My summer plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Leftridge,

The deer are browsing the buckwheat, for sure. They are not just flat mowing it down (irrigated alfalfa across the fence), but there is plenty of evidence of browsing, if you look. Bad thing is that it is starting to wilt and may not make it through this next hot spell, I missed my last chance at rain for the next week or so last night. We have had rain all around, but just not on my plot for about the last 3+ weeks. If it burns out I may have to replant when we get rain. I am really liking it so far though, and I will definitely plant it a few more times to get a better feel for how it really works around here. One thing I like is that it is cheap, and a mistake or a drought doesn't break the bank.

Here are some pics of my plot.

Comment

Very cool, man.. Thats a great little spot you have there.. I wish I had some woods open enough for me to put a plot into.. Mine are all on the outside..

Anyway, looking good.. Hope you get some rain..

I finally decided not to replant because there is no rain in site.. I did spray round-up last weekend so it will all be dead and ready to plant for fall... Maybe I'll have better luck then..

Comment

nice work

Comment

Jeff

I like the fact that you actually have trees in Collingsworth County. On our place, trees like that are far and few between. Lots of mesquite and few good trees along the edges of the ag fields, but that is it.

Comment

That grove of trees is maybe 4-5 acres total, and the clearing wasn't always there. It has taken alot of work over the last 6-7 years to make it that way. It has only been the last 2 years that you could even get a pickup/small tractor in there, before that it was 4 wheeler access only. It is a funnel between bedding areas and ag fields though, so it works real well.

Comment

Nice looking plot. Congrats.

Comment

Nice plot!!! Are you planning on hunting over this plot, or are you gunna setup on the trails leading in?

Comment

I hunt over it, it is a kill plot not a destination plot. It is not a whole lot more than a trail itself. I have hunted in there for probably7 years or so. I have 5 treestands plus a couple of groundblind locations in there so I can switch things up according to the wind, time of day, where I have hunted recently and recent activity. Not all the locations are directly on the plot, some are on trails coming in or out.

Comment

looks good.

Comment

Working...
                    X