Which Macbook Pro for editing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Macbook Pro for editing???

Hey guys, I"m looking at getting a new Mac for the house. I wanted Mac, mainly for the Final Cut Pro and the Lightroom software.

Which Mac are you guys using that are editing with either of the above software?

I'm looking at the iMac 27" with 5K display, macbook pro 15.4" with Retina display, and macbook pro 13.3" with Retina...

Need a little help here!

I'm currently using a HP desktop with Adobe Master Collection.......

Mac is surely the way to go... I have both an 27 i mac and Macbook Pro 15... really my opinion here is based on whether or not you need to be mobile or not with your production.

Comment

Feel free to PM me with any other questions. I run a production company here in Houston and would be happy to lend and guidance.

Comment

Thanks for the info CircleTHD........I did send you a PM.

Comment

I have both. I quit using my iMac a long time ago. I prefer the mobile macbook pro at home. I would go with 15 if you are going to be using to edit. Thats my opinion. Good Luck

Comment

Okay, so i'm still debating the macbook Pro 15........but what specs are you guys using?

Core i7? 16gb ram?
            Discrete video card with dedicated RAM?

There are several different options and I'm looking to stay at $2100-$2300 either way I go, desktop or laptop..

Comment

Any! I've had them all from MacBook Pro17 to 11" MacBook Air. They all are nice. Bigger screen nicer/easier on eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
                I have both. I quit using my iMac a long time ago. I prefer the mobile macbook pro at home. I would go with 15 if you are going to be using to edit. Thats my opinion. Good Luck
                That's funny. I came here to recommend the opposite. I would go iMac over MBP any day, unless OP needs to edit on the go. I love screen real estate.

Comment

15 macbook pro, with an external monitor, does not have to be an apple cinema display. You can go with a mini HDMI.

Not the newest ones though, no upgradability. The SS Drives are now soldered in.

Unless you plan to keep all your files externally via drive or cloud the new laptop might be better. I still use my late 2011, with no problems. Internal 1tb SSD, maxed ram. I do backup externally every week. I am trying to move over to an external WD mycloud. Not sure how I like it yet. It has 8tb two 4's that save in parallel. I've subscribed to Adobe cloud, photoshop and Premier for video.

The external monitor is great for having your images while your tools are on you laptop screen. I do this with Nikon and the Hasselblad software, Phocus3. With an apple cinema display on the job. I will occasionally take an external monitor with me on location. But only if I'm going to shooting tethered and in one spot for a few days.

New HDMI displays are cheap. No reason to go with Apple brand. I think they are no longer making them anyway. They farmed it out to LG.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post

Hope this helps.

yes thank you......that's definitely information I can use. I have been looking at external monitors and you can pretty much spend what you want on those.

This is the Macbook I'm looking at getting....will this be sufficient for running Lightroom and Final Cut Pro X/ Adobe Premier? Keep in mind, my videos will consist of short, 10-15 minute video projects.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ma...d=abcat0502000
                    Last edited by RedbirdOutdoors; 01-20-2017, 01:16 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Yup, That would work just fine.

There are some Thunderbolt adapters that can be added if you need more USB ports and such. 512 SSD ram is good, just remember video chokes up a lot of storage. I just cleaned up 300 gigs on my laptop today. Dropbox is your friend, but don't forget to pay your yearly fees.

Comment

Working...
                      X