'm in for a team if one gets put together.

Comment

Working...
                          X