Protein Pellet Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Pellet Ingredients

Been feeding protein now a little over a year straight. Have one 1200 pound feeder that's time released and just added another same size but free choice.

I've been feeding AntlerMax mixed with roasted soybeans but recently picked up some MG 20% Deer Pellets that are made in Weimar.

My lease partner feeds L&E and I compared ingredient labels on all 3 and noticed that out of AntlerMax, L&E, and MG, that the MG is the only one who has "Plant Protein Products" as their first ingredient and "Processed Grain By-Products" as their second ingredient. AnlerMax and L&E are opposite with by-products being the first ingredient on their labels.
    I went to MG's website and they make a handful of different deer pellets, but only a couple had actual plant proteins as the first ingredient.

Any protein PRO's out there who can tell me if this is a significant issue or are we talking a very small difference..... Any ideas?

I'm very happy with the AntlerMax, but like the fact that MG has more of a better ingredient in the mix....and the MG is around $3 cheaper per bag.

I'm not a pro, but I've fed both Antlermax and MG at our place (small low fence). Antlermax was marketed to me as having more "attractant" in it to pull more deer to the protein. Our deer are familiar with protein and were consuming about 1000#/week last summer regardless of what brand we fed. I currently feed MG.

That said, the feed store I use keeps Antlermax in bulk and will bulk deliver. If we were high fence and set up for bulk delivery I would probably go Antlermax.

Comment

Not sure if the difference in plant products 1st and 2nd ingredients matter too much but M-G is a good feed very comprable to L&E as well AntlerMax. Antlermax is a bit harder pellet. The bottom of the M-G bags tend to have a little bit of powder. Not much to worry about in my Lamco feeders especially when you figure the savings per pallet.

Comment

I have been feeding MG off and on for 2 years. Primarily when I can't make it to town and pick up AntlerMax. The deer don't miss a beat when I change it up, but last year I had a several bags with a strong chemical odor. Could have been that one batch that our feed store had. Deer still ate it. As stated previously, Lots of powder. All things being equal, I would buy AntlerMax.

Comment

MG makes some great feed!!!! My buddy hooks me up and drives down to get the feed

Can't beat the price either under $9.50 per 50 lb bag

We have fed 18% MVP and also 20% ST

It is similar to big name brands but cheaper bc no advertising or fancy bags. Check the labels and VERY VERY SIMILAR
          Last edited by gingib; 05-01-2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I always mix bags when I fill feeders. The next trip to fill, (if I can find it) im.gonna mix Antlermax Energy with Double Down in the self feeder and see how they like that. Probaly keep MG in the other feeder.

Comment

MG is all we feed in Lampasas and our deer love it. They go through about 3 tons a month.

Comment

This is my second year on Double Down. Used antlermax and also had good results. Tried Record rack and deer didn't consume very much. The reason I switched to Double Down is because of the secret ingredient antler enhancer.

Comment

Lol! Nice.....

Comment

Here are some of the protein ingredient comparisons that may help
                    Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone have an analysis of the different feeds like antlermax and DD?

I have L&E, Fehner & Son, and BCCA, but not the others.

would love to compare

Jim Hunt

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                        Here are some of the protein ingredient comparisons that may help
                        Which 20% feed is this from MG? They make several 20% varieties

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Which 20% feed is this from MG? They make several 20% varieties
                          I am not sure - I got this data a few months back - I think it was their post rut blend but cannot remember for sure

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                            Does anyone have an analysis of the different feeds like antlermax and DD?

I have L&E, Fehner & Son, and BCCA, but not the others.

would love to compare

Jim Hunt
                            see the post above you

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              It is similar to big name brands but cheaper bc no advertising or fancy bags. Check the labels and VERY VERY SIMILAR
                              A lot of feed mill feeds are like that because they are just about an exact knockoff of the major brands. They let the large brands spend the $$ on the research to develop the feed and they simply send to a lab and reproduce a knock off.

Comment

Working...
                              X