Roatan, Honduras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roatan, Honduras

Anybody been lately? I found a few older threads on it, just wondering if anyone has been recently. We’ll be headed there end of July.

My brother and his wife were going diving there once or twice a year. The airlines have jacked up the flights out of Houston to stupid levels. I know they have a trip planned but don't recall where they are going. I know they have been looking at Corn Island Nicaragua

Comment

Nobody left in Honduras.... They are all here at the border!!

Comment

I would really consider an alternate location.

Comment

Went a couple years ago. It’s great. Bring bug spray. The no see ems are brutal!

Comment

Everything I’ve been reading and heard so far is mainland Honduras is the area to avoid, not necessarily the island. However, we’ve never been.

Comment

Mainland

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
              Everything I’ve been reading and heard so far is mainland Honduras is the area to avoid, not necessarily the island. However, we’ve never been.
              Roatan is fine ! It’s mainland Honduras that is a issue

“ Oct 16, 2018 · Roatan is a beautiful island about 40 miles off the coast of Honduras. ... It is, in fact, much safer than mainland Honduras and feels infinitely safer than the U.S., if for no other reason than the total absence of a gun culture. Further, there is no evidence of significant gang activity or violence on the island.“

Comment

Like said, that warning is more for the mainland.

You should be fine. Been a couple of times and have never felt unsafe at any point. It is beautiful and very nice people.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadhender View Post
                  Went a couple years ago. It’s great. Bring bug spray. The no see ems are brutal!
                  Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  Roatan is fine ! It’s mainland Honduras that is a issue

“ Oct 16, 2018 · Roatan is a beautiful island about 40 miles off the coast of Honduras. ... It is, in fact, much safer than mainland Honduras and feels infinitely safer than the U.S., if for no other reason than the total absence of a gun culture. Further, there is no evidence of significant gang activity or violence on the island.“
                  Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                  Like said, that warning is more for the mainland.

You should be fine. Been a couple of times and have never felt unsafe at any point. It is beautiful and very nice people.

Any specific must do's? I am about to sign my wife and I up for diving classes here locally so we'll be ready to make the best of the underwater sights.

Comment

Roatan is island life. Cool. If you are interested in fishing or snorkeling or just renting a boat with guide let me know. I have a guys info. Loves the reef and fishing. There is also a small zoo in the neighborhood he lives in. Had a few monkeys and sloths. Would not vestige to go back. Find you a driver before you go. They are well worth it. Tell them you want some conch soup.

Comment

The Island people will tell you they don’t feel safe on the mainland. They warn you against it. Kinda like going to Belize mainland. No Bueno- Goto one of the islands and it’s a different story. Go and have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                        Any specific must do's? I am about to sign my wife and I up for diving classes here locally so we'll be ready to make the best of the underwater sights.
                        If you are a diver it is a must. Visit the West End and West Bay. We did a glass bottom boat that goes out to the drop off to what looks like the end of the shelf. Lots of fish and other creatures. If you can get a ride from a taxi or a tour to the top of the island, the view is amazing! The seafood there is amazing as well. We just enjoy the beaches. They are stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                          My brother and his wife were going diving there once or twice a year. The airlines have jacked up the flights out of Houston to stupid levels. I know they have a trip planned but don't recall where they are going. I know they have been looking at Corn Island Nicaragua
                          We were deciding where to go for our January trip and noticed the flights. At first I thought I made some mistake by the prices. Still plan to go. Wife's boss goes all the time, loves the diving.

Comment

I was there last month on a cruise ship excursion. Tourism is their #1 industry and they bend over backwards to make it safe for tourists. We did enjoy the Gaumbalimba (sp?) park for the capuchin monkeys. Getting around can be a pain as their roadways have not kept up with the volume of tourists. Overall I enjoyed our visit and would love to spend a week there.

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
                              I was there last month on a cruise ship excursion. Tourism is their #1 industry and they bend over backwards to make it safe for tourists. We did enjoy the Gaumbalimba (sp?) park for the capuchin monkeys. Getting around can be a pain as their roadways have not kept up with the volume of tourists. Overall I enjoyed our visit and would love to spend a week there.
                              Great to hear!

Comment

Working...
                              X